Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: CL5 doesn't close file 'companionlink.db-shm' ?

DejaOffice Team Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ProTel-BS View Post
    Thomas,

I think this is wrong!

In the past I waited (yes really!) unplugging USB until I clicked all 'OK's on the device. After clicking 'OK' on the device I waited until Android sync finished and then clicked 'OK' in CL. At this point I unplugged USB. This led to missing and not closed file companionlink.db-shm!

Now in this short test I clicked 'OK' in CL and then did all the other things. This led to correct companionlink.db-xxx files in clusb directory!

Device-OK --> (second Device-OK, which now closes automatically) --> CL-OK --> unplugging USB --> companionlink.db-shm not closed error and lost files in LOST.DIR
    CL-OK --> Device-OK --> waiting until Android sync is ready and second OK closes --> unplugging USB --> companionlink.db-shm present and closed (no error when exiting CL)

So, what is the reason and am I right?

Arno
    Arno,

I am bit confused why you downloaded a beta build that was only intended for Kindle Fire Users?
    Please uninstall and install DejaOffice 1.12.5.

Thomas,

this perhaps was not the first time where release notes and "real" changes do not really match.

So due to an annoying problem I'm trying to solve this even with making some experiences with new or beta versions.
    Only an accusation that I'm using the 'wrong' version doesn't help me.
    What's about CL 5008?

It is really a pity that you don't spend one word about this problem: am I making something wrong, is the order of clicking and plugging/unplugging USB the right one?

Arno
    (old, not longer used: Samsung Galaxy S2 (GT-i9100) with Android 4.1.2 (German language))
    Doogee Dagger DG550 with Android 4.4.2 (German language)
    CL 7 build 7022
    DJO for Android 4.1.6 (924)
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit
    Outlook 2010 32bit, SP2
    Sync: ADB Mode (DejaConnect USB)
    Sync only with one single PC

Thomas,

today (CL 5010 and DJO 1.12.7) I did a USB sync. I finished sync by hitting OK on the device (and later in CL on the PC). The device synced with native Android (only contacts) and went back to HTC home screen. Then I unplugged USB. So everything seemed to be ok.

Later then (device was not connected to the PC) I checked directory LOST.DIR (with Adao File Manager). There I found a file named with a 5-digit-number and about 990KB large with timestamp (last modification) 12-31-2079 23:00. With the file manager I deleted this file and suddenly CL started a Sync! (only sync to native Android contacts, because there was no connection to the PC).

This again seems to have something to do with a not correctly closed file on the SD card which then produces a sudden sync process when being deleted.

Here I fear losing or corrupting data so it would be important to see where this comes from.
    Even if I will not delete this file I assume that this behaviour is not as expected.
    In addition I assume, most DJO/CL users don't see this because they have no file manager to look into Android's file system.

Again I ask you to check and fix this, thank you.

Regards
    Arno
    (old, not longer used: Samsung Galaxy S2 (GT-i9100) with Android 4.1.2 (German language))
    CL 7 build 7022
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit
    Outlook 2010 32bit, SP2

Arno and others - Some commentary that should shed some light on these topics:

Regarding the .shm files: These are created by Android's SQLite database engine. Basically, they're are used as an index for SQLite's write-ahead log, which is an integral part of how the engine commits changes to the datbase. CompanionLink/DejaOffice doesn't create or manage them; they're handled entirely by SQLite and by the operating system.

In short, the .shm files are normal and they're supposed to be there.

Regarding LOST.DIR: Hook's explanation is correct. It's special directory that Android's file system check utility uses to store corrupted or orphaned files.

One case I can see that you might get a lot of these in conjunction with DejaOffice is if you typically have SD card files open (for example, a picture or a document that's resident on the card) when you perform a USB sync. Since CompanionLink unmounts the card as part of the sync process, you should make sure to close out any other files on the card before you start the sync.

Incidentally, the odd file modified times for files in this directory seem to be normal. Some phones set them way into the past (e.g. 1980), and others way into the future. It probably does that for some sort of indexing purposes.

Hi Ben,

you say the -shm file isn't managed by CL.
    As I told yesterday, I finished a USB sync and unplugged USB. Today - just as a test - I closed CL and got the following error in Windows' event log:
    CL error when closing.JPG
    So this file at least must be used by CL.

Concerning the files in LOST.DIR: I don't have any files or programs open when syncing. I don't think that these files belong to any other program or document but DJO. If not: why does DJO suddenly starts a sync when deleting this file? Obviously DJO and/or SQLite has this file opened and deleting this file triggers the sync.

Isn't it possible that during USB sync DJO or CL unmounts the SD Card even though the -shm file is used by SQLite and/or CL? This would lead to the orphan files.

All these problems started after upgrading from Froyo 2.2 to Gingerbread 2.3.3 on the device and parallel updating CL from 40xx to 50xx and DJO from 1.11.x to 1.12.x. So these components don't work together smoothly. I wonder if anyone else has this problem too on a HTC Desire with Android 2.3.3?

Regards
    Arno
    CL 7 build 7022
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit
    Outlook 2010 32bit, SP2

Hi all,

I'm trying to ask if there are any news about this?
    I'm running into this problem nearly every day and would be glad to understand what's going wrong there and find a way to avoid this error.

Kind regards
    Arno
    CL 7 build 7022
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit
    Outlook 2010 32bit, SP2

DejaOffice Team Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ProTel-BS View Post
    Hi all,

I'm trying to ask if there are any news about this?
    I'm running into this problem nearly every day and would be glad to understand what's going wrong there and find a way to avoid this error.

Kind regards
    Arno
    Hi Arno,

I discussed this with Ben earlier this week. He was planning on responding and is not in the office today. I will touch base with him on Tuesday and we will give you an update.
    Until then - Happy New Year.

Hi Thomas,

thank you for your response.
    Of course I also wish you and all the team a happy new year.

Arno

B.t.w. my yesterday's post in thread 1788-Alarm-time-when-using-an-all-day-calendar-event seems to be lost or stuck in your anti-spam queue...
    CL 7 build 7022
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit
    Outlook 2010 32bit, SP2

I had problems with floppy drive always active this occurred after starting logging on Companionlink. Also the problem with "companionlink.db-shm" not closing. I think I may have cured both these problems by switching off logging. Open Companionlink Setup on your computer and then press CTRL + Shift + U this will bring up a dialogue box asking if you want to stop logging select "OK".

Early days but it seems to work for me so far!

Hi Cecil,

the always active floppy during logging in CL I already mentioned in another thread. So I disabled logging in CL a long time ago.
    Nevertheless the problem with "companionlink.db-shm" not closing persists at least for me, sorry.

Regards
    Arno
    CL 7 build 7022
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit
    Outlook 2010 32bit, SP2