Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "Syncing Android contacts"... how many times?

Thanks ProTel to make me feel less alone...

Thomas, what about me switching to Wi-Fi sync?
    WinXP - Palm Desktop 4.2 - Sony Xperia ZR - Android 4.2.2 - CL 5.0 (B.5070) - DJO 2.5.2 (484) - Hotsync 6.1.0 - WiFi Sync

Quote Originally Posted by NickStick View Post
    ...what about me switching to Wi-Fi sync?
    Answer to myself:

1. Ensure that your Android device is connected to your local Wi-Fi network, and that DejaOffice is running on the device.

2. Ensure CompanionLink is running on the PC, then tap "Synchronize" within CompanionLink.

"Unable to connect to remote device." :/

Maybe because device and PC are too "far away"?
    I mean: device<--->access_point<--->switch<--->switch2<--->PC

Please let me have a reliable/quick/comfortable sync...
    WinXP - Palm Desktop 4.2 - Sony Xperia ZR - Android 4.2.2 - CL 5.0 (B.5070) - DJO 2.5.2 (484) - Hotsync 6.1.0 - WiFi Sync

DejaOffice Team Member
    Answer to myself:

1. Ensure that your Android device is connected to your local Wi-Fi network, and that DejaOffice is running on the device.

2. Ensure CompanionLink is running on the PC, then tap "Synchronize" within CompanionLink.

"Unable to connect to remote device." :/

Maybe because device and PC are too "far away"?
    I mean: device<--->access_point<--->switch<--->switch2<--->PC

Please let me have a reliable/quick/comfortable sync...
    Hello NickStick,

You may have already done this...
    Please verify the IP Address and Device name in DejaOffice match the settings placed in COmpanionLink Setup.

1. Open DejaOffice and Tap Settings
    2. Tap Sync Settings> WiFi Settings.
    3. Open CompanionLink Setup on your PC Desktop.
    4. Click the gear next to the Local WiFi Sync Setting.
    5. Verify the IP address and the Device name match perfectly.
    Please note that this is Local WiFi Sync. Your Android Device and your PC have to be connected to the same LAN.

DejaOffice Team Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ProTel-BS View Post
    Hello NickStick and Thomas,

I have similar problems:

1. I always use USB sync and connect HTC Desire to PC with option "charge only", nevertheless the "removable disk menu" appears on PC (not only in the last months but since I use DJO and CL).

2. Yes, about every fourth time after I press "Sync" on the device this menu opens on the PC and CL opens and starts, but then suddenly DJO closes on the device (I see HTC Sense home screen). So the "OK" button on the device disappears making it impossible to "press OK after sync has finished". After some investigation it seems, that when I then press "Sync" on the device again I struggle with a crashed DJO, wrong syncs (lost or duplicate data on the device and/or in Outlook) and other faults. I found that when I wait an amount of time, then press "OK" in CL and disconnect USB from the device, and then waiting for the device finishing DJO-Android sync (this often starts when I start DJO manually), following syncs seem to be correct.

3. Concerning the "try later" message when disconnecting USB from PC, in another thread I remarked that since CL version 5 the file 'companionlink.db-shm' isn't closed correctly (each time I exit CL a Windows error message appears that not all data could be written to this file. Obviously this file stays in use even after a finished sync, preventing USB connection to be disconnected.

I agree with NickStick that USB sync has become worse since CL 5, but my above second point is there even since CL 4.

I hope and expect that these things will be fixed in very near future!

Regards
    Arno
    Arno,

When DejaOffice closes during a Sync follow these steps:
    1. Let the PC complete it's process. (DO not do anything on your Android device while PC is running it's course.)
    2. Click OK on the desktop when prompted.
    3. Physically remove the Phone form the PC. (Unplug the USB Cable)
    4. Close CompanionLink and any other applications on your PC.
    5. Restart your PC.
    6. Restart your Android Device.
    7. Sync your phone again.

I'll try this but I cannot do all 7 steps if it happens often.

p.s. I wrote a previous message but it looks it was "moderated" so it doesnt' appear...

I restarted PC and Android device BEFORE sync to have a clean start.

Then I pressed sync button on DJO.

DJO "disappeared" while CL was syncing.

2. When CL completed, I clicked OK on PC.

3. I removed phone from PC by unplugging USB cable.

Surprise! DJO "re-appeared" on device screen and correctly completed syncing.

I think DJO don't close or crash, it just disappears, otherwise it could not "re-appear" and complete the sync process...

Everything looks ok.

Just an Android system warning appeared after the sync to tell to connect USB (maybe because of brute force USB disconnection).
    I tried to reconnect USB to see, but nothing happened, I think I can ignore the warning.

I think I'll sync like this until we can have a solution.

Have a nice w.e. to everybody.

There is need to reconnect USB otherwise alarms won't go off!

DejaOffice Team Member
    There is need to reconnect USB otherwise alarms won't go off!
    Nickstick,

We are aware of this issue and have fixed it in 1.12.4.
    Here is a snippet of the release notes:
    -fixed an issue where old DejaOffice alarms may ring after syncing or after mounting the SD card

First sync with 1.12.4.

On PC "USB mass storage" windows appear, then CL tell to press "OK" on device.
    In the meanwhile, DJO disappears from device screen.

Just as it was in 1.12.2 and 1.12.3. :/

So, the only way to make it appear again to press "OK" is to "brutally" disconnect USB cable.

I says "brutally" because PC USB manager tells me that it's not possible to safely disconnect device, but I'm obliged to do it.

So, after USB is disconnected, DJO appears back on device screen with a "syncing..." pop-up.

Then, I reconnect USB (or I will have NO alarms) and I HOPE everything is ok.

I'm obliged to this kind of unusual procedure just to make everything work as it should, but I cannot help to explain why "syncing" + "sync completed" pop-ups appear on screen twice.

I have to tell you I begin to be disappointed.
    I don't pretend Android+DJO to be on par of "golden age" of Palm "just-one-press-on-just-one-key"
    but I really need at least a reliable procedure to USB sync my data, which is what DJO+CL are promising.

Please help.

p.s. just finished writing the post and went back to device for another sync(*), unlock screen, ANOTHER "SYNCING" + "SYNC COMPLETED".

How many times?

(*) Why another sync?
    Because dismissing an alarm on device looks to be considered EDITING an event, so if I :
    1) really edit an event on Palm Desktop AND
    2) same event alarm goes off and I dismiss it AFTER the Palm Desktop editing
    Result: dismissing that alarm is considered LAST EDITING and it is kept while the real edit is lost.
    Last edited by NickStick; 11-21-2011 at 09:17 AM. Reason: further infos

DejaOffice Team Member
    First sync with 1.12.4.

On PC "USB mass storage" windows appear, then CL tell to press "OK" on device.
    In the meanwhile, DJO disappears from device screen.

Just as it was in 1.12.2 and 1.12.3. :/

So, the only way to make it appear again to press "OK" is to "brutally" disconnect USB cable.

I says "brutally" because PC USB manager tells me that it's not possible to safely disconnect device, but I'm obliged to do it.

So, after USB is disconnected, DJO appears back on device screen with a "syncing..." pop-up.

Then, I reconnect USB (or I will have NO alarms) and I HOPE everything is ok.

I'm obliged to this kind of unusual procedure just to make everything work as it should, but I cannot help to explain why "syncing" + "sync completed" pop-ups appear on screen twice.

I have to tell you I begin to be disappointed.
    I don't pretend Android+DJO to be on par of "golden age" of Palm "just-one-press-on-just-one-key"
    but I really need at least a reliable procedure to USB sync my data, which is what DJO+CL are promising.

Please help.

p.s. just finished writing the post and went back to device for another sync(*), unlock screen, ANOTHER "SYNCING" + "SYNC COMPLETED".

How many times?

(*) Why another sync?
    Because dismissing an alarm on device looks to be considered EDITING an event, so if I :
    1) really edit an event on Palm Desktop AND
    2) same event alarm goes off and I dismiss it AFTER the Palm Desktop editing
    Result: dismissing that alarm is considered LAST EDITING and it is kept while the real edit is lost.
    Nickstick,

I sent you a private message with steps to clear out the sync issue you are having.
    Let me know if you have any questions.