Thread: Moving DejaOffice data to a new phone

Moving DejaOffice data to a new phone

First, I LOVE DejaOffice, have rated you highly on the Market, and have recommended others to use you. Your products are great and you keep surprising me with your proactive development.

I'm also a CompanionLink Express 4.0 customer. Also an outstanding product and has always provided exceptional support. I love that they've added WiFi sync now, too. I use CL to sync DejaOffice and my MS Outlook with Business Contact Manager 2007.

I was surprised, though, that I just got off the phone with a CL support rep and was asking him the following question. He didn't know the answer and also said that DejaOffice is a completely separate company. I said I believed they were developed by the same company, but he said otherwise. But I read elsewhere in this forum where Thomas said that they are the same. Hmmm... maybe he was just new? Anyway, like I said, both products are excellent and I've had no negative experiences with support.

Now for my question:
    I use an LG Ally through Verizon Wireless. There were problems with my phone, so Verizon sent me a refurb replacement - no battery, no SD Card. It's now my task to reinstall my apps on the new phone after I activate it (and deactivate the current one).

None of my apps contain data that I care much about EXCEPT DejaOffice. I have mission-critical contact and calendar data there. I also have some specific settings so that it functions and looks the way I like it to.

What's the simplest way for me to move the data and settings to a new phone? Are those stored on my SD Card so that when I transfer it to the new phone everything will be there?

Or are they on my phone's internal drive? And if they are, what files are they in? If I copy those files over to my computer temporarily and copy them back to the new phone, will DJO on the new phone recognize them?

I am trying to avoid two things:
    1. 1. Storing my contacts and Calendar data in my Gmail account (I don't want Google to have those), and
    2. (2) Having to rebuild my DejaOffice data on the phone from Outlook -b cause my Outlook has issues and often crashes, so it can be a hassle.

Any advice?

Thanks,

~N
    Last edited by Nebulous; 03-17-2011 at 02:06 PM.

DejaOffice Team Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nebulous View Post
    First, I LOVE DejaOffice, have rated you highly on the Market, and have recommended others to use you. Your products are great and you keep surprising me with your proactive development.

I'm also a CompanionLink Express 4.0 customer. Also an outstanding product and has always provided exceptional support. I love that they've added WiFi sync now, too. I use CL to sync DejaOffice and my MS Outlook with Business Contact Manager 2007.

I was surprised, though, that I just got off the phone with a CL support rep and was asking him the following question. He didn't know the answer and also said that DejaOffice is a completely separate company. I said I believed they were developed by the same company, but he said otherwise. But I read elsewhere in this forum where Thomas said that they are the same. Hmmm... maybe he was just new? Anyway, like I said, both products are excellent and I've had no negative experiences with support.

Now for my question:
    I use an LG Ally through Verizon Wireless. There were problems with my phone, so Verizon sent me a refurb replacement - no battery, no SD Card. It's now my task to reinstall my apps on the new phone after I activate it (and deactivate the current one).

None of my apps contain data that I care much about EXCEPT DejaOffice. I have mission-critical contact and calendar data there. I also have some specific settings so that it functions and looks the way I like it to.

What's the simplest way for me to move the data and settings to a new phone? Are those stored on my SD Card so that when I transfer it to the new phone everything will be there?

Or are they on my phone's internal drive? And if they are, what files are they in? If I copy those files over to my computer temporarily and copy them back to the new phone, will DJO on the new phone recognize them?

I am trying to avoid two things:
    1. 1. Storing my contacts and Calendar data in my Gmail account (I don't want Google to have those), and
    2. (2) Having to rebuild my DejaOffice data on the phone from Outlook -b cause my Outlook has issues and often crashes, so it can be a hassle.

Any advice?

Thanks,

~N
    Hi N,

Great question about the SD Card. First and foremost Backup your Outlook info if you are not doing this.
    You should be able to insert the old SD card in the new phone, install DejaOffice and run the setup Wizard.
    At some point I am guessing you will need to sync with Outlook and a re-read or Purge and reload may be necessary at that time.
    The Outlook crashing problem may become an issue if it is not resolved. So backup Outlook.
    We always advise folks to backup their PC Data before making any significant changes in CompanionLink or to their Phone setup.

Regards,

Thomas - Thanks for the quick reply - as I said, always great customer service!

Note: Slightly off-topic, but seemed worth including, if nothing else for a sympathetic eye ...
    The Outlook problem I have has been a problem for, oh, 2 years or so now. I know it's related to my PST file, and specifically to my Calendar in the PST. I'm a former PC support guy, and this thing has kicked my butt. I've done about everything I know to do other than purchase very expensive repair software that is only really for pros to buy for serving multiple customers. I've used some respectable free tools, but to no avail.

Essentially, there's a known issue with PST files that have been imported from other PST files when there were recurring appointments in the Calendar. This also affects PST files that have been archived by Outlook if there were recurring appointments - because only part of the recurrence gets archived and so Outlook gets confused. Outlook's 'ScanPST' tool finds errors and, after running it 3 times or so, says it fixed them. But then the problem sneaks back in with usage.

Living with it, I can start Outlook and shortly afterward it will crash (maybe with a dialog box, but sometimes it just disappears). Then I'll start it again, and it may crash again. After a variable number of tries, it will seem like it's running fine until I (or CompanionLink) try to add or modify an appointment, then it crashes. But after a variable number of tries again (between 1 and infinity), it will be stable. I can work with the calendar with no problem, and CL works fine too. Eventually - sometimes the same day, sometimes several days later - touching the calendar again crashes it.

I've just lived with it because I have far too much important stuff in my PST to start a whole new one, and nothing I do seems to fix it.

Thomas, it sounds from your description that I will likely need to re-sync everything with Outlook again. I was trying to avoid that if I could identify specific data storage files on the Android phone. But I understand that may not be possible.

Thanks again for all your help!

~N