PDA

View Full Version : HTC Sync and other ques

bry54
06-12-2010, 07:38 AM
I am a new Android user for about 3 months. Like other users here I've been trying to locate a good single application to keep track of appointments, contacts, tasks etc. I've been trying different individual apps from The Market to try to accomplish this but looking for an easier way. DejaOffice looks like it may be the way to go.
I've looked through the site & forums and didn't find or missed these answers.

1. I have an HTC Eris with the 2.0 update. Has anyone found any what I call "gotchas" with the Eris? A "gotcha" isn't necessarily a bad thing, just a quirk or bug no one may have realized would happen.

2. Can HTC Synch be used with DejaOffice for a USB sync or can I only use and also have to purchase Companionlink?

3. I'm a part of a 4 person company but we do not have an exchange server and each keep track of our own appts, contacts, etc. Also have individual POP3 email addresses. So I'm like a one person business. Is DejaOffice a good fit for non-exchange serverr uses?

4. Is DejaOffice info saved to the SD card or do I have to be concerned with my phone memory?

Last ques. for now.
5. I realize DejaOffice is a continuing work in progress to add features & functionality. But is there any type of user documentation that can be downloaded to reference offline? Unfortunately even in this day & time, there are some parts of the areas I travel to I do not always have wireless service. One of the reasons I prefer not to have everything "in the cloud." Being able to have at least some type of basic guide on my phone or laptop would be helpful.

Thanks and I look forward to trying out DejaOffice.

DJOCTO
06-12-2010, 07:57 AM
Here are some answers:

2. Can HTC Synch be used with DejaOffice for a USB sync or can I only use and also have to purchase Companionlink?

This is not something we particularly test. However our goal is to make DJO compatible with core fields onboard Contacts and Calendars without regard to where they came from. So you can use Google Sync, Exchange Activesync or even Touchdown to grab the core fields. DJO uses many special fields like Categories, Custom Fields, Linked Contacts, as well as two additional tables; Tasks and Notes. CompanionLink Sync is the only tool right now that back's up ALL the additional data.

3. I'm a part of a 4 person company but we do not have an exchange server and each keep track of our own appts, contacts, etc. Also have individual POP3 email addresses. So I'm like a one person business. Is DejaOffice a good fit for non-exchange serverr uses?

DejaOffice is tailored for standalone Outlook.

4. Is DejaOffice info saved to the SD card or do I have to be concerned with my phone memory?

Media Memory, which for most Androids is the SD Card. CompanionLink uses very little memory. 1000 contacts is smaller than a single ringtone.

5. But is there any type of user documentation that can be downloaded to reference offline?

No guide is available at this time. Maybe someone will write one!

wallach
06-12-2010, 08:39 AM
I am a new android user attempting to sync my phone to my outlook (server based) using deja office. My contacts were imported randomly with both last names and first names being used though in outlook everything was organized by last name. Additionally, I find that i have multiple calendars on my phone with duplicates of the same appointments. what have i done wrong?
Thanks

bry54
06-12-2010, 08:43 AM
CLCTO

Thanks for the quick reply.

This is not something we particularly test. However our goal is to make DJO compatible with core fields onboard Contacts and Calendars without regard to where they came from. So you can use Google Sync, Exchange Activesync or even Touchdown to grab the core fields. DJO uses many special fields like Categories, Custom Fields, Linked Contacts, as well as two additional tables; Tasks and Notes. CompanionLink Sync is the only tool right now that back's up ALL the additional data.

I'm not as familiar with the in's & out's of Android as I am with some parts of Windows. Could you point me to some type of primer of the basic Android terms to learn which are core fields etc so I can determine whether HTC Sync will work the type of field I currently use?

DejaOffice is tailored for standalone Outlook.

Great.

Media Memory, which for most Androids is the SD Card. CompanionLink uses very little memory. 1000 contacts is smaller than a single ringtone.

I should have been clearer on this. DeJaOffice & Companionlink will reside on the internal phone memory, correct? Media Memery = SD card and wher the contacts, calendar & tasks data are stored. Got it.

No guide is available at this time. Maybe someone will write one!

How about a sticky "Tips" where some how-to's can be contributed? Unless there already is one & I 've missed it.

Kaena
06-13-2010, 10:30 AM
I'm not as familiar with the in's & out's of Android as I am with some parts of Windows. Could you point me to some type of primer of the basic Android terms to learn which are core fields etc so I can determine whether HTC Sync will work the type of field I currently use?

To clarify,

You're able to use HTC Sync to sync your Outlook contacts and calendar to the native Android contacts and calendar databases. DejaOffice can then read and copy that data into it's own database. While HTC Sync will bring over the basic fields, like name, email address, and phone number, it doesn't sync more advnaced fields such as categories. To sum it up, you can use HTC Sync (or Google sync) with DejaOffice for basic functions, but you'll need CompanionLink USB to really use DejaOffice to it's full potential.

Kaena
06-18-2010, 03:46 PM
How about a sticky "Tips" where some how-to's can be contributed? Unless there already is one & I 've missed it.

bry54,

We've just launched a walkthrough/guide to DejaOffice. Check it out over at www.dejaoffice.com/classroom (http://www.dejaoffice.com/classroom)

It's online only at the moment, but it does look nice in the Android browser. If you need to access it when you have no data connection, you may want to print a copy out (or print to pdf, and toss the pdf on your memory card).

bry54
06-20-2010, 11:12 AM
Kaena,

Good work with the walkthrough guide. This has answered some questions and I am sure will be helpful to future users.