Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Empty DjO DB after sync

Mar00k,

I was just wondering if your syncing under 1.12.0 beta still is going well without emptying djo.

Regards,
    Alexandra

Well, mostly I use wifi sync. It works well.

But usb sync is still broken with latest CL and DjO versions =(

Thank you for your reply.
    I just wanted to know if your test with the beta and usb sync did solve anything.
    I understand it is not.
    I will keep on syncing using Wifi, which works fine for me.

Maybe in the future usb will be an option again.

I'm relatively new to Deja Office, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but I think there are a couple of potential events for ending up with a blank data base. I think it is an Android problem,maybe a Gingerbread problem, not an DO problem, but if I am right, maybe there is a safeguard that could be built into DO.

I think the problem happens when DO tries to read it's SD card before the sd card is ready. Basically, as far as I can tell, when the phone is put into USB Storage Mode (another problem, terminology differs phone to phone), it unmounts from the sd card from the Android system and mounts to windows. This (at least for me) is what lows to sync to happen.

One problem, already mentioned in this thread, is if you improperly disconnect the USB connection from Windows before safely dismounting. However another problem can occur even if you dismount the sd card from Windows properly. When you turn off USB storage on the phone after safely dismounting, the SD card is remounted. This actually takes a few seconds and if you try to open DO while it is doing this, I think DO thinks it has no data and creates a new database.

Now, I should point out that how USB sync works on my system is different than the instructions. I would be curious if people with Gingerbread see this or if maybe it is my ROM. I don't really mind because I have figured out how it works and it is working fine.

I connect by USB but I do not turn on USB storage because if I do it closes Deja Office and I can't tap the sync button. So I connect the USB cable and the USB connection message pops up. I then back arrow to the Deja Office home screen and tap Sync. The dialog box comes up which I suspect should stay up with the ok button, but DO closes. The USB automatically switches to storage mode and connects to Windows and the sync starts up on my laptop. When it is done, I safely remove the USB connection on Windows, turn off USB storage on the phone, wait a minute for the SD card to remount and then open DO. No OK to dismiss, but the sync has been successful. If DO stayed open would I not have to worry about this waiting for the SD card to remount? I don't know.

It's okay, because it does work, no need to trouble shoot. However, I thought I would mention it in case it figures in for anyone else.

Has anyone at Deja Office seen this behavior with standard ROMs on a Nexus One?
    DejaOffice PC CRM Standalone, Windows 10 Home Version ver. 1903
    DejaOffice 4.4.21 (Android), Moto G6, stock Android 9), May 2019 security patch.*
    Samsung Galaxy Tab S, LineageOS 14.1 (Android 7.1.2), August 2019 security patch.
    DejaCloud Sync (PC and phone), USB Sync (Tablet).

*Temporary phone after my Nexus 6p died, holding out for this phone as a replacement: https://www.fxtec.com/pro1/

Hello Hook,

I have posted an entire thread about the same problem.
    I think you might be thinking in the good direction.
    But that is only a hunch since I am no computer expert.
    I am still learning by doing.

For your information:
    I always did my USB sync this way.
    Start PC/windows XP and disable all spyware/virusscanners.
    I open CompanionLink.
    Then I open on my phone DJO.
    I now connect the USB cable and set it to 'charge only' on my phone.
    I keep DJO open and press the sync button on the phone.
    During the whole process my DJO stays open and I left it open for a while after.
    But still I got an empty DJO.

If you really want to explore how I did my way of syncing: I have several detailed reports in my thread "big sync problem..."

Since a couple of weeks I do use Wifi and it still is going very smoothly and no problems.
    Since then DJO hardly has any force closes. They are now very rare.

I hope this helps you,

Lexie

Thanks, Lexie. I am more and more convinced that the problems that are cropping up with Gingerbread and DJO USB sync has to do with Gingerbread's method of mounting and unmounting the SD card. I think something changed.

My method described above seems to work perfectly and avoids the emptying (re-creation, I think) of the DO database.

It is also absolutely consistent that invoking USB storage mode closes DO and it can't be reopened until USB storage is turned off. Luckily, invoking USB sync in DO on the phone seems to automatically turn on USB storage mode and the sync starts up even with DO closed.

Thomas, if you are still paying attention to this thread, do the devs see this behavior with a Nexus One with Gingerbread? Any other Gingerbread phones.

Everything is working fine now, so I am happy, but I'm wondering if the accidental recreation of the database could be prevented with some kind of internal check by DO when it goes to read te data. Maybe a check to insure sd is properly mounted? I'm really not sure. My sd is old, so it might also be a class 2 or 4, but I bet mine isn't the only slow sd card out there.
    DejaOffice 4.4.21 (Android), Moto G6, stock Android 9), May 2019 security patch.*
    Samsung Galaxy Tab S, LineageOS 14.1 (Android 7.1.2), August 2019 security patch.

*Temporary phone after my Nexus 6p died, holding out for this phone as a replacement: https://www.fxtec.com/pro1/

just to add to your information:

I have bought a new sd-card and my old one is from januari when I bought my phone (HTC Desire HD).
    I think that the speed isn't making the difference.

The question would be did you really get an increase in speed, though again, the idea about card speed is only one of a number of guesses I'm curious about, not something I know is relevant.

Age doesn't slow down a card (and January isn't that long ago). Speed is determined by primarily by the class of the card. The higher the class number the greater the speed. So, do you know if you bought a faster card? I don't know the class number for my card so I don't know if it is slow or not. I'm just guessing that it is because 3 years ago anything higher than a class 4 in microSD started getting very expensive and mine wasn't.

Hello Hook,

Sorry it took so long for me to reply, but I was enjoying the seaside (Vacation).
    The SD card I use is this:
    Sandisk 8 GB micro SD HC class 4, came with the phone.
    And I bought a new one to be sure that this wasn't the problem: Kingston 8 GB micro SD HC class 4.

I had the problems with both SD-cards.

I hope this helps...
    HTC Desire HD, Android 2.3.5., CL Pro 5 (build 5074), DJO 2.5.5 Palmdesktop V 4.1.4, Windows XP Pro SP3,
    Synchronising Wifi, Synchronising calendar, contacts, tasks and memos.
    Only synchronised DJO contacts with native contacts once with 'read android data'.

Nexus 7, Android 4.3, not yet installed DJO