Thread: How exactly does Dejaoffice interact with the phone and its built in apps?

How exactly does Dejaoffice interact with the phone and its built in apps?

My biggest thing is I want to sync up my outlook with my Phone using companion link

Now where does DejaOffice fit in?

Does it use the same database as Google's Calendar, Contact Manager and what ever else is built in by google?

Or am I now having to contend with a 3rd set of databases?

My main thing is I want to sync Outlook notes to Android which Android does not even have a built in notes app anyways.

Tell me how DejaOffice interacts or don't interacts with what is already on my phone.

Wow, If I can't get a dev to answer the simple question of does Deja Office use any part of the contact database already built into the phone or is it a separate database altogether, I guess these devs have no business being devs. I will look for other ways than Dejaoffice and companionlink to do what I need since these guys haven't clue about their own programs.

Shu! Sorry for the delay.

Google Contacts and Google Calendar come from ..... Google (Santa Clara, CA, Linux Shop)

Outlook comes from ..... Microsoft (Redmond Wa, Window - Wintel shop).

When you study the actual databases, you find that Android Calendar and Android Contacts, are actually unrelated to Google Calendar and Google Contacts. They appear to be coming from an entirely different development team. Still using linux methodologies, but different. That means that Google Calendar is not FULLY compatible with Android Calendar. Google Contacts is not fully compatible with Android Contacts.

To make things even worse, several manufacturers have added their own "flavor" to contacts. So Android Contacts on an HTC phone, Android Contacts on a Motorola phone, are different.

We created DejaOffice to have a field-by-field compatibility with Microsoft Office. It is in a sense a superset of what Windows PC users are accustom to. Originally we worked very hard to map things to the Google Android variants. However, because of all the flavors, and the fundamental incompatibility with Google itself, we've pulled back just a tad. At this point, DejaOffice will move fields that have identical purposes and features with their Microsoft Counterparts.

So, for instance, Microsoft Office First Name, Last Name and Company name are moved to Android First Name, Last Name and "Association" which is actually held in a sub-table on Android, although it is a core contact field in Google. Microsoft office Category is moved by user option to Google Android Group, although group handling on the phone is OS different and sometimes won't go to Google Contacts. Likewise, Birthday field in Outlook works for birthdays prior to 1970, but that can't be moved to the linux based date field used in some Google Android phones because linux dates can't handle prior to 1970; although other phones work fine. It's curious to me that Custom Fields (User Fields) in Google, also don't go to Android Phones, not even in Android 2.3.3 or 3.0. It's as if there is a fundamental disconnect there. So while DejaContacts handles custom fields, we no longer move them to their Google and Android counterparts.

Over time we hope to fill out DejaContacts so that people won't miss the Android or Google Counterparts. It's simply that Google didn't make it their business to copy Microsoft, and a lot of people thing it is a "sync error" when Google doesn't display their PC data properly. As you know a sync product only moves the data. It doesn't actually change the core application. So there is no way DejaOffice can change the many variants of Google Contacts and Google Calendar that are found on the phones.

Does that answer your question?

Wayland Bruns, CTO
    DejaOffice

Sigh, This kinda implies that the most successful smartphone for business savvy people who use Outlook exxtensively will be the Windows mobile variants! But, I so want to like the Android phones and systems. Perhaps Blackberry will be the final winner?

Nelson, it would imply this if Microsoft had continued with Windows Mobile. Instead, they went brain dead. So Windows Phone 7 databases have no relation to their Outlook counterparts.

It seems the entire "official" teams have got the same disease. Maybe someone can name it. It is: Don't make sense, and do something simple like make "Outlook on a phone", but instead try to invent a new paradigm and force people to dumb down their expectations.

On the minus side this really stinks. On the plus side, it will keep DejaOffice and CompanionLink in business for the foreseeable future. Our role, as we see it, is to work as hard as we can to make the phone experience exactly match the PC Desktop experience (and Web in the case of Salesforce CRM and Zoho).

DJOCTO - you are so right. Microsoft keep re-inventing the wheel. Meanwhile I am patiently (well impatiently really) waiting for the DejaOffice team and CompanionLInk team to fix the date issues with the calendar. I have given up on Outlook syncing with Google Cloud calendar syncing with Android OR Outlook via HTC Sync syncing with Android callendar and now pin my hopes on you winning with Outlook, CompanionLink and DejaOffice. (And trying not to say - in the good old days with Palm etc etc)

Nelson, can you lay out the date issues with the Calendar to be fixed.

We have an entire build (on the schedule) where we are going to switch over the internal formatting from Unix/Java dates (which are subject to DST and Time zone problems) to Windows style date/time objects (where Date is absolute, although time is still subject to DST and Time zone). But I want to make sure this is also what you are talking about.

Oddly, old Palm organizers also used the "number of seconds from 1970". but I think the repeated problems with Google and Android phones come from simply having sync issues with various carriers getting DST wrong. If your date is "midnight" then just 1 second earlier will through the whole appointment to the prior day.

DJOCTO - OK, here goes.
    The configuration for me (and for my wife once the date problems are resolved) is we both are using HTC Desire phones with Android 2.2 (Vodafone in the UK is the carrier and the phones are not customised by Vodafone). PC is Windows based, one Windows 7 and the other a ThinkPad running Windows XP which will later this year be upgraded/replaced to Windows 7. Sync is by wireless. Outlook is 2010. Currently my wife is using the built in apps and the Google cloud and is waiting patiently (impatiently) for me to identify a solution which in her words "just works". My hope is that this is solved by ComPanionLink and DejaOffice.

Ideally we are looking for Outlook functionality with respect to diary management AND that any and all changes made in either Outlook or DejaOffice will sync when we run the sync with the understanding that if both have changes then either a detailed message will be produced OR the most recent wins. In many cases the entries are blocks of days set aside for a particular purpose ("All Day" events starting on one date and running every day till end date) and there the requirement is that from time to time one day may be removed and we expect that deletion to sync. Also, 4 days is 4 days and not 5 - see Thread "Incorrect sync of "all day" events over multiple days. The most common however is sets of entries which repeat at the same time and occur on the same day of the week for a number of weeks. In those cases not only will an occasional entry be deleted but also an entry may be moved to a different time slot on the same day or even a different day and obviously we want that to be able to be done on either device and then synchronised correctly. - see Thread "Outlook and DejaOffice and entries which repeat at the same time and same day each week". Your colleague Thomas has acknowledged these so I am hopeful that you will achieve success. Certainly I am most willing to participate in structured tests to assist so feel free to consider me as a willing resource to aid development.