Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: DejaOffice v1.12.8 avail in the Market

DejaOffice Team Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Blobby View Post
    Big mistake in my view.
    What is the point if everyone just turns them off.
    The default should be OFF and only select ON if you want them. Like we're going to do that!
    My phone shouldn't be using an inkling of resources on this bad taste "feature".
    I'll be watching this closely as once the rot sets in it's difficult to eradicate.
    [AB44977] In April 2011 we have added Ads to DejaOffice. We are looking at gently monetizing our cost of
    development on this platform. While PC Sync is a paid product, our handheld side has been free.

If you don't like the ads, in DejaOffice you can easily turn them off. Here's how.

1. Open DejaOffice
    2. Go to Settings then General Settings
    3. Uncheck Enable Advertising

In the future, we may "raise the bar" by having an in app payment or using the PC Software to subsidize the handheld side
    development. For now, there is no charge to turn off advertising within DejaOffice.

I hope this information helps.

Quote Originally Posted by BamBam View Post
    I must agree with theemptysky - I think the presence of advertising banners in an application we all paid for ...the ads simply should not be part of a fully licensed application.
    I'm not a huge fan of ads, either, and when I update to 1.11.2 I will disable the ads. But I have to ask - how much did you pay for DJO, and who did you send your payment to? DJO is a free app; it is CompanionLink which is purchased (or at least that's how it is for me).

I know that sounds pedantic since we all use both apps. But I bet if you compared the number of changes that have gone into DJO since you started using it against the number that have gone into CL, you'd see that DJO has undergone a lot more development than CL. So up to this point they've been using CL to subsidize DJO development.

If that's becoming financially untenable for the company, then they need to monetize DJO somehow, whether that's through ads or through a purchase program. Personally, I hate ads and am perfectly willing to pay for an application that I use so frequently, so I hope they'll go with a (reasonably priced) purchase option.

In the meantime, I'll disable ads.

DejaOffice Team Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RobFreundlich View Post
    I'm not a huge fan of ads, either, and when I update to 1.11.2 I will disable the ads. But I have to ask - how much did you pay for DJO, and who did you send your payment to? DJO is a free app; it is CompanionLink which is purchased (or at least that's how it is for me).

I know that sounds pedantic since we all use both apps. But I bet if you compared the number of changes that have gone into DJO since you started using it against the number that have gone into CL, you'd see that DJO has undergone a lot more development than CL. So up to this point they've been using CL to subsidize DJO development.

If that's becoming financially untenable for the company, then they need to monetize DJO somehow, whether that's through ads or through a purchase program. Personally, I hate ads and am perfectly willing to pay for an application that I use so frequently, so I hope they'll go with a (reasonably priced) purchase option.

Hi Rob,

Thank you so much for being willing to take a step back and mindfully speak to the realities of Software Development. You hit the nail on the head.
    The only point I would disagree with is where you said "we all use both apps". There are thousands of stand alone DejaOffice users who require support and use the forums, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    Hi Rob,

Thank you so much for being willing to take a step back and mindfully speak to the realities of Software Development. You hit the nail on the head.
    I'm a software developer myself, and have been for over 20 years. That gives one some perspective ...

The only point I would disagree with is where you said "we all use both apps". There are thousands of stand alone DejaOffice users who require support and use the forums, etc...
    You're in a better position to know that than I am :-)

In the future, we may "raise the bar" by having an in app payment or using the PC Software to subsidize the handheld side
    development. For now, there is no charge to turn off advertising within DejaOffice.

I hope this information helps.

When I got my first Android phone, I paid $9.99 for DJO. I had major problems with the phone and ended up switching phones and carries. When I went to re-install my apps I discovered that the paid version was gone. Whatever happened to the paid version?

--Charlene

DejaOffice Team Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CharleneTX View Post
    When I got my first Android phone, I paid $9.99 for DJO. I had major problems with the phone and ended up switching phones and carries. When I went to re-install my apps I discovered that the paid version was gone. Whatever happened to the paid version?

--Charlene
    Hi Charlene,
    We never had a paid option for Software for the Android for $9.99. Perhaps you were using the Secure Hosted Sync Service? I just checked with senior staff because I started with CompanionLink in Dec 2010.
    If I learn something new about this I will add it here.

Quote Originally Posted by RobFreundlich View Post

Rob (and Thomas) - I too am a software developer, so I understand a company can't survive if it's not got enough of a revenue stream to pay for ongoing development, support, etc. And I'd be happy to pay for DejaOffice, as well, no problem.

My own complaint about the ads (voiced in another thread) is similar to that of some others here - if you're paying for something that's part of the stream of apps involved in a workflow (eg. DejaOffice and CompanionLink, and you pay for CompanionLink), then it would be a Good Thing(tm) to not automatically enable ads in one part of the workflow, because it's known that, somewhere along the line, we paid for part of that workflow.

If you want to look at DejaOffice and CompanionLink as separate and unrelated products, I can see your point; personally (to respond to Thomas' comment), I couldn't see the point of using DejaOffice without CompanionLink, but if there are indeed that many people downloading DejaOffice without paying for CompanionLink, I can see HIS point in the desire to try to get some money out of DejaOffice. That doesn't invalidate my 1st point about already having paid for part of the workflow.

In good faith, I think it would have been nice if the developers had made some kind of easily-found announcement (eg. a Sticky posting in the forums, or something VERY obvious in the Market Changelog - like, 1st thing mentioned) saying "In this release, and going forward, we are experimenting with using banner ads in DejaOffice. You can easily turn these off, for now. For those who paid for CompanionLink, we apologize for any temporary inconvenience; sadly, many use DejaOffice without buying CompanionLink, so we are trying to find a way to recoup our losses in that regard." etc.

That kind of thing.

That way it wouldn't have felt like it was being sprung on me out of the blue, and I would have had a much better feeling about it.

A developer can do anything they like, of course, but the above would have been better public relations, in my opinion. :-)

- Tim

EDIT: I know that my argument above wouldn't make any sense to most of the big software companies out there (eg. just because you buy Microsoft Word doesn't mean you shouldn't have to pay for Excel if you want to use it), but the way CompanionLink and DejaOffice are tied together (at least in my own mind) makes it seem like a different or special case.
    Last edited by tbessie; 04-07-2011 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Changed last edit - would -> wouldn't

Fair points to consider, Rob and Thomas.

And tbessie, you summarized my thoughts exactly. Having used Datebk, PocketInformant BB, and numerous other PIMs, I have always considered the mobile app and its ability to sync to desktop as a single workflow. $40 for CL with DJO, clearly a work in progress over the last 6 mos, was much more than I've paid for phone PIMs in the past- PIMs that were less beta-y. So having the ads suddenly appear was really irritating; I agree a straightforward "we're testing this out" message would have helped the introduction be more "gentle".

Monetizing through ads for users who only download the free app? Understandable. DJO team, just please be sure not to forget that CL users are not those same users.

Business apps should be paid for software and non-business ad funded if required in my view.
    Can you imagine using MS Word or even Outlook throwing ads up on screen all the time?
    I use Docs to Go from Datavis which is a paid for app and is a professional business suite with NO adverts.
    DejaOffice should be the same; I would gladly pay a reasonable fee for it.
    I can see ads becoming a permanent non-switchable feature in the future which will be a case for dumping DJO in my opinion.
    I can also honestly say that I have never ever read an advert or clicked on one, so the suckers paying for this are the real losers.
    This tacky feature in what is business software has prompted me to start investigating alternatives.

I am looking to solve a specific sorting problem between the Droid phone and Microsoft Outlook contacts, in which even though I am sorting Outlook contacts by File as name, and even though when I look at a specific record within Contacts it shows File as name correctly as Last, First, it still nevertheless sorts the "overview" list as First Last.

Indications here are that this will work, but now this mention above that says "requires CL build 4037" has me wondering, what the heck is "CL build 4037"? Is this an Android term? Where do I find it? I'm an iPhone guy, I don't necessarily know this stuff.

Also a vote of confidence that this software, together with companionlink, will actually solve the specific problem I indicated above, would be much appreciated. Please advise asap. Thanks.