+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DejaOffice "Sync" vs "Read Android Data"

Question DejaOffice "Sync" vs "Read Android Data"

I am a bit confused. DejaOffice Sync is generally working on my phone but I have some questions I hope someone can help with. What does DejaOffice "Sync" do versus "Read Android Data"?

What does "Read Android Data" do? Is it included in Sync? Sometimes when I run Sync it takes only seconds and other times it takes hours? Not sure why? When I run "Read Android Data" it usually takes hours? Any explanations?

Also, sometimes after a sync new contacts do NOT show up? Can anyone explain?

For background: I have a Verizon Wireless Droid X and about 3500 contacts, a couple hundred meetings/appointments, and under 100 tasks. I am pretty technically savvy, electrical engineer, work in technical field.

Is there any documentation that I have overlooked that I can read on this subject.

DejaOffice Team Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ram1728 View Post
    I am a bit confused. DejaOffice Sync is generally working on my phone but I have some questions I hope someone can help with. What does DejaOffice "Sync" do versus "Read Android Data"?

What does "Read Android Data" do? Is it included in Sync? Sometimes when I run Sync it takes only seconds and other times it takes hours? Not sure why? When I run "Read Android Data" it usually takes hours? Any explanations?

Also, sometimes after a sync new contacts do NOT show up? Can anyone explain?

For background: I have a Verizon Wireless Droid X and about 3500 contacts, a couple hundred meetings/appointments, and under 100 tasks. I am pretty technically savvy, electrical engineer, work in technical field.

Is there any documentation that I have overlooked that I can read on this subject.
    Hi Ram,

Read Android data is a process that is exclusive to the phone itself. It is reading databases on the device.

The DejaOffice Sync icon executes a Sync with your PC Desktop that has CompanionLink Software installed on it.

I hope this clears things up for you. Let us know if you have more questions.

Hi Thomas
    I'm even more confused than ram1728.

I bought CompanionLink last December and I am still not able to get a Sync in an appropriate time.

When I press Sync on my HTC DHD device it first starts with reading Android data. After one to three hours the Sync with the PC. This takes another hour or more. After quitting with ok on the DHD, the DHD starts with internal "things".

After this session a lot of things are mixed up. Contacts missing, to tasks lost or doubled, recurring Agenda entries lost or doubled, normal Agenda entries ignored or lost on both Agendas etc.

It's a true horror trip, but I need a Sync Software that is able to Sync tasks and notes as well. Not only Agenda and Contacts as HTCSync offers.

May be you can give me a link, where I find a save QuickSync possibility within your product.

Thanks a lot, you would save me before getting totally crazy...

Hi Thomas

I already wrote a reply to your expanation an hour ago, but it disapeared in the www-nirwhana.

As I remember, I wrote, that I am even more confused than ram1728.

I bought CompanionLink last December. I couldn't get a proper Sync in a proper time since that time.
    It takes hours. When I start the Sync on my HTC DHD it first reads Android Data for one to three hours. Then the Sync runs for another hour. After quitting with ok on the HTC another hour is gone with rearranging data on the HTC.

After that, Calendar data are missing on one or the other side, recurring data are doubled ore missing, Contacts are not updated, notes are lost, tasks are doubled ore missing. It's a time consuming mess.
    And it's critical to my business as a "on-time" manager. No-show means no money!

Why did I buy CompanionLink? Because in only one forum I found the link, that CompanionLink / DejaOffice solves the problem of syncronizing tasks and notes as well. HTCSync doesn't!

I would be happy to get an advice or a link how to proceed simply. Not reading all my 41'000 Calendar data every time, nor my 1200 Contacts, nor my 100 to do's nor my 300 notes, only the difference. Meaning: is there a "Quick-Sync" button anywhere?

I think that I'm not the only "zombie" with this problem?!?

Thank you for your help, before I get totally crazy!

Question DejaOffice "Sync" vs "Read Android Data"

Thank you for your response and help. However, I'm still confused and do not really have answers to my original questions. The way DejaOffice and Companion link work together seems to not be well documented in anything I can find. Is there any documentation on this subject?

Can someone address my original and unanswered questions: What does "Read Android Data" do? Is it included in Sync? Sometimes when I run Sync it takes only seconds and other times it takes hours? Not sure why? When I run "Read Android Data" it usually takes hours? Any explanations? Also, sometimes after a sync new contacts do NOT show up? Can anyone explain?

I apologize but I have no idea what "Read Android data is a process that is exclusive to the phone itself" means or what is it's significance? Can you please provide some more detailed information. The answers received so far are kind of vague.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    Hi Ram,

Read Android data is a process that is exclusive to the phone itself. It is reading databases on the device.

The DejaOffice Sync icon executes a Sync with your PC Desktop that has CompanionLink Software installed on it.

I hope this clears things up for you. Let us know if you have more questions.

DejaOffice Team Member
    Thank you for your response and help. However, I'm still confused and do not really have answers to my original questions. The way DejaOffice and Companion link work together seems to not be well documented in anything I can find. Is there any documentation on this subject?

Can someone address my original and unanswered questions: What does "Read Android Data" do? Is it included in Sync? Sometimes when I run Sync it takes only seconds and other times it takes hours? Not sure why? When I run "Read Android Data" it usually takes hours? Any explanations? Also, sometimes after a sync new contacts do NOT show up? Can anyone explain?

I apologize but I have no idea what "Read Android data is a process that is exclusive to the phone itself" means or what is it's significance? Can you please provide some more detailed information. The answers received so far are kind of vague.
    Hi RAM,

The read Android Data function quite literally reads Data in your Android Database(s) and then transfers it to your DejaOffice Data. The data it reads is going to vary depending on The Android Device you own, the OS, Possible by the Wireless carrier you use, and also by what accounts you have personally setup on your phone...

Simple rule, no two Androids work quite the same, so we have a tool to go in and look for the data for you. So we don't have to write steps out for every phone out there, and for every new phone released around the world.

Smile Thanks

Thank you. Now I understand better.

DejaOffice Team Member
    Thank you. Now I understand better.
    GLad to hear it.

I started working here in December 201 and I it took me a while to figure out all the Android variables myself. So please don't feel bad.

Trying to get a grip on this too. One of the reasons I see for 'read android data' is for a contact you have put into a phone contact that you want to get into DejaContacts and then into Outlook (in my case). However I do a 'read android data' and then do a sync and phone contacts don't go through that pipeline. Am I missing something?
    Samsung Note 8 Android 7.1.1
    DJO 4.3.6 (Build 1002)
    CLO 7046 Windows 10
    Outlook 2010
    Sync: WiFi

DejaOffice Team Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobinraymoremo View Post
    Trying to get a grip on this too. One of the reasons I see for 'read android data' is for a contact you have put into a phone contact that you want to get into DejaContacts and then into Outlook (in my case). However I do a 'read android data' and then do a sync and phone contacts don't go through that pipeline. Am I missing something?
    bobinraymoremo,

Make sure to verify the new Contact created in Android Contacts is assigned to the "Account" that is set to Sync in the DejaOffice Settings.

To verify follow these steps:
    1. Open DejaOffice and Tap settings.
    2. Tap Sync Settings
    3. Note Account name selected in the "Contact Account" dropdown menu. This is the only account Dejaoffice will sync contacts with. (This is often a Gmail account or named "Phone" or "People", we recommend using a Gmail account since the data formatting stays more consistent.)
    4. On the Android side of things open your Contacts App.
    5. Navigate to the New Contact that does not Sync. Verify the contact is saved in the same account name as listed in the DejaOffice Sync Settings. (If the account names do not match, the contact not syncing is expected behavior.)

Some Devices will allow you to edit the account setting and some will not. If you are not allowed to edit the account you will have to make a new contact record with the correct account setting for DejaOffice to Sync the record.

Let me know if I lost anyone with this explanation.

I can respond much faster to your questions about DejaOffice if you include the following information in your Signature:
    Mobile Device and OS
    DejaOffice version#
    CompanionLink build #
    Data Manager App (Outlook ACT! PalmDesktop etc..)
    Sync Method with CompanionLink
    DejaOffice Sync Settings for Contacts and Calendar. - Please include the "Account" Selected to Sync with for Contacts and or Calendar.
    Also - Please avoid using terms like, "Latest Update", that can mean too many things. Version # is greatly appreciated.

+ Reply to Thread