PDA

View Full Version : will dejaoffice sync 755P with outlook (no palm desktop)?

spar10
05-29-2010, 10:55 AM
i do not use palm desktop and would like to sync all of my contacts, calendar and memos with the evo i'm about to purchase. will dejaoffice work without palm desktop involved?

DJOCTO
05-29-2010, 01:32 PM
Spar10 Welcome to the Forums!

I'm confused. DejaOffice will work fine on the Evo, at least that's what we expect.

Are you saying you want to move Contacts, Calendar and Memos from your Treo 755p ? How do you expect to do that?

In order to move them to the Evo, your Contacts, Calendar, and Memos need to be stored on a PC or in the Cloud. I would suggest just downloading and using Palm Desktop to move them from the Treo 755p to the PC. Then you can use CompanionLink USB to sync the data via USB cable.

If you have no backup of the data on your Treo 755, I would suggest trying to get one before moving anything. Is there any option to go to memory card? I think the most important thing is to insure your data is secure and backed up before you try moving it to other platforms.

spar10
05-29-2010, 02:30 PM
thank you for your reply and i'm sorry if i was too vague.

my goal is to sync all of my outlook 2007 contacts, calendar and memos to the evo. will dejaoffice sync between outlook and the evo?

DJOCTO
05-29-2010, 05:48 PM
CompanionLink USB will synchronize Contacts, Calendar and Memos from Outlook (any version) to DejaOffice on the Evo.

For more details go here: http://www.companionlink.com/androidusb/ol-android-usb.html

If you have fewer than 1500 contacts, you can sync "through" DejaOffice to the onboard Contact application. Calendar also syncs "through".

If you have more than 1500 contacts it may be better to not go to the onboard Contacts. The exact number it can handle appears to be dependent on speed and OS Version, so I have high hopes the Evo running Android 2.2 will tolerate larger databases. DejaOffice will go much higher, more than 20,000 contacts, but is not yet closely tied into the Dialer application (coming soon).

spar10
05-29-2010, 06:01 PM
that's a beautiful thing! i hope it works. i'm making the transition to android because of your product (seriously). no pressure there. :)

if it really works, it will be an enormous upgrade for me to go from my old trustworthy friend, the 755p, to what looks to be an amazing phone, the evo.

thanks!

CompanionLink USB will synchronize Contacts, Calendar and Memos from Outlook (any version) to DejaOffice on the Evo.

For more details go here: http://www.companionlink.com/androidusb/ol-android-usb.html

DJOCTO
05-29-2010, 07:23 PM
Ouch! My searing experience this week was writing a "please go away" letter to an industry professional that was expecting Android to work like Palm, and was willing to yell on the phone until WE made it happen.

It's hard to compare Palm OS devices in the 14th year of lovingly handcrafted 68000 assembler code, to a platform basically in it's first year, that runs what was originally supposed to be a multi-user mini-computer OS, patched and prodded by numerous disjoint teams of paid and unpaid engineers.

I love where it's going. The pace of innovation in Android is unmatched by any other platform. That doesn't remove the rough spots.

For us, the biggest issues is trying to connect into the onboard Contact database. A Palm 5000 could hold 8,000 contacts in 2MB of memory. A standard Android 2 device has 4GB of memory, so therefore it should be able to hold 16 million contacts, right? Instead it holds 2000. It doesn't just run out of memory and get an error. The symptom that you overload it is that phone numbers and company names become "detached" from the base record, and start swapping between record. No error, just total chaos.

DejaOffice doesn't have this problem at all. We've tested as high as 60,000 records and it works fine. So SQLite can do it. It's just bad design on the storage of the native app when applied to larger counts of Contact records. We haven't got a lot of test time yet in Froyo. I'm hoping for better stability in the Contact list, and also better Account management that will allow us to keep our data separate from Google Sync data.

So overall; Android is the future. Android is good. But Android is not trouble free. If you need trouble free, stick with the Treo. A platform on nonstop innovation is going to have some bumps.

Converted
06-09-2010, 07:52 PM
I too am a new Android user "converted" from a 10 year Palm relationship. My last Palm device - 755p. Will miss that ole workhorse!! I held off upgrading until I found all of the pieces needed to make my replacement better than the last 4 yrs with my 755p. I also used ACT as my contact manager. That is until the new versions of ACT became difficult to keep up with thanks to new owners. I then switched to Agendus - another great product for the price. Well I am now a EVO owner. I am thrilled to have found Dejaoffice and look forward to its development. I would be willing to help with it to the best of my ability - let me know. THANK YOU!

DJOCTO
06-09-2010, 08:41 PM
Welcome to our forums Converted.

You managed to derive our secret plan for world dominion; replicate Palm 755 features on Android phones.

I agree on Agendus. I worked pretty closely with Vidal, the founder of Iambic, back in the good old days when PDA's ran on AA batteries and 320x240 pixels was high resolution.

Palm 755 had great features, and I want every one of them replicated in DejaOffice. But our scheme is also to combine in the best of Outlook. Palm never conquered having two categories for one record. But it happens in real life, and we need it covered. After that, it's voice, mapping and imaging. New things these phones do, that haven't yet been transferred to business mode. Our plan is to do this.

startagl
06-11-2010, 05:15 AM
CLCTO, I am looking to switch from the Palm Pre, formerly many many Treos. The Palm Pre is a great device, but slow slow slow, which is the main reason I am switching. How do you make the next generation phone that is going to change how phones should work and put a 1mhz processor in the darn thing! Anyway... you are 1000% correct. Some of these smart phones are not so smart. Your little speech about the direction of dejaOffice just won me over. As soon as my incredible comes in I will be a customer. I just do not understand how developers/manufacters of the latest and greatest next best thing... can ignore all the past great features of older phones.

Keep up the good work. I look forward to the planned improvements.

DJOCTO
06-11-2010, 08:26 PM
> I just do not understand how developers/manufacters of the latest and greatest next best thing... can ignore all the past great features of older phones.

You know what? I DO understand. Through the last few years I've thrown my share of hissy fits, anger mails, and "this is a joke" emails to a number of phone OS makers. As someone who has been in the handheld sync business since 1988, I feel I have a long term perspective they often lack.

My conclusion is that corporations are just brain-dead stupid, and to protect their stupid opinions, they block any voice that doesn't affirm their stupidity. It's dilbertville to the core.