+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DJO synching with 2 PCs: possible?

DJO synching with 2 PCs: possible?

Hi,

I'm using DJO 1.11.7 with a paid and registered version of CL 4044.
    Is it possible to synch DJO with two PCs (one at home and one at work; both Windows XP SP3 and Office 2003) without having lost or duplicate entries?

Regards
    Arno

Basically yes. I have this setup. Work PC is Master, syncing to Android and Android syncs to Home PC which is Slave.
    However, I am still having issues and are still trying to figure out the causes.
    Please post your results as I will too. It might be very helpful.

DejaOffice Team Member
    Quote Originally Posted by McLion View Post
    Basically yes. I have this setup. Work PC is Master, syncing to Android and Android syncs to Home PC which is Slave.
    However, I am still having issues and are still trying to figure out the causes.
    Please post your results as I will too. It might be very helpful.
    The best advice I can offer are two things.
    Always use the same sync method on both computers (Think Ghost Busters - Don't Cross the Streams!)
    Only Sync both ways with one PC.

I have found that using my office PC as the 'Master' works best. Also have been able to do two way syncs to both computers with Notes & tasks w/o issues. Trying two way with Contacts & Calendar caused many unwanted duplications and deletions.
    Running XP Pro on Office & Windows 7 Pro x64 at home.

I had also tried copying my office Outlook files to my home PC and syncing to that. Not recommended!!

I don't understand this. If your work PC is the "Master," and the home PC the "Slave," what happens when you create a new record or modify a pre-existing one in the slave? Will a subsequent sync with the master wipe them out?

Also, Thomas, I am confused by your explanation. When you say "use the same sync method on both computers," are you referring to the direction of the syncs, or to the actual transmission of data (USB vs. wi-fi)?

My issue is: I need to sync my Atrix with both PCs, home and work. All 3 devices (Outlook on home PC, Outlook on work PC and Atrix) should be in sync. All 3 devices are liable to generating new data (i.e. I do a lot of work on my work Outlook, but I may add new records later on at home Outlook, and there's always the possibility that I may add or delete something on the Atrix while "in transit.")

It looks like the "Applications" window in the "Outlook Settings" section of CompanionLink is the crucial battlefield. What should be the "Included Applications," "Primary Database" and "Conflicts" settings for this entire menage-a-trois nightmare to work?

God, I miss my old Palm TX / Chapura KeySuite combo...

DejaOffice Team Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMP View Post
    I don't understand this. If your work PC is the "Master," and the home PC the "Slave," what happens when you create a new record or modify a pre-existing one in the slave? Will a subsequent sync with the master wipe them out?

Also, Thomas, I am confused by your explanation. When you say "use the same sync method on both computers," are you referring to the direction of the syncs, or to the actual transmission of data (USB vs. wi-fi)?

My issue is: I need to sync my Atrix with both PCs, home and work. All 3 devices (Outlook on home PC, Outlook on work PC and Atrix) should be in sync. All 3 devices are liable to generating new data (i.e. I do a lot of work on my work Outlook, but I may add new records later on at home Outlook, and there's always the possibility that I may add or delete something on the Atrix while "in transit.")

It looks like the "Applications" window in the "Outlook Settings" section of CompanionLink is the crucial battlefield. What should be the "Included Applications," "Primary Database" and "Conflicts" settings for this entire menage-a-trois nightmare to work?

God, I miss my old Palm TX / Chapura KeySuite combo...
    MMP,

I was referring to Data transmission method, USB WiFi, Secure Hosted.

If you have all three devices generating data and doing a two way sync with two computers, I honestly do not recommend this. If you have to do it that way, I highly suggest you take the time to backup you PC data daily on both, and expect to use when things get messy. We are just not there yet and do not claim to be.

Thomas,

Is it really true that one cannot sync to 2 PCs and a phone such that all can update? If so, are there plans to provide that ability? Would the pro version help? What kinds of problems are caused by attempting?

I've been finding that appointments will reflect changed subjects, but their priorities won't change. Similarly, some contacts had to be deleted/edited on both PCs before they stopped "coming back." Also, I may be having some category trouble (not transfering from one PC to the other through the Phone.)

Can you expand on what the problems are and any workarounds?

thanks very much.

rbw

DejaOffice Team Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardW View Post
    Thomas,

Is it really true that one cannot sync to 2 PCs and a phone such that all can update? If so, are there plans to provide that ability? Would the pro version help? What kinds of problems are caused by attempting?

I've been finding that appointments will reflect changed subjects, but their priorities won't change. Similarly, some contacts had to be deleted/edited on both PCs before they stopped "coming back." Also, I may be having some category trouble (not transfering from one PC to the other through the Phone.)

Can you expand on what the problems are and any workarounds?

thanks very much.

rbw

Hi Richard,

The only limitation I am aware of is that doing a two way sync with 2 PC can be problematic. I usually advise users to pick one PC that is their primary, and Sync both ways with that PC only. Then set up the second PC as Device to PC only. Also keep the build # of CompanionLink matching as well.

The Category Problems would make sense if you are creating and editing categories on two PC's and expecting the device to manage that in the middle. I always advise people to keep the flow of information in one direction between the PC's.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    Hi Richard,

The only limitation I am aware of is that doing a two way sync with 2 PC can be problematic. I usually advise users to pick one PC that is their primary, and Sync both ways with that PC only. Then set up the second PC as Device to PC only. Also keep the build # of CompanionLink matching as well.

The Category Problems would make sense if you are creating and editing categories on two PC's and expecting the device to manage that in the middle. I always advise people to keep the flow of information in one direction between the PC's.

Hope this helps.
    Thomas,

Thanks for getting back to me.
    1. I understand that "doing a two way sync with 2 PC can be problematic."
    2. I understand you advise people to keep info flowing in one direction.
    3. I am making sure that the build #s match.

However I don't want to work that way. I've been using "two way sync with 2 PCs" for about a month on my Droid 3, and before that for a very long time on a succession of Palms and latterly a Blackberry which finally had button failure. To me, the whole point of a PDA/Smartphone is to synch up work laptop, home desktop and device so that all parts of the schedule are integrated. Since I quite often work from home and have to integrate my personal and work activities and travel, how would it be possible to manage and plan all this if I made one of the PCs a "slave?"

So, again, I wonder if you do know if Deja Office and CL will ever support 2 way sync w/ 2 PCs?

You say 2 way sync with 2 PCs is problematic. How, typically? What kinds of things, other than missing categories, go wrong?

Can you tell me the most important problems associated with 2 way sync w/ 2 PCs?

I ask because I'm probably going to keep doing 2 way syncing to my 2 PCs unless I have to abandon DejaOffice altogether and surrender to Google synching. I would prefer to know what else might go wrong before it goes wrong.

Finally, will the pro version help with reducing the problems?

By the way, my priority problem is with tasks, not calendar events. Sorry, my bad.

Thanks again for your reply and the support.

best regards

rbw

DejaOffice Team Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardW View Post
    Thomas,

Thanks for getting back to me.
    1. I understand that "doing a two way sync with 2 PC can be problematic."
    2. I understand you advise people to keep info flowing in one direction.
    3. I am making sure that the build #s match.

However I don't want to work that way. I've been using "two way sync with 2 PCs" for about a month on my Droid 3, and before that for a very long time on a succession of Palms and latterly a Blackberry which finally had button failure. To me, the whole point of a PDA/Smartphone is to synch up work laptop, home desktop and device so that all parts of the schedule are integrated. Since I quite often work from home and have to integrate my personal and work activities and travel, how would it be possible to manage and plan all this if I made one of the PCs a "slave?"

So, again, I wonder if you do know if Deja Office and CL will ever support 2 way sync w/ 2 PCs?

You say 2 way sync with 2 PCs is problematic. How, typically? What kinds of things, other than missing categories, go wrong?

Can you tell me the most important problems associated with 2 way sync w/ 2 PCs?

I ask because I'm probably going to keep doing 2 way syncing to my 2 PCs unless I have to abandon DejaOffice altogether and surrender to Google synching. I would prefer to know what else might go wrong before it goes wrong.

Finally, will the pro version help with reducing the problems?

By the way, my priority problem is with tasks, not calendar events. Sorry, my bad.

Thanks again for your reply and the support.

best regards

rbw
    RBW,

If we could tell you exactly what was going to go wrong, we could fix it.
    If Pro had the ability to help we would promote it that way.
    Some users have problems with data integrity, and most don't.
    The issues reported have been unique and intermittent.
    Duplicate data, very long syncs, stuff like that.

If you do it, Backup your PC Data on a regular basis.

+ Reply to Thread