Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Retrieving Calendar Data"

How coincidental - I've been using DejaOffice for about a year, and about 2 months ago, it started syncing very slowly. It went from 2 min to (now) 35 mins. At the time I was running CompanionLync 5022, and once the issue started, updated to the latest version (currently 5066; note I update my Android version whenever it needs to be updated). No difference after the updates. In anticipation of you echoing your previous directions, I've forwarded my log as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DJOCTO View Post
    RFO, I'm sorry to hear it is slow. What can make it slow is the number of recurring events, particular events with "Change this Instance" style exceptions. Still, we strive for performance.

Can you please send your database to support@dejaoffice.com and we'll take a look at it. To do this go to Settings, Logging and Support, and then select "Email Log". Send to support@dejaoffice.com and type in "RFO-Forum" so we know what it is about. We'll take a look to see what we can optimize on this.
    Hi DJOCTO,

Your support team don't know what to do with my log...

rfo

Samsung Galaxy A8+ (2018) - Android 8.0.0 - DO 4.4.14 (1102) - CL 5 (5098) - DejaCloud sync - Outlook 2010
    CL sync Android to Outlook one-way only - Sync with Android Contacts App (Contact Account DO) - No Sync to Android Calendar App - PC Windows 7

Ok. Here is our results with the data:

HTC Desire HD w/2.3.5/DJOA 2.4.4 (We tested on the HTC Thunderbolt with 2.3.5)

1. Load db onto Thunderbolt
    2. Stop DejaOffice process - forcing the app to build the calendar views
    from scratch
    3. Open DejaCalendar

Initial loading times:
    Day view: No lag
    Week view triggers 'Loading' message - 2-3 seconds
    Month view: No lag
    Year view: No lag initially
    Reloading times:
    Day view - none
    Week view - still triggers 'Loading' message for 2-3 seconds
    Month view - No lag
    Year view - I did see this catch and display 'Rebuilding calendar display' -
    which continued for more than a full minute. It isn't reliably reproducible,
    but I saw it a few times.

Does this result match what you are seeing? I'm guessing that it runs a bit slower somewhere for you.
    Last edited by DJOCTO; 06-17-2013 at 01:57 PM.

I just want to add that I often get the "Retrieving Calendar Data" message while scrolling through the calendar List view (which is what I use almost all the time).

I can't get more than a few pages down before I see "Retrieving Calendar Data" - and it lasts for a second or two while the screen becomes unresponsive; often, a scroll gesture by my thumb at this point is taken as a selection gesture by DejaOffice Calendar, and it opens an item my thumb happened to be on.

Though I am but a humble user, I *seriously* recommend adding some user-settable caching values (and possibly more aggressive background caching and background multithreaded processing) for the List view, so that merely paging through time in the List view stops bringing about these temporary freezes while data is retrieved.

Why doesn't the app do readahead/readbehind of a large chunk of values while scrolling is happening? And if I haven't changed any Calendar entries, recalculating placements of recurring events shouldn't have to be done if they'd been precalculated and cached, shouldn't they?

This got my goat a bit today, as I was trying to find something in List view quickly that a friend needed to know, and the scrolling kept freezing while it was "Retrieving Calendar Data" and I had to back out several times when the scroll gesture was read as a select gesture, as mentioned.

This is on a Galaxy Nexus, so the phone's processor "should" be able to keep up with the demands of any background calculations, I'd think.

And yes, I've "rebuilt calendar display" every so often, to little effect.

- Tim
    Last edited by tbessie; 06-19-2013 at 01:29 AM.
    Sony XZ2 Compact - Android 8.0 (stock)
    DejaOffice v4.4.8, build 1072 - CompanionLink Professional 8, Build 8018
    Outlook 2010 - CL Sync : Outlook <-(WiFi)-> Android

... comments? :-)

- Tim
    Sony XZ2 Compact - Android 8.0 (stock)
    DejaOffice v4.4.8, build 1072 - CompanionLink Professional 8, Build 8018
    Outlook 2010 - CL Sync : Outlook <-(WiFi)-> Android

Unfortunately, the calendar has always been slow for me. I sync less than 700 events every 90 days most of which are recurring.

Any suggestions?
    Mobile Device: OnePlus 5
    Android Version: 8.1
    DJO Version: 4.4.14 (build 1104)
    CompanionLink Build: 8024
    Syncing with: Outlook 2010
    Sync Method: DejaCloud Sync
    Android Contacts Sync Account: DejaOffice
    Computer OS: Windows 7 (64-Bit)

This problem started for me in the middle of last week. Before that, I had no problem. Now, almost every time I turn the phone's screen on, "Retrieving calendar data" occurs, often twice in a row, the first to retrieve the current day's appointments and the second to retrieve the adjoining days' appointments. This is true even though I haven't gone out of Calendar into any other phone function from before the screen went to sleep until I looked at it again.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 running Android 4.1.2.

Perhaps it is a coincidence, but ...

The problem is no longer occurring. The only change I made to my phone was turning GPS off.

Mel, Probably not a GPS issue.

What is happening is that it is generating a list of "virtual appointments" based on a recurring pattern. However, once created, DejaOffice doesn't do it again, unless the virtual table is lost. The virtual table is lost on a reboot.

Sometimes a particular recurring can cause a lot of regeneration. This is something like a daily recurring appointment "Lunch" or "Go Home" for instance. If it is in a big pattern (repeat every day forever) then it will cause a lot of regeneration.

Glad to hear it went away. The system is supposed to be "self healing" but unfortunately it's not magical.

Quote Originally Posted by DJOCTO View Post
    Mel, Probably not a GPS issue.

What is happening is that it is generating a list of "virtual appointments" based on a recurring pattern. However, once created, DejaOffice doesn't do it again, unless the virtual table is lost. The virtual table is lost on a reboot.

Sometimes a particular recurring can cause a lot of regeneration. This is something like a daily recurring appointment "Lunch" or "Go Home" for instance. If it is in a big pattern (repeat every day forever) then it will cause a lot of regeneration.

Glad to hear it went away. The system is supposed to be "self healing" but unfortunately it's not magical.
    What's the best way to deal with daily recurring appointments (ie. "Go to Gym", "Pick up Kids", etc.) to minimize regeneration and performance lag? I have many appointments of this type.
    Mobile Device: OnePlus 5
    Android Version: 8.1
    DJO Version: 4.4.14 (build 1104)
    CompanionLink Build: 8024
    Syncing with: Outlook 2010
    Sync Method: DejaCloud Sync
    Android Contacts Sync Account: DejaOffice
    Computer OS: Windows 7 (64-Bit)