Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Retrieving Calendar Data"

"Retrieving Calendar Data"

On a Droid X, dejaCalendar reports "Retrieving Calendar Data" very frequently while trying to use the Calendar... this makes it slow to use and cumbersome.

Shouldn't it just "retrieve calendar data" once after each sync, instead of over and over again?

Is there a setting to make it "retrieve calendar data" only manually, instead of automatically and way too frequently?

Bump...

Bumping this up in hopes of getting some response.

DejaOffice Team Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boba fett View Post
    Bumping this up in hopes of getting some response.
    Hi boba fett,

Try these steps:

1. Open DejaCal and tap the "DejaCalendar" header.
    2. Tap Settings and then Tap Rebuild Calendar display

I agree this should not be as cumbersome as you are describing. If the problem persists I have some questions for you below:
    What is the exact OS version on your Droid X?
    I also want to get an idea of what your data set is like.
    Do you have a lot of calendar entries? (By a lot, I mean an average of 50 events or more in a given week.)
    Also, how far back do you sync your calendar entries?
    The CompanionLink default setting is 90 days. Have you modified this?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Rebuilding the calendar display only seemed to make a difference for a short time (an afternoon or so)... then "retrieving calendar data" started occurring frequently again.

Running Android version 2.2.1.

This is our General Manager's phone... by your definition he doesn't just have a "lot" of data; rather, he has a LOT of data. We're talking anywhere from 15-35 entries PER DAY. Lots of these are recurring all-day/untimed events, used as reminders, etc.

Currently set to sync the last 365 days of data. Our preference was to keep his full Palm Desktop calendar data set (going back about 6 years) but DejaCalendar was unusable with that.

It's only marginally usable with the last year's worth synced, and the constant "retrieving calendar data" delays make it such a pain that we're now looking at other calendar and pc-syncing options.
    Last edited by boba fett; 06-16-2011 at 07:49 AM.

DejaOffice Team Member
    Rebuilding the calendar display only seemed to make a difference for a short time (an afternoon or so)... then "retrieving calendar data" started occurring frequently again.

Running Android version 2.2.1.

This is our General Manager's phone... by your definition he doesn't just have a "lot" of data; rather, he has a LOT of data. We're talking anywhere from 15-35 entries PER DAY. Lots of these are recurring all-day/untimed events, used as reminders, etc.

Currently set to sync the last 365 days of data. Our preference was to keep his full Palm Desktop calendar data set (going back about 6 years) but DejaCalendar was unusable with that.

It's only marginally usable with the last year's worth synced, and the constant "retrieving calendar data" delays make it such a pain that we're now looking at other calendar and pc-syncing options.
    Hi Boba fett,

Sounds like a lot of info to manage.
    By default CompanionLink pulls the last 90 days of calendar data and it sounds like you have modified that.
    Out of curiosity what sync method do you use for this device?
    Are you Syncing with Native Android Calendar on the Phone?

USB sync; and no, not syncing to native Android calendar on the phone. We had tried that early on but it never seemed to work right.

DejaOffice Team Member
    USB sync; and no, not syncing to native Android calendar on the phone. We had tried that early on but it never seemed to work right.
    Hi Boba fett.

We can possibly take a look at the log/data file in house to see if we can optimize something for your boss. I am sending you a private message about how to submit the info.

I realize this is an old thread, but I've been facing this very same issue for quite a while now. Using the calendar is maddeningly slow, whether to open, move up/down, from one day to another, in and out of the menu, create or edit an event, save a record, etc. Far too often I get the message "Retrieving Calendar Data" or "Loading...".

My calendar is not as busy as the example mentioned above: I may have up to 60 events per week in the most current 2-3 weeks, but no more than 30 before or beyond that. I sync the default 90 days. Total records reach just over 1400. Any guidance most welcome.

Thanks,
    rfo

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - Android 4.4.2 - DO 2.5.9 (538) - CL 6008 - Direct USB sync (Mass Storage Mode) - Outlook 2010
    CL sync Android to Outlook one-way only - Sync with Android Contacts App (Contact Account DO) - No Sync to Android Calendar App - PC & laptop Windows 7

RFO, I'm sorry to hear it is slow. What can make it slow is the number of recurring events, particular events with "Change this Instance" style exceptions. Still, we strive for performance.

Can you please send your database to support@dejaoffice.com and we'll take a look at it. To do this go to Settings, Logging and Support, and then select "Email Log". Send to support@dejaoffice.com and type in "RFO-Forum" so we know what it is about. We'll take a look to see what we can optimize on this.

Hi DJOCTO,

You're right, I do have a lot of recurring events and use "Change this instance only" frequently too. I'm sending you a log.

rfo

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - Android 4.4.2 - DO 2.5.9 (538) - CL 6008 - Direct USB sync (Mass Storage Mode) - Outlook 2010
    CL sync Android to Outlook one-way only - Sync with Android Contacts App (Contact Account DO) - No Sync to Android Calendar App - PC & laptop Windows 7