Thread: Date/Time picker - nice! and some suggestions

Date/Time picker - nice! and some suggestions

Yet another in my "reactions after upgrading to 1.10" series ...

First off, a HUGE thank you for the new date/time picker! It is a big improvement over the stock Android pickers, and makes things much, much easier and more efficient.

I do, however, have a few suggestions to improve it even more:

1. Have it follow the calendar color theme. I have a hard time reading light-on-dark

2. OK and Cancel are backward - OK should be on the left, and Cancel should be on the right (per age-old standards)

3. It feels like the first time I try to click an hour, I get the one below it. Subsequent clicks get the correct hour. That might be me moving too fast, but my sense is that it's happening consistently.

4. I clicked on the date for a calendar event, and it brought me to the date/time picker; I then had to click the date again to get the pick-from-calendar (which is also nice, by the way). I think I'd rather have clicking a date field bring me directly to the pick-from-calendar. That's certainly what I'm used to, so it's possible I'm having an "it's different so it's bad" moment, but I don't think so. I think going directly to the pick-from-calendar really is more efficient.

5. For calendar events, the date/time picker has both start and end dates on it. I'm definitely having an "it's different" moment on this one, but in this case I'm not sure which is the better way to do it. So I'll raise it here and see what other people think.

I want to emphasize again that the date/time picker is a huge improvement, and the above (with the exception of the OK/Cancel being backward) are minor improvements, not showstoppers.

DejaOffice Team Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RobFreundlich View Post
    Yet another in my "reactions after upgrading to 1.10" series ...

First off, a HUGE thank you for the new date/time picker! It is a big improvement over the stock Android pickers, and makes things much, much easier and more efficient.

I do, however, have a few suggestions to improve it even more:

1. Have it follow the calendar color theme. I have a hard time reading light-on-dark

2. OK and Cancel are backward - OK should be on the left, and Cancel should be on the right (per age-old standards)

3. It feels like the first time I try to click an hour, I get the one below it. Subsequent clicks get the correct hour. That might be me moving too fast, but my sense is that it's happening consistently.

4. I clicked on the date for a calendar event, and it brought me to the date/time picker; I then had to click the date again to get the pick-from-calendar (which is also nice, by the way). I think I'd rather have clicking a date field bring me directly to the pick-from-calendar. That's certainly what I'm used to, so it's possible I'm having an "it's different so it's bad" moment, but I don't think so. I think going directly to the pick-from-calendar really is more efficient.

5. For calendar events, the date/time picker has both start and end dates on it. I'm definitely having an "it's different" moment on this one, but in this case I'm not sure which is the better way to do it. So I'll raise it here and see what other people think.

I want to emphasize again that the date/time picker is a huge improvement, and the above (with the exception of the OK/Cancel being backward) are minor improvements, not showstoppers.
    Rob,

Thanks for the feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to share your observations. Glad you like the new date/time picker. We were not happy with the previous version either.

My own comments on the matter - I think clicking on a date should go to a date-picker, clicking on a time should go to a time-picker, and they should be kept separate for each date and time (and not pop up one panel for a range, even though that could be considered more 'efficient'). This could easily be configurable, anyway, thus pleasing both desires. :-)

Also, the time-picker should be such that you are not limited to 5-minute increments. Perhaps you could pick from the list, as is, but also add the ability to edit (through the keyboard or increment/decrement icons) the minute time values. What if my plane leaves at 11:27? I don't want to HAVE to put 11:25 down.

Or is that editable, and I just missed how it's done?

- Tim