Thread: DJO does not sync with SGS built in Contacts app

DJO does not sync with SGS built in Contacts app

Hi all,

My setup:
    SGS I9000 running Froyo
    CL 4.0 build 4044 (latest)
    DJO 1.11.7 (latest)
    Outllok 2007

After struggling for hours, including losing data and sorting out duplicated entried I now have the Calendar sync working properly.
    However, it seems that DJO on my SGS does not read the contacts from the built in SGS app.

I changed the sync settings in CL to every possible settings: sync one way, sync both ways, Android primary, Conflict resolution, etc.
    I went through the DJO setup wizard 10's of times, selecting and deselecting contact sync.
    I changed DJO contacts sync settings to every possibility.
    I uninstalled and reinstalled DJO, reconfigured, etc.
    I checked that there is only one CLUSB on the SD card.
    None of the above worked.
    I forced "Read Android Data" many many times, each time the status message showed it reads the calendar but not the contacts.

During the testing my built in contacts were wiped out a number of times and I had to import them from backup.

I then created and deleted test contacts in Outook and DJO. All changes replicated OK between the two but none replicated to the built in contacts app.
    New entries in the contacts app did not appear in DJO nor Outlook. Of course I forced "Read Android Data", which did not help.

I now have all my contacts on the SGS, 0 in DJO and 0 in Outlook.

Based on my testing (many hours now) I concluded that DJO does not read from the built in contacts app.

Any suggestions?

thanks.

Y.
    Last edited by yud; 06-04-2011 at 06:21 PM.

DejaOffice Team Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yud View Post
    Hi all,

My setup:
    SGS I9000 running Froyo
    CL 4.0 build 4044 (latest)
    DJO 1.11.7 (latest)
    Outllok 2007

After struggling for hours, including losing data and sorting out duplicated entried I now have the Calendar sync working properly.
    However, it seems that DJO on my SGS does not read the contacts from the built in SGS app.

I changed the sync settings in CL to every possible settings: sync one way, sync both ways, Android primary, Conflict resolution, etc.
    I went through the DJO setup wizard 10's of times, selecting and deselecting contact sync.
    I changed DJO contacts sync settings to every possibility.
    I uninstalled and reinstalled DJO, reconfigured, etc.
    I checked that there is only one CLUSB on the SD card.
    None of the above worked.
    I forced "Read Android Data" many many times, each time the status message showed it reads the calendar but not the contacts.

During the testing my built in contacts were wiped out a number of times and I had to import them from backup.

I then created and deleted test contacts in Outook and DJO. All changes replicated OK between the two but none replicated to the built in contacts app.
    New entries in the contacts app did not appear in DJO nor Outlook. Of course I forced "Read Android Data", which did not help.

I now have all my contacts on the SGS, 0 in DJO and 0 in Outlook.

Based on my testing (many hours now) I concluded that DJO does not read from the built in contacts app.

Any suggestions?

thanks.

Y.
    Sounds like we have data only on the Adnroid DB. Lets be very careful with ow we proceed if there is any chance of permanent data loss from losing contacts in native Android.
    Two questions. When using the wizard did you select the correct account that the native contacts are associated with?
    Is Google Sync for contacts and calendar turned off on your phone?

Is there a backup of your Outlook data we can use?
    I have limited bandwidth to address this today but will be in the office Monday morning around 7am. Lets talk further then.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    Sounds like we have data only on the Adnroid DB. Lets be very careful with ow we proceed if there is any chance of permanent data loss from losing contacts in native Android.
    Two questions. When using the wizard did you select the correct account that the native contacts are associated with?
    Is Google Sync for contacts and calendar turned off on your phone?

Is there a backup of your Outlook data we can use?
    I have limited bandwidth to address this today but will be in the office Monday morning around 7am. Lets talk further then.
    Thanks for your reply.
    1. When I used the wizard I only had 2 contacts accounts to choose from: google and yahoo. (Unlike the Calendar part of the wizard, in which I also had the phone calendar). For the contacts I chose google.
    2. Google sync for contacts and calendar is turned off on the device.
    3. I have backup of Outlook contacs but it's out of date as I was away for several weeks, so the data on the phone is more current.

Happy to talk over the phone, skype or any other method. I'm in Sydney Australia. Not sure what the time difference is.

Regards,

Y.

DejaOffice Team Member
    Thanks for your reply.
    1. When I used the wizard I only had 2 contacts accounts to choose from: google and yahoo. (Unlike the Calendar part of the wizard, in which I also had the phone calendar). For the contacts I chose google.
    2. Google sync for contacts and calendar is turned off on the device.
    3. I have backup of Outlook contacs but it's out of date as I was away for several weeks, so the data on the phone is more current.

Happy to talk over the phone, skype or any other method. I'm in Sydney Australia. Not sure what the time difference is.

Regards,

Y.
    Hello Yud,

We are in Portland, OR. So Pacific USA Time Zone applies.
    Your contacts on your phone are all assigned an account. If DejaOffice is syncing Contacts with the Google account and all your contacts are from Yahoo, nothing will sync. You are probably aware of this, I just wanted to clarify.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    Hello Yud,

We are in Portland, OR. So Pacific USA Time Zone applies.
    Your contacts on your phone are all assigned an account. If DejaOffice is syncing Contacts with the Google account and all your contacts are from Yahoo, nothing will sync. You are probably aware of this, I just wanted to clarify.
    Yes, I'm aware of this.
    My Yahoo account is a mail account only and contains no contacts.
    All my contacts are in the phone's native contacts app and are not sync'ed with google.

So where do I go from here???

(in the meantime I found the DJ Calendar has deleted most - not all - of my recurring events! I'm starting to think that maybe this product is not for me)

Any suggestions for the contacts sync?

Y.

DejaOffice Team Member
    Yes, I'm aware of this.
    My Yahoo account is a mail account only and contains no contacts.
    All my contacts are in the phone's native contacts app and are not sync'ed with google.

So where do I go from here???

(in the meantime I found the DJ Calendar has deleted most - not all - of my recurring events! I'm starting to think that maybe this product is not for me)

Any suggestions for the contacts sync?

Y.
    Hello yud,

I would do the following:

Verify in Outlook the correct folder is selected for your personal info. This is very basic and may not be the issue. THe tree in the left side of Outlook sometimes gets set to the wrong personal folder if there is more than one.

If you are sure you are viewing the correct Personal Folder in Outlook try this:

1. Open CompanionLink Setup on your PC.
    2. Click Options and select Reread Android Data on Next Sync.
    3. Click on the Outlook Settings icon.
    4. Verify that Sync both ways is selected for Contacts, Calendar, Tasks and Notes.
    5. Click on Outlook Folders and verify the correct Outlook folder is selected for Contacts, Calendar, Tasks, and Notes.
    6. Click OK.
    7. Press "CTRL"+"SHIFT"+"L" (Logging enabled dialog should display on the PC.
    8. Sync your phone.

Let me know what happens. If there is a problem we can look at the log file.

(for some reason my replies are not going through! "waiting to be approved by moderator". trying now without quote)

Done the above (with the exception of calendar, tasks and notes in step 4. I only selected contacts, as a result of bad experience with calendar sync).
    No change. Contacts in Outlook is empty, same with DejaContacts.
    Somehow I feel the problem is not with Outlook because DejaContacts is also empty. I believe the problem is between DejaContacts and the native Contacts app.

Where do I find the log file? I'm running Windows XP.

Y.

DejaOffice Team Member
    (for some reason my replies are not going through! "waiting to be approved by moderator". trying now without quote)

Done the above (with the exception of calendar, tasks and notes in step 4. I only selected contacts, as a result of bad experience with calendar sync).
    No change. Contacts in Outlook is empty, same with DejaContacts.
    Somehow I feel the problem is not with Outlook because DejaContacts is also empty. I believe the problem is between DejaContacts and the native Contacts app.

Where do I find the log file? I'm running Windows XP.

Y.
    Press "CTRL"+"SHIFT"+"D"

Zip up the companionlinklog.log file

Send it to:
    support@dejaoffice.com
    Sub: = ATTN Thomas
    Body = a link to this thread.

log file sent.

DejaOffice Team Member
    log file sent.
    Thank you Yud.