Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Copy calendar items

Copy calendar items

I would like to request to have the ability to copy calendar items in DejaOffice (through long click menu on item for instance) as I regular schedule a new meeting at the end of a certain meeting with the same client/team and with the same subject. That way I can copy the calendar item with only providing a new date/time.

I also think this would be a good feature if it can be done.

Any truly good PIM app should have:

1. Ability to duplicate any kind of item
    2. Attach alarms to any kind of item
    3. Associate any number of categories with any kind of item
    4. Associate any number of contacts with any kind of item (perhaps with an attached Context or Role note)
    5. Allow any dated item to be repeatable, with any kind of repeat configuration imaginable, with rollover capability
    6. Allow the user, through long-click menu, to create any kind of item from any contact to create the item associated with that contact
    7. Allow mappings between desktop and device fields, both nominally and positionally (if fields are ever treated based on position)

etc etc

...things Outlook and many Palm apps (eg. Agendus, Datebook3, etc.) have been able to do for 10 or more years.

Let's hope DejaOffice will match this challenge! I certainly hope so! :-)

-Tim
    Last edited by tbessie; 06-21-2010 at 02:39 AM.

Tim, Looks like we are on the road:

> 1. Ability to duplicate any kind of item

This is in our plans...

> 2. Attach alarms to any kind of item

We have Alarms on Tasks, and on Calendar. This matches Outlook. I'm not so sure whether it is appropriate to add alarms for Contacts, Memos or Expenses. Can you give me a use case?

> 3. Associate any number of categories with any kind of item

Done

> 4. Associate any number of contacts with any kind of item (perhaps with an attached Context or Role note)

Done for Calendar and Tasks. This is something Palm never did.

> 5. Allow any dated item to be repeatable, with any kind of repeat configuration imaginable, with rollover capability

Oh, no. Repeats are not a fun toy. They are amazingly difficult to propagate to other platforms. The key with repeats is to match the other platform EXACTLY. Any variant brings about complaints of incompatibility as in "I hate your sync product because it won't show "First Monday of the Month" right on Android (which doesn't support it)".

> 6. Allow the user, through long-click menu, to create any kind of item from any contact to create the item associated with that contact

Calendar, Tasks now create from Contact View screen. These are the two types that can be associated with a contact. We'll include this for Expense. I can see doing this for Memos also.

> 7. Allow mappings between desktop and device fields, both nominally and positionally (if fields are ever treated based on position)

You need to design for the audience. Fixed mappings win every day. Keep in mind that we sync with 9 Android versions (1.5, 1.5 SenseUI, 1.5 MotoBlur, 1.6, 1.6 SenseUI, 1.6 MotoBlur, 2.0, 2.1, .2.2 etc). For Outlook we sync with Outlook 2001-2010, Outlook using Exchange 2003, 2007, 2010, and for 2010 there are 32-bit and 64-bit versions. Multiply it out and there are more than 80 combinations of Android to Outlook. To try to break out individual field mappings for these many platforms would create a nightmare product. Sorry about this.

Thanks for all the info, CTO person :-) (not sure what you're name is, so that's the best I can do :-) ).

Very enlightening - I'm a software engineer and have dealt with some of these problems, but never to the scale you have to deal with. Please take my comments in a constructive vein, and not meant as mean-spirited criticism. After years of using PIMs and desktop apps (as have so many of us), I have a lot of things that feel like "must haves". For a new product, I don't expect everything to be there from day one. Most of these products took years to evolve, with tweaks and feature adds over long periods of time. I just want to make sure to pick the best and longest-lived one. Hard to know in advance.

All that said, I am very appreciative CompanionLink and your various products exist - you've been helpful in managing my life for quite some time. :-)

- Tim

Here's some comments on your comments, by the way...

>> 1. Ability to duplicate any kind of item
    >This is in our plans...
    Yay! :-)

>> 2. Attach alarms to any kind of item
    >
    >We have Alarms on Tasks, and on Calendar. This matches Outlook. I'm not so sure whether it is appropriate to add alarms for Contacts, Memos or Expenses. Can you give me a use case?
    Alarms on memos makes sense - it's kind of like a task, but without an association with a date. "Remember to take out the garbage!" for example. :-)

Alarms on expenses, too - "Who asked me to buy this item?" reminder alarm, for example.

Contacts, yeah, I agree that that can be handled with a Task. I like the idea of Tasks being of multiple types - TODOs, Calls, etc. But I suppose you could use categories for that.

>> 3. Associate any number of categories with any kind of item
    >Done
    Of cawse. :-)

>> 4. Associate any number of contacts with any kind of item (perhaps with an attached Context or Role note)
    >Done for Calendar and Tasks. This is something Palm never did.
    Not natively, no, but I'm coming from using Agendus (aka ActionNames) for years. They've got a zillion features. Granted, I don't use all of them, but they've managed to do some pretty neat things. For example, multiple contacts associated per item, or their "trips" meeting type, that can create a virtual "trip" item which is composed of various meetings (flight times, airline/travel companies, etc.), etc. Not a necessity for a good PIM, but amazingly helpful if you travel a lot.

>> 5. Allow any dated item to be repeatable, with any kind of repeat configuration imaginable, with rollover capability
    >
    >Oh, no. Repeats are not a fun toy. They are amazingly difficult to propagate to other platforms. The key with repeats is to match the other platform EXACTLY. Any variant brings about complaints of incompatibility as in "I hate your sync product because it won't show "First Monday of the Month" right on Android (which doesn't support it)".
    Yes, I can imagine that. As long as it syncs with newer variants of Outlook, I'm happy. But there again, I've been spoiled by Agendus. They support most flavors of repeating events, repeating tasks with rollover, etc. They only sync to Palm Desktop and Outlook (with their own plugin), and they *did* write their own Palm Desktop replacement app, which most companies will never do, of course. So I've definitely been spoiled.

So are you saying you're not going to support the usual flavors of repeating events? No "First Monday of the Month"? No "3rd Thursday in November"? No "4th Friday in March, or Last Friday if there is no 4th one"? (for example)

>> 6. Allow the user, through long-click menu, to create any kind of item from any contact to create the item associated with that contact
    >Calendar, Tasks now create from Contact View screen. These are the two types that can be associated with a contact. We'll include this for Expense. I can see doing this for Memos also.
    More Hoorays! :-)

>> 7. Allow mappings between desktop and device fields, both nominally and positionally (if fields are ever treated based on position)
    >
    >You need to design for the audience. Fixed mappings win every day. Keep in mind that we sync with 9 Android versions (1.5, 1.5 SenseUI, 1.5 MotoBlur, 1.6, 1.6 SenseUI, 1.6 MotoBlur, 2.0, 2.1, .2.2 etc). For Outlook we sync with Outlook 2001-2010, Outlook using Exchange 2003, 2007, 2010, and for 2010 there are 32-bit and 64-bit versions. Multiply it out and there are more than 80 combinations of Android to Outlook. To try to break out individual field mappings for these many platforms would create a nightmare product. Sorry about this.
    When you say fixed mappings, how do you mean it?

For example, on Palm Desktop (well, Agendus for Windows - I can't recall if the regular Palm Desktop does this) has 7 or whatever entries for contact numbers/emails, each tagged with a type. But you're allowed to change the type for each entry. So they can ALL be "mobile #" or "Email addr" etc. If each contact I have has a different ordering of contact (i.e. phone, email, etc.) types within the set, they should all be syncing by contact type, and not what order they appear in the list.

"Fixed" to me would mean "Contact Box #1 is always email1, Contact Box #2 is always email2, Contact Box #3 is always cell1" etc. And that would not be good.

Anyway, just some of my opinions on PIM design (as a usual and sympathetic programmer).

- Tim

Tom, I'm sure you are appreciative that it all comes at a cost.

I'm a great fan of Agendus and Vidal and I were founding members in the Palm Community. However, Agendus over time became a "kitchen sink" product by the 14th year. This is where DJO will be in 2024.

Let's work on 2010 for now. We need simple. We need it to work. Our "fires" our focused on people who insist on native contact/calendar functionality when both native contacts and calendars stink. You, for instance.

Do you want us to spend 90% of our time trying to make the stinky pig sing?

Or do you want us to spend 90% of our time making a separate app be independent.

Please choose one.

Quote Originally Posted by CLCTO View Post
    Tom, I'm sure you are appreciative that it all comes at a cost.

I'm a great fan of Agendus and Vidal and I were founding members in the Palm Community. However, Agendus over time became a "kitchen sink" product by the 14th year. This is where DJO will be in 2024.
    Indeed - I recall lots of comments on the Iambic forums where people requested elimination of bugs over new features. Everyone has a favorite feature set, of course, and lack of movement on one will just annoy those who love them, while pleasing those who love the ones getting worked on.

Then again, Outlook is a Kitchen Sink kind of product as well.

Let's work on 2010 for now. We need simple. We need it to work. Our "fires" our focused on people who insist on native contact/calendar functionality when both native contacts and calendars stink. You, for instance.
    Actually, I think you got me wrong on that count - I actually don't care that much for native syncing, since the native apps are so meager. The only things I like about them are their integration with other apps (identification of linkable items, mostly, and with the call manager). If a replacement app can do that, I'd gladly do without native app syncing. Since I NEVER want to sync with the cloud, it matters even less.

Do you want us to spend 90% of our time trying to make the stinky pig sing?
    Ha! No indeed.

Or do you want us to spend 90% of our time making a separate app be independent.

Please choose one.
    The 2nd, of course - did I not make that clear? I'll have to go back and reread this thread to see where I may have implied that. I care far more about accurate, configurable and highly-reliable 2-way syncing with the desktop (Outlook at least; Palm Desktop is a bonus). *Integration* with the native platform is also nice, but syncing with the native apps not as important to me.

- Tim

PS My name is Tim :-)
    Last edited by tbessie; 06-22-2010 at 12:25 AM.

By the way, I want to make clear that I'm not expecting all this for free or anything. I post a bit on Brighthand, and if you read my posts there, you can see I'd be willing to pay quite a bit - up into the hundreds of dollars - to have a really full-featured Android PIM app. I don't think one can depend on an economic ecosystem where people expect to pay $5 for something and have it be wonderful.

- Tim

What possibilities and what limits for repeat events ?

Hi,

I've been on Android for 10 days day and gradually adapting after 8 years on Palm. On the Palm OS I have used Agendus for years and found the basic Calendar and Contacts most frustrating on my HTC Desire. After much searching and many downloads I found DejaOffice which makes my feel more at ease with my new device.

Have read comments on the forum and don't want to ask too much too soon ()... But repeat events from the Google calendar do not seem to transfer and this makes it impossible to rely on the the Calendar from DejaOffice. Does this come from a problem with my configuration or does the "Read Android Data" only transfer the first of repeating events ?

Looking forward to developments but can't cope without recurring events !

Thanks for the good work so far

Christophe

HTC Desire

[QUOTE=CLCTO;491]Tim, Looks like we are on the road:

> 5. Allow any dated item to be repeatable, with any kind of repeat configuration imaginable, with rollover capability

Oh, no. Repeats are not a fun toy. They are amazingly difficult to propagate to other platforms. The key with repeats is to match the other platform EXACTLY. Any variant brings about complaints of incompatibility as in "I hate your sync product because it won't show "First Monday of the Month" right on Android (which doesn't support it)".

Closed Thread