PDA

View Full Version : Application specific categories?

Jayhawk94
06-11-2010, 11:06 AM
The PalmOS apps would have categories specific to each app, so I would have groups of people in the contacts app, categories of tasks that were work-related or personal, notes had their own categories and so on. Outlook doesn't seem to support that though; all my contact categories show up in the task app and vice versa. Could that be changed on the DejaOffice side? Is there functionality to change this within Outlook that I'm ignorant of?

Thanks for the speedy replies and releases - Kyle

Eric
06-11-2010, 11:22 AM
Hi Kyle! We want DejaOffice to have PalmOS-type functionality, while remaining compatible with PIMs like Outlook (which has these blanket categories). However, I'm thinking that we might be able to add a feature that would allow you to set your category view on a per-app basis. For example, you'd be able to see categories A, B, and C when you are in DejaContacts, but then see categories D, E, and F when you are in DejaNotes. I'll have to pass this idea along to the developers.

Jayhawk94
06-11-2010, 06:07 PM
That would work! An end-user doesn't need or want to know about what's going on underneath to make these apps work the way he wants it to, just that they do. Personally I like hearing about it, but the big picture is the functionality for the end-user.
While I only have 10 or 15 contact categories, I remember reading a post here from someone with 100+ contact categories. Zoiks! He'd love your idea when using any of the other apps.

Again, thank you for reading and replying to our posts! -Kyle

DJOCTO
06-11-2010, 08:27 PM
Jayhawk and Eric, I've already thought about it.

Our goal is to balance Palm design with Outlook. Palm Categories came from Jeff Hawkins in 1996. You recall that Jeff limited Categories to 15, and didn't allow Categories in the Calendar until about 2003. Outlook was created in 1997 based on Schedule Plus. Since inception, Outlook has featured a single Category list for all conduits, and Calendar items had Categories. Outlook allows multiple categories per record; Palm only allowed one.

I certainly hear the point about balancing 100 categories for Contacts against 4-5 for Tasks. But at this time, Outlook is thriving and Palm is not. We are supporting nearly all the Outlook model now. That means identical categories in the conduits, more than 15 categories, and multiple categories per record (a new feature in DejaOffice 1.5).

I made this decision some time ago. You can convince me otherwise by stating a) there is some mode in Outlook to not display all Categories for all conduits, or b) There is a critical difference between large screen (PC) and small screen (Phone) navigation that justifies the user confusion by Categories being handled differently on the small screen. The latter is plausible, but for our star rating we still need to balance conceptually simple categories against a more detailed model.

Jayhawk94
06-12-2010, 09:58 AM
I guess I'm still working in the Palm paradigm with categories in that categories are specific to an app. For example, one is all my recipes are under "Food/Drink" in the Notes app. That obviously has no place in any other app.

Mainly though, it's the limited screen real estate issue of a mobile device that drives my desire for this feature. Nearly all my tasks and calendar entries are created on the phone, while most contacts and notes are created on the PC. I'd rather not need to scroll the categories when creating a new task.

I'm still adjusting to both the phone and the OS though, so probably won't bat an eye over it in a month or two. I think that ignorance and inexperience with the OS and your rapidly evolving product is both my strength and weakness when providing feedback and asking questions.