Thread: Default contact access and speech recognition

Post Default contact access and speech recognition

I recently converted from a Blackberry to a Droid2 Global. I was used to being able to use my bluetooth headset to call any of my contacts. Now on my Android when I do this I bring up the Droid contacts, which are are not current. I am using DejaOffice so I can sync with my Outlook, which is my homebase for all contact and calendar details.

So my questions are - how can I make my DejaOffice contacts my primary, default contact database?

And if this is not possible how can I easily access a DejaOffice contact using my bluetooth and speech recognition?

DejaOffice Team Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nancypete View Post
    I recently converted from a Blackberry to a Droid2 Global. I was used to being able to use my bluetooth headset to call any of my contacts. Now on my Android when I do this I bring up the Droid contacts, which are are not current. I am using DejaOffice so I can sync with my Outlook, which is my homebase for all contact and calendar details.

So my questions are - how can I make my DejaOffice contacts my primary, default contact database?

And if this is not possible how can I easily access a DejaOffice contact using my bluetooth and speech recognition?
    Hello Nancy,

You can sync your DejaOffice contacts with the native Android Contacts Database. Thus putting all your DejContacts in the native android app.
    A few things you should know. If you have been using DejaOffice for while now there is a possibility of duplicates showing up. Contacts you have in Android will be put in the DjaContacts and vise versa.

To Sync DejaContacts with Android Contacts follow these steps:
    1. Open DejaOffice and tap Settings>Sync Settings.
    2. If the Sync with Android Contacts App is checked, then this feature is already turned on.
    3. You will need to select an account to Sync with.
    4. Go back to the main DejaOffice Screen and tap. Read Android Data.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have questions or concerns.

I very much appreciate your fast response. I have now learned that I can clear all the contacts on my droid (the droid contacts). If I do that, will that avoid any issues with duplicates from Deja?

My carrier is Verizon and my contacts (some version of them that makes no sense to me) are supposedly backed up on their web based Backup Assistant. Do I run the risk of somehow bringing in the back up assistant contacts to the droid contacts and then having those replace the deja contacts? I think I might be able to delete all those contacts on backup assistant as well, but am reluctant to do so until I know for sure I can sync to deja contacts.

My ultimate objective is to have all the contacts on backup assistant, on my droid, in deja, and in Outlook be the same, with my Outlook being the source of them all.

DejaOffice Team Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nancypete View Post
    I very much appreciate your fast response. I have now learned that I can clear all the contacts on my droid (the droid contacts). If I do that, will that avoid any issues with duplicates from Deja?

My carrier is Verizon and my contacts (some version of them that makes no sense to me) are supposedly backed up on their web based Backup Assistant. Do I run the risk of somehow bringing in the back up assistant contacts to the droid contacts and then having those replace the deja contacts? I think I might be able to delete all those contacts on backup assistant as well, but am reluctant to do so until I know for sure I can sync to deja contacts.

My ultimate objective is to have all the contacts on backup assistant, on my droid, in deja, and in Outlook be the same, with my Outlook being the source of them all.

Hi Nancy,

If this were me I would start at the source and work out from there.
    1. Get Outlook looking the way you want it, with all the contacts in there. It is probably a good idea to backup your Outlook Files at this point.
    2. When Outlook is ready Go,Open CompanionLink Setup on your PC Desktop and click Outlook Settings.
    3. Select the Application tab and click the Purge and Reload Contacts Check box. Click OK and Close CompanionLink
    4. Follow the steps above in post #2 in this thread. Run steps 1-4. (Don't worry about dupes the PnR will clean them up.)
    5. Sync your phone.
    The end result should be that your Outlook Contacts will overwrite DejaOffice and your Android Native Contacts.

Now You can use Backup assistant to push everything you want up to the Verizon server... That should be a one way push from the phone to the server.
    I always try to work a linear path from my main DB to the end. Does that make sense?

I finally had the chance to follow through on this. I followed your instructions from both posts exactly. Unfortunately I was not successful at updating my Droid contacts. My outlook contacts did not end up syncing to my Droid contacts and, instead, I now have double the duplicates that I had before.

A Verizon rep did share with me the following on how to clear my Droid contacts. From the Droid home screen Menu > settings > applications > manage applications > (from the top menu ) All > Contacts > clear data
    Would you recommend doing this and then resyncing my Deja contacts?