+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Recurring events starting before 1970 are missing

Unhappy Recurring events starting before 1970 are missing

I spent a few hours today, fixing my calendar, recovering recurring events such as birthdays and anniversaries that had start dates earlier than 1970. I managed to get everything synced with on demand syncs, and now they are gone again. All recurring events starting before 1970 are missing from DJO and Outlook.

I am using DJO 1.10.9 and CL 4.0 build 4033. Outlook 2010. Wifi Sync.

This happened previously and was fixed, now it's broken again.
    Last edited by sjmiller; 03-13-2011 at 01:52 PM.

DejaOffice Team Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sjmiller View Post
    I spent a few hours today, fixing my calendar, recovering recurring events such as birthdays and anniversaries that had start dates earlier than 1970. I managed to get everything synced with on demand syncs, and now they are gone again. All recurring events starting before 1970 are missing from DJO and Outlook.

I am using DJO 1.10.9 and CL 4.0 build 4033. Outlook 2010. Wifi Sync.

This happened previously and was fixed, now it's broken again.
    Hi sjmiller,

I am guessing these are birthdays or other events that have an annual occurrence?

Are these events generated in Outlook originally and synced to the phone?

Also in the future if you have three separate issues to report regarding the same new build it would be easier for us to respond if you placed them in a single thread.

Thanks,

Posting three separate problems in one thread makes it harder for people who are searching the forum to find what they are looking for. And since these problems have been occuring through multiple builds, they are not specific to the current build. I am merely providing that information to indicate it still exists as a problem in the latest build.

Yes, these are annual recurring events. I think I said they are birthdays and anniversaries. I do not use the Outlook feature of setting a birthday or anniversary in the contact details. I have many more of these that I want to track, and I don't have all of these people listed as contacts. So I create annual recurring events that have a start date that is equal to the original event. This way I can keep track of age or which anniversary is coming up. The part that upsets me about this situation is that the events were deleted from my Outlook calendar. If DJO can't handle the dates, so be it. But don't delete the original event in Outlook. That is wrong.

DejaOffice Team Member
    Posting three separate problems in one thread makes it harder for people who are searching the forum to find what they are looking for. And since these problems have been occuring through multiple builds, they are not specific to the current build. I am merely providing that information to indicate it still exists as a problem in the latest build.

Yes, these are annual recurring events. I think I said they are birthdays and anniversaries. I do not use the Outlook feature of setting a birthday or anniversary in the contact details. I have many more of these that I want to track, and I don't have all of these people listed as contacts. So I create annual recurring events that have a start date that is equal to the original event. This way I can keep track of age or which anniversary is coming up. The part that upsets me about this situation is that the events were deleted from my Outlook calendar. If DJO can't handle the dates, so be it. But don't delete the original event in Outlook. That is wrong.
    Hi SJmiller,

DejaOffice and CompanionLink has stopped syncing Annual recurring events like birthdays and anniversaries based on popular request from our customer base. I realize this can be a bit inconvenient to some but that is the state of the product right now.

Please see previous comments regarding how these forums will be organized.
    I am not going to debate these matter with you.

I am in the QA dept. - If a new build causes three different new behavior patterns in the same device, that isn't three different issues. It is one. until we decide differently.
    If customers choose to report it differently we will organize the threads as we see fit.
    If customers choose not to cooperate with our requests, we will use our moderation tools as necessary to keep things organized in a way that we can manage and respond responsibly.

You mean to say that people have actually asked to NOT sync annual recurring events? Ok, again, fine. But don't delete them from Outlook. It's one thing to not sync, but destroying data that does not belong to you is wrong. Not to mention, this ONLY happens with recurring items with start date prior to 1970, so it is not handled consistently. No matter how you look at this, something is broken. Either you don't sync them at all, or you do sync all of them.

I suspect, though, that what you are actually referring to is the calendar events that Outlook creates automatically when you populate the birthday or anniversary fields in an Outlook Contact. I don't use these fields, as they don't work correctly. I am actually creating these recurring events the same as I would create any other all day event, directly on the calendar.

DejaOffice Team Member
    You mean to say that people have actually asked to NOT sync annual recurring events? Ok, again, fine. But don't delete them from Outlook. It's one thing to not sync, but destroying data that does not belong to you is wrong. Not to mention, this ONLY happens with recurring items with start date prior to 1970, so it is not handled consistently. No matter how you look at this, something is broken. Either you don't sync them at all, or you do sync all of them.

I suspect, though, that what you are actually referring to is the calendar events that Outlook creates automatically when you populate the birthday or anniversary fields in an Outlook Contact. I don't use these fields, as they don't work correctly. I am actually creating these recurring events the same as I would create any other all day event, directly on the calendar.
    Yes,
    You are correct about this. It is the Calendar events in Outlook.
    Getting down to the root cause on this...

One reason why I need to keep the threads all together is every configuration is different and has a huge outcome to the answer of a problem.

So please tell me if I am wrong about this:
    Droid X OS 2.2.1
    DejaOffice 1.10.9
    Standalone = CompanionLink not used.
    The only sync function turned on in DejaOffice is Sync with Android Contacts.

As stated in the original post, I am uisng DJO 1.10.9 and CL 4.0 build 4033. Outlook 2010. Wifi Sync. I sync everything to Outlook, only contacts to native Android.

+ Reply to Thread