PDA

View Full Version : Syncing contacts from Palm Desktop -> DejaOffice misses some contacts



tbessie
06-02-2010, 03:17 AM
Hello all...

I'm trying out DejaOffice and CompanionLink USB, and attempting to sync one-way from Palm Desktop to DejaOffice on my Android Nexus One.

Everything seems to work pretty well, except that some of my contacts are missing. They are not "hidden" records on the Palm, there is nothing unusual about them, but they don't show up on DejaOffice.

However, since I have DejaOffice set up to sync to the Android Contacts database, I notice that some (perhaps all?) of the missing contacts in DejaOffice HAVE been synced to the native Contacts database on the phone.

This seems pretty strange behavior. Can you recommend a way I might go about debugging this problem?

Since I have around 290 contacts, and right now 9 are missing from the sync'd phone, I'm going to go down the list one by one and compare, and see if there's anything in common among the missing ones.

- Tim

Eric
06-02-2010, 01:33 PM
Welcome to the forums, Tim! You might check that you are viewing "All Categories" in DejaContacts. At the top of DejaContacts (right below the "DejaContacts" heading) there's a bar that shows you what category you are currently viewing. Tap this bar, and then make sure to select "All Categories" (which is typically the topmost option). You should then see "All Categories" in the bar. Now that you are viewing all contacts, check to see if you can find your missing records.

tbessie
06-02-2010, 06:44 PM
Welcome to the forums, Tim! You might check that you are viewing "All Categories" in DejaContacts. At the top of DejaContacts (right below the "DejaContacts" heading) there's a bar that shows you what category you are currently viewing. Tap this bar, and then make sure to select "All Categories" (which is typically the topmost option). You should then see "All Categories" in the bar. Now that you are viewing all contacts, check to see if you can find your missing records.

Hello Eric, and thanks for the warm welcome!

Of course I had all categories selected - that's the 1st thing I checked. :-)

- tim

Eric
06-03-2010, 12:29 PM
Were you able to find any commonalities among these nine contacts? Are you syncing the Android contacts to Google or somewhere else? And if so is it possible that the nine contacts synced from there instead? Also, if you try a search in DejaOffice for one of these missing contacts, do you get any results (I'm guessing you've tried this already)?

tbessie
06-04-2010, 12:15 AM
Were you able to find any commonalities among these nine contacts? Are you syncing the Android contacts to Google or somewhere else? And if so is it possible that the nine contacts synced from there instead? Also, if you try a search in DejaOffice for one of these missing contacts, do you get any results (I'm guessing you've tried this already)?

I've tried the search, without success. I haven't yet had the time to compare all the contacts yet (time-consuming, as you can imagine). I will do it this weekend and report back here. :-)

- Tim

DJOCTO
06-05-2010, 08:48 PM
TBessie, we FOUND IT!

Woowoo. Thanks for persisting. I also persisted with one of my programmers. On Fridway we finally identified a logic flaw in comparing record IDs from native Contacts to DejaContacts. In a "String to Integer" sort, it managed to mess up approximately 10% of the time. This is now fixed in my inhouse version. We will release the fix in a few days.

I apologize for the problem. But I'm happy to say that in our internal tests this seems to fix 3-4 anomolies we've seen reported in Contact sync having to do with record count mismatch, and also deletes and adds not being properly synchronized. All should be a "past headache" with the next update.

Thank you for your input. It really makes a difference.