Thread: Big sync problem after updating CL and Android 2.3.3

Big sync problem after updating CL and Android 2.3.3

Hello,

HTC Desire HD
    CL version 4.0 build 4042
    DJO 1.11.3
    Android 2.3.3.
    Palmdesktop 4.1.4

Saturday I updated my HTC Desire Hd from 2.1 to 2.3.3.
    Everything was working ok.
    The speed of getting my data in DJO was back to normal (before it was a bit slower than I was used to).
    DJO did have two force closes but everything worked fine after that.
    So I did not worry and was happy....until I did an update this morning from CL 4041 to 4042.
    After that I did sync my HTC Desire HD for the first time since both updates.

As Thomas did recommend in a previous thread about my memos, these were my settings:
    - Contacts, calendar, tasks and notes; sync both ways
    - Records deleted in both Android and Palmdesktop will be synchronised
    - latest changes are kept

My DJO was totally EMPTY for contacts, calendar, tasks and notes!
    Everything was still on my Palmdesktop.
    And I am welcomed to DJO office and have to set up DJO wizard again

So the second time I did a sync with these settings:
    - Contacts, calendar, tasks and notes; Palmdesktop to android and purge and reload
    - Palmdesktop is primary
    - Palmdesktop data are kept

It all was back but DJO settings changed from microsize to delightfull size. It looks like all changes I made in DJO settings were gone.

As I now didn't trust that it was ok and wouldn't recure I did sync several times with the first settings: sync both ways.
    After the 4e of 5e time it happened again: my DJO was EMPTY AGAIN, but the changes I made in DJO Tasks had been send to my Palmdesktop tasks anyway.
    WEIRD?

What I noticed since I have done those updates is that if I press sync on my HTC it first starts reading android contacts, then does sync with the pc but doesn't sync with the android contacts afterwards as it did before the updates.

I did several sync and this is what happenned:
    1e was the restoring of my data as mentioned above.
    The second:
    - pressed sync on the phone
    - reading android contacts
    - press ok when pc sync is complete
    - synchronizing
    - sync complete; ok

3e; when I pressed sync on the phone ----> updating android contacts. Sync complete.
    4e; read android contacts and did sync with the pc. sync complete
    5e; it stopped unexpectedly (it force closed) and gave a server error and when I cancelled it ---> went to About DEJA Office page,
    unplugged the usb connection,
    Message to plug the usb connection before pressing sync button ---> plugged the usb and DJO force closed again.
    Did a restart of my phone then everything worked fine.
    Did 1e sync:
    - read android contacts
    - synchronizing
    - sync complete ok
    2e sync; updating android contacts, sync complete ---> within seconds and nothing happened on the pc.
    3e sync;
    - reading android contacts, etc etc sync complete (see 1e sync)
    - opened calendar: updating android database
    4e sync; as 2e
    5e sync; as 3e
    6e sync; as 4e

Sorry for the lenght but I didn't know how to get it shorter and still explain the weird things.

What is happening and please can you help me, since before the updates my phone synced without any problems.

Sincerly,
    Alexandra
    Last edited by Lexie; 05-17-2011 at 07:37 AM.

DejaOffice Team Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lexie View Post
    Hello,

HTC Desire HD
    CL version 4.0 build 4042
    DJO 1.11.3
    Android 2.3.3.
    Palmdesktop 4.1.4

Saturday I updated my HTC Desire Hd from 2.1 to 2.3.3.
    Everything was working ok.
    The speed of getting my data in DJO was back to normal (before it was a bit slower than I was used to).
    DJO did have two force closes but everything worked fine after that.
    So I did not worry and was happy....until I did an update this morning from CL 4041 to 4042.
    After that I did sync my HTC Desire HD for the first time since both updates.

As Thomas did recommend in a previous thread about my memos, these were my settings:

My DJO was totally EMPTY for contacts, calendar, tasks and notes!
    Everything was still on my Palmdesktop.
    And I am welcomed to DJO office and have to set up DJO wizard again

So the second time I did a sync with these settings:
    - Contacts, calendar, tasks and notes; Palmdesktop to android and purge and reload
    - Palmdesktop is primary
    - Palmdesktop data are kept

It all was back but DJO settings changed from microsize to delightfull size. It looks like all changes I made in DJO settings were gone.

As I now didn't trust that it was ok and wouldn't recure I did sync several times with the first settings: sync both ways.
    After the 4e of 5e time it happened again: my DJO was EMPTY AGAIN, but the changes I made in DJO Tasks had been send to my Palmdesktop tasks anyway.
    WEIRD?

What I noticed since I have done those updates is that if I press sync on my HTC it first starts reading android contacts, then does sync with the pc but doesn't sync with the android contacts afterwards as it did before the updates.

I did several sync and this is what happenned:
    1e was the restoring of my data as mentioned above.
    The second:
    - synchronizing
    - sync complete; ok

3e; when I pressed sync on the phone ----> updating android contacts. Sync complete.
    4e; read android contacts and did sync with the pc. sync complete
    5e; it stopped unexpectedly (it force closed) and gave a server error and when I cancelled it ---> went to About DEJA Office page,
    unplugged the usb connection,
    Message to plug the usb connection before pressing sync button ---> plugged the usb and DJO force closed again.
    Did a restart of my phone then everything worked fine.
    Did 1e sync:
    - read android contacts
    - synchronizing
    - sync complete ok
    2e sync; updating android contacts, sync complete ---> within seconds and nothing happened on the pc.
    3e sync;
    - reading android contacts, etc etc sync complete (see 1e sync)
    - opened calendar: updating android database
    4e sync; as 2e
    5e sync; as 3e
    6e sync; as 4e

Sorry for the lenght but I didn't know how to get it shorter and still explain the weird things.

What is happening and please can you help me, since before the updates my phone synced without any problems.

Sincerly,
    Alexandra
    Hello Alexandra,

I am reading your report very closely. Can you verify a couple of things for me?
    1. Are you syncing with the Native Android Contacts and or Celandar?
    2. If yes, is Goggle sync for contacts and calendar turned off in the Accounts n Sync settings on your phone?
    3. I am doing a bit of translating characters and want to make sure I am doing this correctly:
    4e sync; as 2e
    5e sync; as 3e
    6e sync; as 4e
    My translation =
    4th sync; as 2nd
    5th sync; as 3rd
    6th sync; as 4th

Is this correct?
    Also what sync method are you using? USB, WiFi or Secure Hosted?

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    Hello Alexandra,

I am reading your report very closely. Can you verify a couple of things for me?
    1. Are you syncing with the Native Android Contacts and or Celandar?
    2. If yes, is Goggle sync for contacts and calendar turned off in the Accounts n Sync settings on your phone?
    3. I am doing a bit of translating characters and want to make sure I am doing this correctly:
    4e sync; as 2e
    5e sync; as 3e
    6e sync; as 4e
    My translation =
    4th sync; as 2nd
    5th sync; as 3rd
    6th sync; as 4th

Is this correct?
    Also what sync method are you using? USB, WiFi or Secure Hosted?
    Hello Thomas,

Thanks for helping me again

1. I do sync with the native android contacts but do not sync with the native android calendar since I only use DJO calendar (which, I think, comes very close to my old treo)
    2. So in accounts & sync I have uncheck the background data and unchecked the auto-sync. I only turn on the background data for updates from market. I never have the auto-sync turned on because I want to be in control what my device does.

The syncs went okay before the updates. I did sync before updating android 2.3.3. because I didn't want the risk of losing any data.

3. the translation is correct.

I do sync with USB only charge.

Thanks again for helping me.

Alexandra
    Last edited by Lexie; 05-18-2011 at 05:24 AM.

Hello Thomas,

i had some spare time and I do have 2 backups for my phone, so I decided to test the sync some more.
    So I do sync native android contacts and have unchecked the the background data and unchecked the auto-sync in accounts & settings. And did sync through USB set to charge only.
    I did this 11 times after another and only the 7e time it only said updating android contacts and sync complete but it never did sync with the pc. All the other time the following happened:
    - synchronizing
    - sync complete; ok

And DJO never force closed this time.
    I hope this helps.
    If I can do anything else please let me know.
    I am always willing to test things to help myself and through that others.
    Last edited by Lexie; 05-18-2011 at 11:18 AM.

Hello Thomas,

I did some tests by adding and deleting events in calendar, contacts, notes and tasks and everything worked ok.
    DJO never had any problems and didn't force close.
    So maybe we can let it rest for now until I experience new problems.
    For now it seems to work well.
    BUT I still don't know what went wrong and if it was my mistake.

If it is ok with you I will post in this thread again when I do experience further issues.
    I will monitor every step I take carefully and will write it down so if it goes wrong again I can suply you with more details.

Thanks for the great support. It is comforting to know that I have the DJO team to lean on when something goes wrong.

Sincerly,
    Alexandra

DejaOffice Team Member
    Hello Thomas,

I did some tests by adding and deleting events in calendar, contacts, notes and tasks and everything worked ok.
    DJO never had any problems and didn't force close.
    So maybe we can let it rest for now until I experience new problems.
    For now it seems to work well.
    BUT I still don't know what went wrong and if it was my mistake.

If it is ok with you I will post in this thread again when I do experience further issues.
    I will monitor every step I take carefully and will write it down so if it goes wrong again I can suply you with more details.

Thanks for the great support. It is comforting to know that I have the DJO team to lean on when something goes wrong.

Sincerly,
    Alexandra
    Hi Lexie,

OK, we can always come back to this. Not sure either but if things are working as designed there is little to troubleshoot. Don't hesitate to post if you encounter problems in the future.

Hello Thomas,

since the last post I haven't had the time to do a sync.
    Just now I did a sync.
    It did happen again. DJO is empty! And DJO is back to it original settings. Everything I adjusted in settings has gone except for the setup wizard.
    My settings were:

And it said sync complete. But didn't show read android contacts and updating android contacts.

It is strange that the changes I have made on my phone last week were transfered to my palmdesktop during the sync.

Calendar were 2319 --> I did add appointments and they are now 2321
    Contacts, Tasks and notes were still the same because I didn't change them.

I saw that CL is now up to 4044 and I have still 4042. Should I first update CL and could that, maybe, solve the issue.
    I will leave DJO as it is for now. And will wait for your advise. I don't need the data on my phone today as I am home most of the time and I still have all the data on my desktop.

I hope you can help me with my weird problem.
    DJO and CL used to work fine before.

Sincerly,
    Alexandra
    Last edited by Lexie; 05-27-2011 at 03:02 AM.

Hello Thomas,

I was just thinking: would it be an idea to uninstall DJO, update CL and start from scratch since I have all the data still on my desktop and treo?
    Maybe it will be fixed this way?
    And another question: do other people contacted you with similar problems or is it just my phone acting weird?

Sincerly,
    Alexandra

DejaOffice Team Member
    Hello Thomas,

I was just thinking: would it be an idea to uninstall DJO, update CL and start from scratch since I have all the data still on my desktop and treo?
    Maybe it will be fixed this way?
    And another question: do other people contacted you with similar problems or is it just my phone acting weird?

Sincerly,
    Alexandra
    Hello Alexandra,
    We do get inquiries. The trick on our end is to determine if the problem is a configuration issue. An issue with a specific model/OS phone or a bug in the software. I spend most of my time attempting to repproduce problems customers are having.

I would suggest if you uninstall DejaOffice to delete the CLUSB Folder on on the SD Card while it is uninstalled. That is where the DejaOffice Data files are stored. Then reinstall DejaOffice and do a Purge n Reload form CompanionLink. Id that doesn't resolve the issue I will have you submit log files to our support group for us to examine. We may be able to find a resolution that way. Keep me in to the loop. I want to help.

Hello Thomas,

thanks for your quick reply.
    I will do as you suggest and uninstall DJO and delete the clusb folder.
    I will also update CL.
    But unfortunately it will have to wait until tomorrow because I have to go out.
    I will keep you posted on my results.

Alexandra