Thread: Launch icons and calendar filters: New Feature/Patch requests...

Launch icons and calendar filters: New Feature/Patch requests...

Hello, just registered after buying first iPhone (4S) and upgrading CompanionLink to be able to sync Outlook 2010 on my Windows 7 PC.

So far, the sync seems to be working and I appreciate all the features of DejaOffice (DO)as compared to the native apps. However, a few items I'd like to mention as possible changes or patches in the future:

1. At first, I resisted using DO and tried several methods of syncing Outlook and iCloud or via iTunes. Trying to get iCloud to work was a real pain and iTunes was O.K., but not as many features as DO. My initial resistance was due to the extra tap necessary to open DO vs. the native apps. Therefore, please consider allowing each app and icon within DO (calendar and contacts, especially) to be installed on the main launch pages of the iPhone app screens and/or the launch bar at the bottom.

2. Next, I would like to be able to filter more than one category in my Calendar. For example, I make client appointments with two different sorts of clients, using two different colors etc. I also have unrelated items/events of less importance on my calendar. I would like to filter just the two client appointments as a default or most frequent view.

Thanks for considering these requests and, if these features already exist, I apologize and am eager to be told "get a clue, ya rookie!"

DejaOffice Team Member
    Quote Originally Posted by emjayeess View Post
    Hello, just registered after buying first iPhone (4S) and upgrading CompanionLink to be able to sync Outlook 2010 on my Windows 7 PC.

So far, the sync seems to be working and I appreciate all the features of DejaOffice (DO)as compared to the native apps. However, a few items I'd like to mention as possible changes or patches in the future:

1. At first, I resisted using DO and tried several methods of syncing Outlook and iCloud or via iTunes. Trying to get iCloud to work was a real pain and iTunes was O.K., but not as many features as DO. My initial resistance was due to the extra tap necessary to open DO vs. the native apps. Therefore, please consider allowing each app and icon within DO (calendar and contacts, especially) to be installed on the main launch pages of the iPhone app screens and/or the launch bar at the bottom.

2. Next, I would like to be able to filter more than one category in my Calendar. For example, I make client appointments with two different sorts of clients, using two different colors etc. I also have unrelated items/events of less importance on my calendar. I would like to filter just the two client appointments as a default or most frequent view.

Thanks for considering these requests and, if these features already exist, I apologize and am eager to be told "get a clue, ya rookie!"
    Hello emjayees,

Thanks for posting and welcome to DejaOffice.

1. I completely understand about being resistant to having the Tap DejaOffice and then select form a menu of icons. It is an extra step. One we looked at long and carefully when designing DejaOffice.
    However, due to the design of iOS it is absolutely necessary. If DejaOffice icons were not inside a master app, they would not be able to share application data. DejaCalendar and DejaContacts could not share the same data.

2. I have noted your request to be able to filter more than one category. I will include it the next time our dev team is consider Calendar Features.

Thanks

Thanks, Thomas, for your quick reply.

Your explanation for why the DJO icons are inside the main icon makes sense. In the meantime, I discovered that whichever app I last used is launched when I tap the main DJO icon on my launcher bar, so that's nice; I'm usually using the Calendar, so that will simply launch the majority of the time, making DJO do what I was suggesting much of the time, anyway!

Thanks for considering the filter change!

And sorry for asking these things in two posts--I kinda forgot about this thread as it was my first and needed to be moderated.
    iPhone 4S iOS 5
    DejaOffice 1.2.8
    CompanionLink build #5004
    Outlook 2010 on Windows 7
    Local Wi-Fi Sync

"No matter how cynical you get, it's impossible to keep up."--Lily Tomlin

DejaOffice Team Member
    Thanks, Thomas, for your quick reply.

Your explanation for why the DJO icons are inside the main icon makes sense. In the meantime, I discovered that whichever app I last used is launched when I tap the main DJO icon on my launcher bar, so that's nice; I'm usually using the Calendar, so that will simply launch the majority of the time, making DJO do what I was suggesting much of the time, anyway!

Thanks for considering the filter change!

And sorry for asking these things in two posts--I kinda forgot about this thread as it was my first and needed to be moderated.
    Emjayeess:
    No worries, we have pretty rigid spam controls to keep the forums clean. Sometimes posts get flagged as moderated that are clean.
    If it shows up that just means you know I have seen it.

By the way, one more request: this concerns CompanionLink for Outlook--I understand y'all are the same developers, yes? I would really like to sync subfolders of my Contacts in Outlook. I know I can do that by checking "subfolders" in the "Advanced Settings" of CL, but I don't want to sync all of my subfolders, just a few, so that would be a cool feature.
    iPhone 4S iOS 5
    DejaOffice 1.2.8
    Local Wi-Fi Sync

DejaOffice Team Member
    By the way, one more request: this concerns CompanionLink for Outlook--I understand y'all are the same developers, yes? I would really like to sync subfolders of my Contacts in Outlook. I know I can do that by checking "subfolders" in the "Advanced Settings" of CL, but I don't want to sync all of my subfolders, just a few, so that would be a cool feature.
    Hello emjayeess,

This feature is supported in CompanionLink Professional. If you have specific questions about that let me know.

Thanks, but the Pro version seems like overkill for me--I have only one database/one PC and one device. Plus, I think I should try using categories for the contacts on the iPhone. It will likely take a lot longer to set up than from the PC, though, so, if possible, it'd be great if you added check boxes to the subfolders feature that is already a part of CL for Outlook so that only a few could be synced etc.

A couple of other questions, though, if you don't mind:

1. I noticed that both the native iPhone Contacts app and the DJO Contacts app do not sync the photos for my contacts. Is this going to be part of future updates?

2. An almost must-have feature for me is the ability to quickly copy events/appointments in Calendar (right now, I have to click "edit" and copy the subject text, then cancel out of the original and create a new appointment and paste--too time consuming and it doesn't copy day and time etc.). I make new appointments each day with clients for the following week etc., but they cannot be repeat or recurrence type appointments. Is this possible? If not, please consider that for an update, as well--this was one of my favorite "Homebrew" tweaks in webOS.

Thanks!

EDIT: Oh my, I just realized something: does using CL and DJO cancel the ability of Siri to utilize Calendar and Contacts?!

Edit #2: O.K., I went into settings and told DJO to sync with Apple Calendar and Contacts: however, it's only syncing Contacts, not Calendar. What gives? What about Memos/Notes and Tasks/Reminders? Does CL Pro do all this?

Edit #3: After downloading the new version--1.2.9, the native iPhone Calendar is still not syncing with DJO. Is this going to be coming with the next version? I really need this functionality, thanks.
    Last edited by emjayeess; 12-08-2011 at 12:13 PM.
    iPhone 4S iOS 5
    DejaOffice 1.2.8
    Local Wi-Fi Sync