Thread: Global categories

Global categories

I really, really, really would love categories to be per app, palm-style. This global categories thing is counterintuitive, unreasonable, and forces you to navigate through much more as many categories as you would need if they were per app.

Funny, I just read in another thread that the beta version supports per app categories. So I happily updgraded, but I'm still seeing global categories. What gives?

DejaOffice Team
    Go to the Categories app and then select a category. Here you can assign which conduit each category applies to.

Excellent!

Well, not so excellent after all. First, this method of having to go through all the categories one by one checking and unchecking apps is really heavy. Why can't DJO create a list of categories for each app by automatically enumerating the categories used by the elements in the app, and discarding those that are not used by any elements in the app? Palm does it, so does Outlook. I'm not a programmer, but you really have me wondering here.

Second, when I open the Categories app, I see numerous instances of the same category. This doesn't happen with all categories, but it happens with many. But then, when I go into, say, DejaNotes, and list the categories, each one appears only once. The problem is, how do I know which instance of each category is the one I need to configure in the Categories app?

The initial cause of the problem seems to be that I had many items that belonged to categories that didn't exist in the Main Category List (or whatever it's called). But, after including those "orphan" categories in the main list and syncing again, they continued to appear multiple times on the phone.

DejaOffice Team Member
    Quote Originally Posted by druk View Post
    The initial cause of the problem seems to be that I had many items that belonged to categories that didn't exist in the Main Category List (or whatever it's called). But, after including those "orphan" categories in the main list and syncing again, they continued to appear multiple times on the phone.
    Hi druk,

We just identified in DejaOffice a problem with how Categories are managed. I expect to have a fix for this soon.