PDA

View Full Version : Populating new task / new event field "subject"

Miguel
12-06-2010, 02:39 PM
Anything that can save typing on a small device should be tried.
This suggestion is really easy to program:

When a new task OR new event is started from within a contact, the subject field should be populated with e.g. <<name>> + <<default phone number>>.

Imagine this situation: you get a call in the car and somebody sets an appointment. You will probably know what the meeting is for and who will be there but you might be afraid to forget the exact date. So you push the new event/task button and set the date but the subject is blank so you are forced to activate the keyboard, which in most phones can't be done with one hand.

Thanks for considering this suggestion.

Miguel
12-06-2010, 02:57 PM
UPDATE

I could swear last time I tried to create a new event from within an open contact, that contact was taking into that event record as a "with", thereby creating a very very useful one-click link between an event and a contact record.

But that seems not to be happening now. Is there a setting I am missing or did you change this from the last version?

Thomas
02-07-2011, 08:18 AM
UPDATE

I could swear last time I tried to create a new event from within an open contact, that contact was taking into that event record as a "with", thereby creating a very very useful one-click link between an event and a contact record.

But that seems not to be happening now. Is there a setting I am missing or did you change this from the last version?

Miguel,

What version of DejaOffice are you using and on what type of device?
Model
OS
Version

Miguel
02-17-2011, 10:26 AM
Hi again,

I have now upgraded to the latest version and have been creating new events from out of an address record without any problem. The link works so maybe I made a handling mistake when I posted above message.

What is still a mess is populating the event description field. That field is empty and you cannot (I suppose! and it would not make any sense anyway) save a new event record with an empty description field.

Please, please consider populating it with some text, my suggesting is putting the name of the person in. As it stands, I'm driving and have to type in while holding the phone in one hand anything recognizable on an android virtual keyboard. You can imagine the result! Sometimes I get to the office, synchronize and then can't recognize or remember what I meant!

This is easy programming. Please consider it.

Thanks,

Miguel

Thomas
02-17-2011, 12:52 PM
Hi again,

I have now upgraded to the latest version and have been creating new events from out of an address record without any problem. The link works so maybe I made a handling mistake when I posted above message.

What is still a mess is populating the event description field. That field is empty and you cannot (I suppose! and it would not make any sense anyway) save a new event record with an empty description field.

Please, please consider populating it with some text, my suggesting is putting the name of the person in. As it stands, I'm driving and have to type in while holding the phone in one hand anything recognizable on an android virtual keyboard. You can imagine the result! Sometimes I get to the office, synchronize and then can't recognize or remember what I meant!

This is easy programming. Please consider it.

Thanks,

Miguel

Hi Miquel, it is possible to save an event without a subject.
We also have plans for designing DejaOffice so it is easier to navigate for people on the go. Please stay posted.