+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CL error: Companionlink MFC Application has stopped working

CL error: Companionlink MFC Application has stopped working

(full disclosure: I've sent in a tech support request on this issue, but I thought I'd mine the forum while I wait ...)

I'm moving from a Windows XP system to a 64-bit Windows 7 system. I installed Palm Desktop 4.1 on the new system, and it seems to work fine.

I then installed CompanionLink. When it asks for a sync type, I tell it "Android Wi-Fi". So far so good. Then when it asks for a contact manager, I tell it "Palm Desktop v4", and I get a Windows error message that says this:

"Companionlink MFC Application has stopped working"

Windows then closes CL. Note that it doesn't matter what sync type I tell it - they all fail the same way. As for changing contact managers to test that piece of it, I don't have any of the others installed so I can't do that particular test.

Is anyone out there successfully running a setup like mine (64-bit Windows 7, Palm Desktop v4, CompanionLink)? Has anyone tried and seen the same error message?
    Rob Freundlich

Samsung Galaxy Note 2/Android 4.1.2/Kernel Version 3.0.31-1098177
    DJO Version 2.5.4 (500)
    CL Version 5070
    Palm Desktop Version 4.1/Windows 7 64-bit
    Local WiFi Sync

A bit more information from some experiments this morning. If I set Palm Desktop and CL to run in XP Compatibility mode, things seem to work OK. Anyone else seeing that?
    Rob Freundlich

Samsung Galaxy Note 2/Android 4.1.2/Kernel Version 3.0.31-1098177
    DJO Version 2.5.4 (500)
    CL Version 5070
    Palm Desktop Version 4.1/Windows 7 64-bit
    Local WiFi Sync

As far as I know, Palm Desktop 4.x is not very happy with Vista and Win7. I would guess that is at the root of your problem (but it is only a guess-- I still use XP and don't use Palm Desktop).
    Sadly, I can no longer use CL or DJO as I have replaced Outlook with Thunderbird and Pimlical Desktop. Pimlical, since moving to Java 8 is no longer compatible with Companion Link. I will lurk about just because I am interested. Please let me know if the Pimlical compatibility problem ever changes and thanks to all here for your support and help over the years. This is the best software for synching Outlook to Android.

+ Reply to Thread