Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: Tasks showing up one day earlier

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    184
    Actually, I lied; it's a NO-TIMED appointment.

    I'm sitting in Philadelphia, and I punch in something like "First day of Prison" as an untimed appointment for Monday, March 14.

    When I get to LA, it appears as if I'm supposed to show up on March 13.

  2. #12
    DejaOffice Team Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,482
    Quote Originally Posted by rjbinney View Post
    Actually, I lied; it's a NO-TIMED appointment.

    I'm sitting in Philadelphia, and I punch in something like "First day of Prison" as an untimed appointment for Monday, March 14.

    When I get to LA, it appears as if I'm supposed to show up on March 13.
    We really want to hunt down and fix little time zone problems like this.
    This helps a lot but I need some more information.
    So this is an all day Calendar event then? Or is it a task?
    Was this event created in DejaCal?
    Was it created in a a different Calendar like Google?
    Was it synced from CompanionLink? What sync method?
    What Android Device are you using and OS?
    If you are willing to give us a copy of your Palm Desktop Data this might be very helpful. Private message me if you have any questions or concerns about that part.
    BTW - Everyone here in the office agrees this would not be an appointment we would want to be early for!

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    184
    My Palm Desktop data is pretty facocked; I screwed the pooch on it once a few years ago, when I bought a new Palm at the airport before going overseas. I'd been on Pacific time, my computer was on Eastern time, and the new Palm was on Greenwich time; so eight years' worth of East Coast appointments shifted seven hours, four years' worth of West Coast appointments shifted TEN hours, and random Asian appointments shifted between 12, 13, and 19 hours Now, it was only the archive, but it was annoying. I finally got it back in order (using Dimex and a realllllly long layover at O'Hare), when I bought the Android.

    I'll try to explain the time zone frustration:

    On the Palm handheld, you'd punch in a new appointment and the city the appointment is in.
    • Let's say I'm on the East Coast. I have a lunch appointment tomorrow in Los Angeles. So I punch in THURSDAY - 12:00N - Los Angeles.

      When I look at my calendar on the HH, it would show for next Thursday: 3:00PM - 'Lunch' (12:00N PST). Because, when it's Noon in LA, it's 3PM in Philly.

      When I land in LA and look at my calendar, it would read: 12:00N - 'Lunch'

      Now, that's an easy one. It DOES get trickier.
    • Let's say I'm in Denver. I have a conference call scheduled for Friday at 12N Eastern time. I punch in FRIDAY - 12:00N - Princeton.

      NOW, when I look at my calendar, it reads: 10:00AM - 'Conference Call' (12:00N EST). So if I stay in Denver, the alarm will go off at 10, when it's Noon back East.

      Trouble is, I'm going to Chicago on Friday. So when I land at 10:30 and look at my calendar, it automagically has adjusted to read: 11:00AM - 'Conference Call' (12:00N EST)

      But wait - it gets even trickier.
    • Last Sunday, I flew from Philadelphia to Salt Lake, and changed planes in Phoenix. I punched into my handheld: SUNDAY - 9:15 PM - (Phoenix). I also had punched in an appointment for the flight from Philly to Phoenix, that began at 3:35 EST and was five hours long. So the Palm knew I'd land in Phoenix at 6:30 PM.

      So when my wife looks at my calendar to see what time we'll talk, she'd see a break between 8:30 EST (which is 6:30 in Phoenix) and 11:15 EST (which is 9:15 in Phoenix. She'd also see that I land at 1AM Monday Eastern Standard time, 11PM Sunday Mountain Standard time.

      Now let's make it reallllly tricky.
    • This Sunday, I'm taking the exact same flight. But get this: Arizona (among her many other sins) does not participate in Daylight Savings Time (really). So when I punch in my five hour flight that leaves Philadelphia at 3:35, it knows I will land at 5:30 MST, which is really 8:30 EDT! My Phoenix flight now leaves at 8:15 MST, which is really 11:15 EDT - so as far as my wife is concerned, I'm on the ground at the exact same time. But I need to make sure I head to the gate in Phoenix an hour "earlier" than I'm used to. Incidentally, I punch in the appointment SUNDAY - 8:15 PM - (Phoenix) for the same length of time, and when I get to Salt Lake, it's now mysteriously 11PM (MDT).


    Now, on the Palm HANDHELD (not the Desktop - you couldn't enter multiple time zones), if you entered appointments the way I described, everything was hunky-dory.

    But on the Android:
    • If I want to schedule the appointment for lunch in Los Angeles, I have to say to myself, "What is the time differential between LA and right here?... So, if it's Noon in LA, it would be 3PM here..." and I'd punch into my Android: THURSDAY - 3:00 PM. This way, when I land in LA, and the phone adjusts, it will drag the appointment to the right time.
    • For the conference call, I have to say to myself, "What is the time differential between Princeton and right here?... So if it's Noon in Princeton, it would be 10AM here..." and I'd punch into my Android: FRIDAY - 10:00 AM. When I get to Chicago, it will show my 10AM appointment is now at 11AM, and it will go.
    • I'm not even going to try to explain the Philly Eastern Standard to Phoenix Mountain Standard to Salt Lake Mountain Standard last week/Philly Eastern Daylight to Phoenix Mountain Standard to Salt Lake Mountain Daylight programming. You get the picture.


    On the Palm, if I put in an untimed appointment for a day, it would always keep it that day. As I mentioned, on the Android, when you head west, it splits it between the two days (so an untimed appointment "begins" - even though it has no time - at 10PM the night before when I'm on Mountain time!).

    Where it gets super ugly is if the laptop and the phone are on different time zones from each other when I sync. Twice I've made the mistake of doing that, and it shifts all appointments, permanently, two or three hours later than they ever were to begin with.

    The time zone issue may seem like a minor issue to most, but I live on the East Coast and travel weekly, usually in and out of two or three cities (and usually at least two time zones), and have frequent phone meetings set up with folks all over the USA, Europe, and Australia - so it's helpful when someone wants to set up a meeting in their local time, for my SMART phone to know what time that would be for me!

    As I understand it (I think DJOCTO posted this), the underlying UNIX software of Android just can't handle multiple time zones. Since Palm was written in its "own" language, they built that in. I always wonder, though: When the Google accounting team in California needs to set up a conference call with its Dodge-the-IRS department in Dublin, HOW DO THEY DO THAT IN GOOGLE CALENDARS??!?!??!?

    I've built up a two-step defense:
    1. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS add the LOCAL time to the "name" of the appointment. So instead of typing in "Steal Spruce Goose" for 9AM in McMinnville, I'd type in "Steal Spruce Goose - 0900 PDT". That way, even if my data gets facocked, I can still scan it and know where I have to be... And also repair the data.
    2. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS make a backup of my calendar data on the laptop BEFORE EVERY SYNC. So if it gets facocked, I at least only lose what I've entered on the HH since the last sync.


    I ONLY use Palm Desktop 4.x and DJO. I don't use any other PIM software. This behavior appears to be the same whether or not I type the appointment into Palm Desktop or into DJO on the Handheld.

    The handheld is TMob's Samsung Galaxy, running Android. I'm running DJO 1.10.1 (have been faithfully updating since July 2010), and CL 4.0 4030. I only sync via USB.

    And, so far, I've only been referring to Appointments. I don't set too many alarms for Tasks, so I know I kind of thread-jacked a bit.
    Last edited by rjbinney; 03-09-2011 at 09:38 PM.

  4. #14
    DejaOffice Team Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,482
    Quote Originally Posted by rjbinney View Post
    My Palm Desktop data is pretty facocked; I screwed the pooch on it once a few years ago, when I bought a new Palm at the airport before going overseas. I'd been on Pacific time, my computer was on Eastern time, and the new Palm was on Greenwich time; so eight years' worth of East Coast appointments shifted seven hours, four years' worth of West Coast appointments shifted TEN hours, and random Asian appointments shifted between 12, 13, and 19 hours Now, it was only the archive, but it was annoying. I finally got it back in order (using Dimex and a realllllly long layover at O'Hare), when I bought the Android.

    I'll try to explain the time zone frustration:

    On the Palm handheld, you'd punch in a new appointment and the city the appointment is in.
    • Let's say I'm on the East Coast. I have a lunch appointment tomorrow in Los Angeles. So I punch in THURSDAY - 12:00N - Los Angeles.

      When I look at my calendar on the HH, it would show for next Thursday: 3:00PM - 'Lunch' (12:00N PST). Because, when it's Noon in LA, it's 3PM in Philly.

      When I land in LA and look at my calendar, it would read: 12:00N - 'Lunch'

      Now, that's an easy one. It DOES get trickier.
    • Let's say I'm in Denver. I have a conference call scheduled for Friday at 12N Eastern time. I punch in FRIDAY - 12:00N - Princeton.

      NOW, when I look at my calendar, it reads: 10:00AM - 'Conference Call' (12:00N EST). So if I stay in Denver, the alarm will go off at 10, when it's Noon back East.

      Trouble is, I'm going to Chicago on Friday. So when I land at 10:30 and look at my calendar, it automagically has adjusted to read: 11:00AM - 'Conference Call' (12:00N EST)

      But wait - it gets even trickier.
    • Last Sunday, I flew from Philadelphia to Salt Lake, and changed planes in Phoenix. I punched into my handheld: SUNDAY - 9:15 PM - (Phoenix). I also had punched in an appointment for the flight from Philly to Phoenix, that began at 3:35 EST and was five hours long. So the Palm knew I'd land in Phoenix at 6:30 PM.

      So when my wife looks at my calendar to see what time we'll talk, she'd see a break between 8:30 EST (which is 6:30 in Phoenix) and 11:15 EST (which is 9:15 in Phoenix. She'd also see that I land at 1AM Monday Eastern Standard time, 11PM Sunday Mountain Standard time.

      Now let's make it reallllly tricky.
    • This Sunday, I'm taking the exact same flight. But get this: Arizona (among her many other sins) does not participate in Daylight Savings Time (really). So when I punch in my five hour flight that leaves Philadelphia at 3:35, it knows I will land at 5:30 MST, which is really 8:30 EDT! My Phoenix flight now leaves at 8:15 MST, which is really 11:15 EDT - so as far as my wife is concerned, I'm on the ground at the exact same time. But I need to make sure I head to the gate in Phoenix an hour "earlier" than I'm used to. Incidentally, I punch in the appointment SUNDAY - 8:15 PM - (Phoenix) for the same length of time, and when I get to Salt Lake, it's now mysteriously 11PM (MDT).


    Now, on the Palm HANDHELD (not the Desktop - you couldn't enter multiple time zones), if you entered appointments the way I described, everything was hunky-dory.

    But on the Android:
    • If I want to schedule the appointment for lunch in Los Angeles, I have to say to myself, "What is the time differential between LA and right here?... So, if it's Noon in LA, it would be 3PM here..." and I'd punch into my Android: THURSDAY - 3:00 PM. This way, when I land in LA, and the phone adjusts, it will drag the appointment to the right time.
    • For the conference call, I have to say to myself, "What is the time differential between Princeton and right here?... So if it's Noon in Princeton, it would be 10AM here..." and I'd punch into my Android: FRIDAY - 10:00 AM. When I get to Chicago, it will show my 10AM appointment is now at 11AM, and it will go.
    • I'm not even going to try to explain the Philly Eastern Standard to Phoenix Mountain Standard to Salt Lake Mountain Standard last week/Philly Eastern Daylight to Phoenix Mountain Standard to Salt Lake Mountain Daylight programming. You get the picture.


    On the Palm, if I put in an untimed appointment for a day, it would always keep it that day. As I mentioned, on the Android, when you head west, it splits it between the two days (so an untimed appointment "begins" - even though it has no time - at 10PM the night before when I'm on Mountain time!).

    Where it gets super ugly is if the laptop and the phone are on different time zones from each other when I sync. Twice I've made the mistake of doing that, and it shifts all appointments, permanently, two or three hours later than they ever were to begin with.

    The time zone issue may seem like a minor issue to most, but I live on the East Coast and travel weekly, usually in and out of two or three cities (and usually at least two time zones), and have frequent phone meetings set up with folks all over the USA, Europe, and Australia - so it's helpful when someone wants to set up a meeting in their local time, for my SMART phone to know what time that would be for me!

    As I understand it (I think DJOCTO posted this), the underlying UNIX software of Android just can't handle multiple time zones. Since Palm was written in its "own" language, they built that in. I always wonder, though: When the Google accounting team in California needs to set up a conference call with its Dodge-the-IRS department in Dublin, HOW DO THEY DO THAT IN GOOGLE CALENDARS??!?!??!?

    I've built up a two-step defense:
    1. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS add the LOCAL time to the "name" of the appointment. So instead of typing in "Steal Spruce Goose" for 9AM in McMinnville, I'd type in "Steal Spruce Goose - 0900 PDT". That way, even if my data gets facocked, I can still scan it and know where I have to be... And also repair the data.
    2. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS make a backup of my calendar data on the laptop BEFORE EVERY SYNC. So if it gets facocked, I at least only lose what I've entered on the HH since the last sync.


    I ONLY use Palm Desktop 4.x and DJO. I don't use any other PIM software. This behavior appears to be the same whether or not I type the appointment into Palm Desktop or into DJO on the Handheld.

    The handheld is TMob's Samsung Galaxy, running Android. I'm running DJO 1.10.1 (have been faithfully updating since July 2010), and CL 4.0 4030. I only sync via USB.

    And, so far, I've only been referring to Appointments. I don't set too many alarms for Tasks, so I know I kind of thread-jacked a bit.
    This may be the best piece of writing for the forums YTD.
    Informative and entertaining! Thank you.

    I am passing this information up to our Dev Dept.

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    184
    I meant to say the phone was running Froyo (2.2). "Running Android" should have been obvious.

  6. #16
    DejaOffice Team Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,482
    Quote Originally Posted by rjbinney View Post
    I meant to say the phone was running Froyo (2.2). "Running Android" should have been obvious.
    It was. Our team is working on a Time zone fix right now. May take a little time but I would love to get your ongoing feedback as we work on this.

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    184
    So I just got back to the East Coast, and some (not all) of my appointments are four hours later than they should be (that is, the 1045 appts show up at 1445).


  8. #18
    DejaOffice Team Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,482
    Can you document how those appointments were entered into DejaOffice?

    Created on the phone
    Synced over? If yes what sync method and PIM?
    Recurring event?
    Any additional specifics are a great help in trying to track this down.

  9. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    184
    Actually, I don't remember how I entered those specific ones - whether they were created on the phone or not.

    The only software I use is DJO, CL, and Palm Desktop. Sync via USB. (I should add that to my sig).

    I did a purge/reload PD=>HH, with "Reread PD" set, and it didn't help. But I realized I rebooted the laptop when it was on MST and the phone on EST. So I rebooted both, did a purge/reload PD=>HH with "Reread PD" set, and that seemed to get it back in line.

    Happy to help, but don't know that my calendar data will be of much use. Let me know.

    rjb

  10. #20
    DejaOffice Team Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,482
    Quote Originally Posted by rjbinney View Post
    Actually, I don't remember how I entered those specific ones - whether they were created on the phone or not.

    The only software I use is DJO, CL, and Palm Desktop. Sync via USB. (I should add that to my sig).

    I did a purge/reload PD=>HH, with "Reread PD" set, and it didn't help. But I realized I rebooted the laptop when it was on MST and the phone on EST. So I rebooted both, did a purge/reload PD=>HH with "Reread PD" set, and that seemed to get it back in line.

    Happy to help, but don't know that my calendar data will be of much use. Let me know.

    rjb
    rjb,

    Thanks for the insight regarding the PC reboot.

    My CTO seems to think the required reboot is due to the fact that CompanionLink reads the time zone only once and that is when it is launched. So if it was loaded in the system tray in the old time zone this will happen.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •