Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Former Palm users discussion

Former Palm users discussion

Palm's stupidity amazes me when they abandoned a huge user base and orphaned us leaving us high and dry. I have a Palm treo 755p. I bought a mint spare off ebay to use for the next ten years if I have to because there;s nothing out there that can take the place of a Palm with its simple OS, touchscreen, center rocker, AND A STYLUS! I also have two spare Samsung flip phones with Palm on them that I used years ago and my wife has two Handspring/Palm PDAs. I'm trying out other phones now hoping to find a replacement. So far I tried Blackberry (the Torch) and that was a mild disaster as contacts that had more than four telephone numbers didn't sync and syncing was a pain in the butt. The Blackberry erases all data on the phone before it copies a new database to the phone's memory. That takes a loooooong time.

Today I returned the Torch (crappy OS and unusable qwerty) and went for the Atrix in the hopes that there's some kinda software out there that would do the trick. Had I read this post beforehand I wouldn't have even bothered with the Atrix. I'll try Deja Office and Companionlink but if it doesn't work, I'll stick with the Palm desktop and buy another Treo as a backup probably a GSM version like the 680 just in case I have to go to ATT or T-Mobile
    Last edited by 842867; 03-02-2011 at 11:54 PM.

I'm with you, Rob. Same long-term history with Palm, same sort of problems with syncing. I have a Samsung Mesmerize 2.1, not rooted. I have purged and reloaded multiple times, but have not kept an accurate history of the steps, as you did.

I have over 1100 contacts in Palm Desktop, but I don't need or want all of those in my phone directory all the time -- takes far too long to scroll through. I now am in the process of manually entering 200+ contacts into the Android Contacts, which is all the phone will recognize for its speed dialing or identifying incoming calls. I had to delete all of them because I wound up with multiples there, in Deja Contacts, and in Palm Desktop.

I also have issues with the category colors, which I really like in the Palm OS, but which will not show up consistently on Deja Calendar, let alone on Deja Contacts, Notes or Tasks. I'll post that elsewhere, though, because it's off-topic here.

Every time I think I have it all sorted out and stabilized, the sync will hang or the screen just blanks out, as you have described. When I sync again, unless I do a purge and reload (AGAIN), I end up with some (not all) duplicated or triplicated entries. One thing that has saved me from having to repeatedly delete all of those duplicated entries is to have everything backed up on Palm Desktop first:
    > View
    > Check which you want to back up [Calendar, Contacts, Tasks, Memos]
    > Check "Show private records"
    > File
    > Export
    > Type a file name
    > VERY IMPORTANT! click the "All" radio button at the bottom -- otherwise you will save only whatever record happens to be highlighted, which is the default setting for some bizarre reason. If you need to restore later, you will get back only that one record.
    > Click Export

At least then if you lose or get multiples of entries when syncing, you can go to File > Import to restore everything on Palm Desktop. Of course, then you're back to Purge & Reload if you have multiples on the Droid, too . . . .

Although I dont think this will help Rob's problem, I just wanted to mention that Im glad Im not the only one who has a soft spot in their heart for Palm. I thought I was the only one who felt this way.

About three weeks ago I abandoned my perfectly functioning Palm Treo 650 for a Samsung Epic. I purchased the Palm 650 back in January 2006 (over five years ago), and before that I had one or two Palm models with monochrome screens (I think the Palm IIIx, or something like that). As mentioned, I too loved the stylus, the center rocker, etc, etc. So why did I make the switch? The primary a reason was simply the internet. While the 650 had internet access, it was horribly slow and I couldn't read a majority of the web pages I was going to due to formatting.

To make a LONG story short, Ive had problems not only with DJO/CompanionLink, but with other facets of the Epic as well. I was ready to return it the first week I had it, but I have since adjusted to many things, including the Outlook sync issues. I refuse to sync my business contact information into a "cloud", so DJO/CL seems to be my only option.

Although I didn't want to, Ive totally abandoned the USB synchronizing to Outlook and am doing it via WiFi, which seems for the moment is working 100%. The USB synchronizing was actually working with Android 2.1, but became a click and pull fest in Android 2.2 with the USB cable as posted here http://www.dejaoffice.com/forums/sho...4G-under-Froyo

After 5 years, the Palm 650 was rock solid, never failed, and I could maneuver 10x faster than the Epic on it with almost every aspect (searching for contacts, typing, etc.) Ive already factory reset my Epic once, and formatted the SD card to correct slowness and some issues after owning it for 3 weeks.

Despite all of this, I have to admit that things are now coming around and beginning to stabilize, and I can actually say that I am just now beginning to slightly like the phone. DJO/CompanionLink is working with the WiFi sync, but again I cannot comment on the USB sync because Ive totally given up on it. I like simplicity, and the USB sync wasn't.

Oddly enough I still have my Palm 650 in its charging cradle sitting on my desk and charging. For some reason, I just can't unplug it and disconnect it from my computer because when I do, I will finally admit that I won't be using it anymore. Life is funny that way.

By the way, I am using the current DJO that was released today (1.10.8), as well as CompanionLink 4.0 (Build 4032)

DejaOffice Team Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobster View Post
    Although I dont think this will help Rob's problem, I just wanted to mention that Im glad Im not the only one who has a soft spot in their heart for Palm. I thought I was the only one who felt this way.

About three weeks ago I abandoned my perfectly functioning Palm Treo 650 for a Samsung Epic. I purchased the Palm 650 back in January 2006 (over five years ago), and before that I had one or two Palm models with monochrome screens (I think the Palm IIIx, or something like that). As mentioned, I too loved the stylus, the center rocker, etc, etc. So why did I make the switch? The primary a reason was simply the internet. While the 650 had internet access, it was horribly slow and I couldn't read a majority of the web pages I was going to due to formatting.

To make a LONG story short, Ive had problems not only with DJO/CompanionLink, but with other facets of the Epic as well. I was ready to return it the first week I had it, but I have since adjusted to many things, including the Outlook sync issues. I refuse to sync my business contact information into a "cloud", so DJO/CL seems to be my only option.

Although I didn't want to, Ive totally abandoned the USB synchronizing to Outlook and am doing it via WiFi, which seems for the moment is working 100%. The USB synchronizing was actually working with Android 2.1, but became a click and pull fest in Android 2.2 with the USB cable as posted here http://www.dejaoffice.com/forums/sho...4G-under-Froyo

After 5 years, the Palm 650 was rock solid, never failed, and I could maneuver 10x faster than the Epic on it with almost every aspect (searching for contacts, typing, etc.) Ive already factory reset my Epic once, and formatted the SD card to correct slowness and some issues after owning it for 3 weeks.

Despite all of this, I have to admit that things are now coming around and beginning to stabilize, and I can actually say that I am just now beginning to slightly like the phone. DJO/CompanionLink is working with the WiFi sync, but again I cannot comment on the USB sync because Ive totally given up on it. I like simplicity, and the USB sync wasn't.

Oddly enough I still have my Palm 650 in its charging cradle sitting on my desk and charging. For some reason, I just can't unplug it and disconnect it from my computer because when I do, I will finally admit that I won't be using it anymore. Life is funny that way.

By the way, I am using the current DJO that was released today (1.10.8), as well as CompanionLink 4.0 (Build 4032)
    Lobster,

Treo 650. What an awesome device. I mean that. I go way back with Palm products. I worked for an independent QA test lab that tested Palm Handspring and Palm, Inc products. I feel you on this end. It sounds like WiFi sync is working for you. If you need anything let us know.

I can't agree more with the stability with the Palm OS and it's user friendliness. I am also a long standing Palm user (first "contact" with Palm in 1996).
    Palm has even reduced some functionality from the Treo 270 to 650 to 680 which made me very upset.
    I have moved to Android on a Sony X10 Mini Pro because of the keyboard and the availability of Deja office and sync to Palm Desktop (as Rob says the most user friendly and fastest date, contact, memo and ToDo organizer around = confirmed) and Palm giving in to the hype of IPhone alikes.
    I found that, I highly dislike the "non-stylus" phones for the simply reason that the screen input (by design) is less accurate, almost always dirty or greasy and not very suitable for a lot of environments (In Winter I can operate my Palm with Gloves and Stylus no problem, in dirty environments I don't scratch my screen with my dirty fingers, since the screen can be "recessed" from the body it is more protected and much more)
    The Palm Treo Keyboard is still faster than the X10 Mini Pro despite Mini Pro keyboard being larger.....
    Another rant here, I know, I am also about to put a list together what should really be working better Deja Office (some Bugs) or features I would like to see improved.
    Deja office: Don't get me wrong, I mostly like your software and want it to work, just some things, "don't work out"...

@Rob, 842867, johnrosen2: I completely feel for you as I am in the same shoes as you are and most of what you describe (Rob) could have been written by myself....
    Last edited by marwerno; 03-10-2011 at 10:44 PM.

Agree 100% re non-stylus phones! I was shocked when I tried to use my stylus pen on Android and it didn't work. So I am stuck with big fat fingers. Anyone found an equivalent to the Palm Graffiti input, available for Android? The Palm did *just work* and my fave app ever was Datebk4, which turned the Palm into something I could use to make my life better instead of more complicated. You guys at DJO should get the Datebk4 developer (now Pimlical) to sell his UI to you- he is amazing with what he can do on a small screen and make it mega-usable! (I have *no* connection with him apart from being a happy user)
    http://www.pimlicosoftware.com/andro...temporary.html

Quote Originally Posted by indulis View Post
    Anyone found an equivalent to the Palm Graffiti input, available for Android?
    You can get Graffiti for the Android (http://www.access-company.com/cgi/nf...aname=graffiti), but it doesn't work as well due to (all together now) the lack of stylus.

Yes, I too dearly miss the palm. I used one from almost the begining and Android plus DejaOffice and Companionlink WHEN THEY FINALLY WORK I believe will be almost as good. Oh for a stylus input.

For me one of the current biggies is the fact that if one enters in say your Easter holidays as an all day entry with the begining the start of your holiday and the end as the end of your holiday then each time you sync with outlook it reduces the duration on the Android. Absolutely delighted to hear that Thomas is a long time Palm person. That gives me hope that there is a light at the end of the tunnel and that it is not an express train coming towards me.

DejaOffice Team Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
    Yes, I too dearly miss the palm. I used one from almost the begining and Android plus DejaOffice and Companionlink WHEN THEY FINALLY WORK I believe will be almost as good. Oh for a stylus input.

For me one of the current biggies is the fact that if one enters in say your Easter holidays as an all day entry with the begining the start of your holiday and the end as the end of your holiday then each time you sync with outlook it reduces the duration on the Android. Absolutely delighted to hear that Thomas is a long time Palm person. That gives me hope that there is a light at the end of the tunnel and that it is not an express train coming towards me.
    Hi Nelson,

Just to give credit where credit is due, our CTO has been coding for the Palm Desktop platforms since it came out. He is the guy I go to when I get stumped.

Lightbulb

OT:
    For those people missing the stylus. On the auction website starting with an E I found some stylus that have a special conductive plastic as a tip, so they can be used on phones with a conductive screen. I think I am going to order one :-)