Thread: Syncing is getting worse!

Unhappy Syncing is getting worse!

Hi there,

I have upgraded to 1.11.1 and the former problems of the phone taking 45 min to sync have intermittently come back.
    Now I downloaded 1.11.2 from the Market (first time I use the Market to install) and EVERY time I sync, the phone takes around 45 min to finish syncing.

I am running Companionlink for Palm Build 4036

Here is what happens: Since about 2 or 3 releases, when you push the sync button on the phone the applications as well as the dialog box "push OK on the PC when syncing finished" opens, but then CLOSES again. This didn't happen before. The application stayed open and as far as I recall the instructions were to push OK first on the PC and then OK on DJO to unmount the USB port and proceed.

Now the application stays closed until I manually unmount the USB port. Then it opens and comes up with "updating Android contacts 1%" which takes like forever to reach the 100%. Pushing the "cancel" button does nothing.

Impossible to live like that...

One other thing: I have had some minor corruption on the Android side. I suppose that might have happened when trying out how to get things right, so I'm not very worried by that. What I would need is a ONE WAY to sync from DJO to Android. DJO is my main DB and I only use Android to populate the dialer. There is an option to read android data but I really only want to WRITE Android data. Does that not make sense to some users?

I am running 2.1 Eclair and am one of those users in the setup menu that have no entry to sync with native contacts, only with a google account (which I had to set up but do not use). Could the delay have to do with not being connected to the internet? But I never was and since about January not had this delay problem...

Thanks for answering ASAP!

Miguel

DejaOffice Team Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    Hi there,

I have upgraded to 1.11.1 and the former problems of the phone taking 45 min to sync have intermittently come back.
    Now I downloaded 1.11.2 from the Market (first time I use the Market to install) and EVERY time I sync, the phone takes around 45 min to finish syncing.

I am running Companionlink for Palm Build 4036

Here is what happens: Since about 2 or 3 releases, when you push the sync button on the phone the applications as well as the dialog box "push OK on the PC when syncing finished" opens, but then CLOSES again. This didn't happen before. The application stayed open and as far as I recall the instructions were to push OK first on the PC and then OK on DJO to unmount the USB port and proceed.

Now the application stays closed until I manually unmount the USB port. Then it opens and comes up with "updating Android contacts 1%" which takes like forever to reach the 100%. Pushing the "cancel" button does nothing.

Impossible to live like that...

One other thing: I have had some minor corruption on the Android side. I suppose that might have happened when trying out how to get things right, so I'm not very worried by that. What I would need is a ONE WAY to sync from DJO to Android. DJO is my main DB and I only use Android to populate the dialer. There is an option to read android data but I really only want to WRITE Android data. Does that not make sense to some users?

I am running 2.1 Eclair and am one of those users in the setup menu that have no entry to sync with native contacts, only with a google account (which I had to set up but do not use). Could the delay have to do with not being connected to the internet? But I never was and since about January not had this delay problem...

Thanks for answering ASAP!

Miguel
    Hi Miguel,

We apologize you are experiencing this problem. You mentioned syncing with a Google account in your note.
    I would suggest you disable syncing contacts and Calendars on your Google Account.
    Here are some steps for that. It may be slightly different form phone to phone to find it in the Phone settings.

[AB42512] When you set up your Android, it automatically sets your Android Contacts and Android Calendar to synchronize to
    Google. Here is how to turn it off:

1. Open Settings. Select "Accounts", "Accounts & Sync", or "Data Synchronization"
    2. Select the Google account (if available)
    3. Uncheck Contacts and/or Calendar

Let me know if you have any trouble finding it in 2.1

Nope. That's not it. Automatic syncing was already off in the submenu "Accounts & Sync". Under the sub-submenu of my Google account I only have the option "press to sync now" - and I don't press :-)

But in the past quite a few people have reported this behaviour. I had it too when I first started using DJO around November. Lately it was gone until - and I'm not sure exactly when - the sync function stopped unmounting the USB port. It was definitely when I upgraded versions but which? But still afterwards, it didn't happen every the time. Now it does.

What I would like is wipe the Android contact DB and rebuild it from DJA but there is no option in Android contacts to delete all the records. Maybe a separate application? And if I sync then, will DJO write TO Android or will Android clear DJO? I am using DJO professionally and I really can't afford to loose any data!

Thanks for your help.

Miguel

DejaOffice Team Member
    Hi Miguel,

On some phones you can use these steps. Some phones require you Set the phone back to factory settings. (AKA CLEAR all data on the phone.)

[AB44704]
    1. Be sure the data in the PC is current and Complete.
    2. Be sure you have a backup of the PIM data on your PC.

[NOTE]To clear the Google calendar and contacts and resync from your PIM data please follow instructions below:
    A. Log into Google, click into gmail and then click on Contacts
    B. Click the Box above the Contacts and set to ALL, all contacts will have a check mark, de-select one contact and then click More Actions and Delete data... clear all data except for one contact.
    C. Click into the Calendar now and click Settings (upper right) and Calendar Settings.
    D.Click Calendar Tab and then click DELETE for the Primary cal events...
    Once you are returned to the calendar create one test calendar event...

3. Open Companionlink on the PC and reset the Settings to your Preferences.
    4. Be sure to set the Purge and Reload boxes in the Applications Tab.
    5. Resync using the Sync steps for your phone as per the Setup and sync guide

I hope this helps

Hi Thomas,

For information, but you surely already knows that :
    For the Samsung Galaxy S, it is necessary to update to Froyo 2.2.1 with Kies so as to eradicate the mobile inner "lags" and to multiply the Android contacts sync by a factor of 10 !!!

With Froyo 2.2.1, the SGS becomes a pleasure with speed and fluidity and the DJO sync through USB too.

Could be inside your FAQ (?)...

Regards.

Thanks for your quick reply. Unfortunately, it doesn't really address the problem. It would probably solve my problem temporarily but not permanently. Every time I purge and reload I have to set up my dialing application aTakePhone anew. I'm sick of that.

Let's try to go deeper here: This morning when I switched on my phone I got an android "delete limit exceeded in contacts - /around/ 3960 contacts deleted" message (I didn't write down the exact number but I have 1717 contacts on the PIM).
    It gave me 3 options, delete the items, undo the deletes, do nothing for now. I deleted the items.
    Later I got to the office and synced with CL as always.
    As happens lately, DJO does NOT UNMOUNT the USB port as it did before (you didn't address this separate issue!) so I did it manually. A message-box came up stating "syncing". It took about 1 minute to sync and then I got the message "syncing finished". The eternal message "updating Android contacts x%" did not come up at all.
    I superficially checked the data, looks OK.

So, the problem has nothing to do with either DJO or CL. It must have something to do with the relationship between Android / Google / and what DJO infers from there (trying to sync to deleted records???).

In my case, I have and always have had Google sync OFF. I checked my account on the web and there are no contacts in there. What could be happening is that during each DJO/Android synch some records are deleted or updated (updating could mean delete + rewrite!?). Android apparently keeps the deleted records waiting until a sync with Google takes place, which never happens. So the long time it takes for DJO to sync could have to do with the number of records deleted (3960 in my case is a lot of records).

This is all of course only a guess but I think this is a direction you could investigate. After all, this problem has come up quite a few times in this forum and I haven't really seen a definite solution for it. On the other hand, it appears to affects people with a lot of usage (many syncs) and big contact lists, i.e. professional users, exactly the type of people you are trying to attract :-)

Hope this helps.

Miguel

Sorry Thomas, just noticed something else that could be relevant.
    I never ever open Android contacts because I use aTakePhone to manage all my calls. But I just opened it because I was suspicious why one certain record in DJO wasn't syncing properly to Android (when looked at from aTakePhone which uses the Android DB). What I noticed is that the contacts application was doing something weird (the list kept changing, records moving position) and my phone slowed down. And BTW, the record in question was OK now!

COULD, just could it be that the contacts application re-indexes or does whatever to the contacts DB, maybe including getting rid of the deleted records? If that was the case the problem would be solved!

Thanks,

Miguel

This is getting weirder by the day.

I was away for a couple of days, just back in the office to sync.
    What is just happening now is that the "reading android contacts (%)" shows up BEFORE the application mounts the USB port (therefore, before CL is invoked on the PC.) And again it's taking ages... (but not 30min, only 15 min!)

So I waited... At 100% the USB is mounted automatically and the application didn't close!!!
    Now it's CL that is taking longer than usual: "Reading android contacts xxx (Quicksync)", but still acceptable (around 1 minute). Calendar and Notes are significantly faster (they don't sync with native contacts). When it finishes, I push OK on the PC, OK on the phone, DJO comes up with "Syncing..." and after some 30 seconds it closes. Everything looks OK.

What really puzzles me is the change in event sequence.

Now I understand if you don't answer because you don't have an answer but I would be very pleased about a feed-back indicating if you are taking this issue up.

Thanks for your time and patience.

Miguel

Ahh. My WiFi was on, while normally it is off. So here I go again, still with WiFi on, trying to replicate. Now the "updating Android Contacts" message box starts at 26%. I grow old waiting, so push "cancel" and it cancels!!! This is new! Great!

Now with WiFi off. The "updating Android Contacts" shows up for less than a second before the USB port is mounted. Then the rest goes completely normally and very fast. DJO does not close after mounting the USB port. The whole syncing takes less than 1 minute.

SO: ANOTHER CLUE: Check for interference from WiFi when doing USB backups! Hope this helps!

Hello guys,

It's been a few weeks and this issue has been coming up again and again in the forums and every time Thomas or somebody else replies they're only beating about the bush.

Myself, I've basically giving up trying to replicate the problem. Last week the phone took 3 hours to sync! On the other hand, without changing hardware or software releases, the problem has lately shown up only a few times (and I sync twice every working day).

Before syncing, I do this now: 1. Make sure the phone has internet connection (WiFi in my case). 2. Make sure the USB cable (over which I sync) is DISconnected. 3. Close all applications on the phone, specially DJO (just close, not kill). 4. Plug in USB cable. 5. Run DJO Sync from phone desktop link.
    When everything goes right (mainly the DJO window doesn't close half way through) syncing is blazingly fast, even with a large DB as I have.

Most time I run into problems is when I'm late for an appointment and skip one of these steps. Then I get into the car and my phone is locked down for a long time while syncing counts up the %. During that time I - of course - can't look up an address or a phone number and sometimes the data of the appointment I'm driving to.

You have to get to grips with this issue. Nevertheless, I want all to know that even with this glitch DJO is a fabulous application and the closest there is to the unbeatable Palm. Some things are even getting better than Palm. I'm on your side guys!

If you need me to do specific tests in order to help out just let me know.

Miguel