PDA

View Full Version : DejaTasks - what happened to sorting by date??

zclubber462
06-10-2010, 06:56 PM
I just downloaded the 1.5.0 update, and now none of my tasks are sorts by date? What gives?

DJOCTO
06-10-2010, 07:07 PM
Doh! Something went wrong! I'll check on it. None of the task sorts can be selected. There should be Sort by Priority, Date, Subject etc. We'll post something quickly.

zclubber462
06-10-2010, 07:11 PM
Thanks for the quick answer! Hopefully the fix will be quick, too.

zclubber462
06-11-2010, 08:07 AM
any time frame of the fix? my day is already more complicated. 8)

Eric
06-11-2010, 09:13 AM
We're working on it now, in fact. Check for an update later today.

zclubber462
06-11-2010, 09:28 AM
Thanks for the quick info.

zclubber462
06-11-2010, 04:06 PM
Got the 1.5.1 update, and the release notes said it fixed the sorting issue and added it back to the settings, but it didn't work.

DJOCTO
06-11-2010, 07:30 PM
It's right there. Tap and hold on the Task List. You'll see some options to change sort. Sort by Priority, Sort by Date, Sort by Subject.

This did indeed get created, and then "cleaned" in 1.5. The sorting returned in DejaOffice 1.5.1.

BTW- Sort by date still has a problem. Items with "no due date" need to be on the bottom. Right now they are on the top because to a programmer items with no date are "lighter" than items with a date. Us business people know that items with no due date are probably low priority, so the belong low on the list. This will be fixed soon.

zclubber462
06-11-2010, 09:13 PM
Ahh. Not in the "Settings" when I hit the menu button on my Evo, but it's there when I tap and hold on an individual task. Then it affects the whole list. Thanks. BTW, never a problem with tasks with no due date. All tasks have a date assigned. Thanks again for the update. Everything works beautiful. Great product, thanks again.

zclubber462
06-11-2010, 09:19 PM
Really like the multiple category addition, btw! And great communication with us users as well. It's a welcome change to some other developers.

DJOCTO
06-11-2010, 09:25 PM
I'm very sorry for the confusion. I'm very much trying to get things into context menus, and off of old dusty settings that were once three screens away. A bit difficult for people used to the "older" version.

And zclubber, thanks for the note! If it weren't for your timely post, we probably still would have missed it in todays release. This whole product is getting pretty big. Internally we have as many as 2-3 builds a day. So after a couple weeks we get a bit numb to all the details. Sometimes it takes the clear vision of someone outside our team to tell us the obvious.

xjamesb
06-18-2010, 05:25 AM
I'm very sorry for the confusion. I'm very much trying to get things into context menus, and off of old dusty settings that were once three screens away. A bit difficult for people used to the "older" version.
.... Sometimes it takes the clear vision of someone outside our team to tell us the obvious.

I hope I can help,

Context menu hell -

FIRST POINT
This is my first smart phone and I am not familiar with Android User Interface conventions. However it the most application design it is considered essential to "show the user the available options". Context menus break this rule and should be provided for power users. First time users should be supported by visible cues. EG a settings icon next to TASKS.

* "is tap and hold" always "right click" in Android or did you make that up?

I just had a very frustrating couple of hours before I found this thread.

SECOND POINT
The Context Menu that contains the "Sort" and "Show" options should be on the TASK header not the individual task because it applies to all tasks.

THIRD POINT
In your menu labelling you have mixed up "Sort" and "Show". For example "Show by Due Date" should read "Sort by Due Date Ascending".

"Show" is the word you use for filtering, I believe that your intent is a restriction i.e. a Where clause

"Show Last 7 days" should read "Show only last 7 days".

EDGE CASES
In GTD the user may not have set any priorities or due dates, or may wish not to display them. This gives more of the screen for displaying the task name. I find that the current implementation only shows the first 11 characters of the subject because you reserve space for the other columns. This makes it almost unusable

FEATURE REQUEST
At the level of TASKS please provide the menu items

* Show due dates
* Show priorities

Note the plural because this is a global setting.

FOURTH POINT
The category boxes are much too big. They waste a huge number of pixels on a small phone.
Outlook users expect curved edges to the boxes.

Many thanks for you keen attention to user's requirements.

Eric
06-18-2010, 08:31 AM
xjamesb, thank you for the extremely helpful feedback regarding our user interface. I'm passing all of this along to our developers.