+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Are sync procedures confusing and problematical?

Are sync procedures confusing and problematical?

Reading the Classroom instructions, USB sync requires initiation from the phone whilst wi-fi sync direct from Companionlink.
    I have found many times that syncing seems to hang for a while, or possibly be working behind the scenes but with no indication.
    For instance, I just selected (wrongly I now read) the sync button in DJO to carry out a wi-fi sync. There was a message "please select synchronise in CL". This froze CL and I had to use Task Manager on the PC to close it down.
    Since the tow methods of sync require different procedures, I think it would be a good idea to have a foolproof system in place to stop incorrect operation.
    So for USB sync, the "synchronise" button in CL should be greyed out so that the sync HAS to be initiated from the phone.
    Likewise, when using wi-fi sync, the sync button in DJO should do nothing other than show the message "please select synchronise in CL". It should not try any behind the scenes contact with CL or any internal operations on the phone.

Also, I think there should be clearer and more reliable screen messages to show that something is happening; not just a brief message which disappears all too soon leaving the user in limbo as to what is happening.

I love this software which just gets better every day. Keep it up guys.

Using DJO 1.10.7 with CL ver 4033 and Nexus One 2.2

DejaOffice Team Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Blobby View Post
    Reading the Classroom instructions, USB sync requires initiation from the phone whilst wi-fi sync direct from Companionlink.
    I have found many times that syncing seems to hang for a while, or possibly be working behind the scenes but with no indication.
    For instance, I just selected (wrongly I now read) the sync button in DJO to carry out a wi-fi sync. There was a message "please select synchronise in CL". This froze CL and I had to use Task Manager on the PC to close it down.
    Since the tow methods of sync require different procedures, I think it would be a good idea to have a foolproof system in place to stop incorrect operation.
    So for USB sync, the "synchronise" button in CL should be greyed out so that the sync HAS to be initiated from the phone.
    Likewise, when using wi-fi sync, the sync button in DJO should do nothing other than show the message "please select synchronise in CL". It should not try any behind the scenes contact with CL or any internal operations on the phone.

Also, I think there should be clearer and more reliable screen messages to show that something is happening; not just a brief message which disappears all too soon leaving the user in limbo as to what is happening.

I love this software which just gets better every day. Keep it up guys.

Using DJO 1.10.7 with CL ver 4033 and Nexus One 2.2
    Mr Blobby,

We are so happy you love the software. You bring up a number of valid points and observations regarding how DejaOffice works out in the real world and we appreciate you bringing them up.
    Part of the problem in general is we are programming a huge workaround in DejaOffice. If the Android platform wase easy to sync this kind of data, more apps would be out there doing it.
    Blatant self promotion aside now, we are at times torn about the way to effectively communicate how the software works.
    Example = You requested "So for USB sync, the "synchronise" button in CL should be greyed out so that the sync HAS to be initiated from the phone."
    We seriously considered this feature and realized people would think that CompanionLink does not support USB sync if the button was greyed out. Also, we would not be able to generate the dialog that pops up when the customer tries that instructing them in the correct way to sync.

This isn't perfect logic, and I agree it could be more intuitive and easier to learn. Part of my role at CompanionLink is to view all the customer posts from the perspective of an end user and not as an expert on the product. I am pretty new to the company, and it has been a lot of fun interfacing with everyone on the forums. There have been numerous occasions where I totally agree with the customer request until I talk to the dev group.

So the answer for now is, we hear you, we agree on the same bigger picture, and we are making it better (we hope!) with every update. And... some changes will not be made until a major revision like CompanionLink 5.0 or DejaOffice 2.0.

The toughest part of our daily routine over here is prioritizing what to make better at what time. If you Plant a new lawn in your front yard and then tear off the roof of your house and replace it, you are likely going to destroy the new lawn in the process of putting in the new roof. We run into that kind of quandary all the time, and even small UI changes can far reaching affects.

You also said:

I totally agree with you about what the end user experience should be on this.
    On our end Just for Android, we have to account for different processor speeds, OS revisions, and device reaction times and find a happy medium for notifications. That is always a difficult decision.

Please keep the suggestions coming, we appreciate them.

Many thanks for your comments Thomas.
    This is just what is needed; end users often use a feature less frequently and can often forget the correct procedures.
    It is second nature for developers to do things correctly, with all button presses in the correct order.

+ Reply to Thread