+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DejaOffice 2.1.3 beta - new USB sync - DejaConnect USB

DejaOffice 2.1.3 beta - new USB sync - DejaConnect USB

DejaOffice 2.1.x beta includes a new USB sync method called DejaConnect USB (known before as "Debugging mode"). This method uses our WiFi sync protocol over USB, which basically gives you the best of both worlds:

* The security and connection stability of syncing over USB.
    * The integrity of WiFi sync, in that all DJO database transactions are handled by the operating system on the device, and DejaOffice no longer needs to mount/unmount the SD card as part of the sync process.

You are all more than welcome to try it out. We've posted a full setup guide here - http://www.companionlink.com/support...ejaConnect_USB

Here are the quick setup instructions:

1. Install DejaOffice 2.1.x beta on your Android device:

http://www.dejaoffice.com/androidapp/

2. In DejaOffice on your Android, turn on DejaConnect USB (Settings -> Sync Settings -> Sync Type).

3. Install the CompanionLink DejaConnect USB build on your PC: CompanionLink DejaConnect USB build (Updated 02/20/2012)

4. On your PC, configure CompanionLink to DejaConnect USB as your sync method (open CompanionLink Setup and change your sync method to DejaConnect USB).

5. At this point, follow the remaining instructions that display in the pop-up wizard in CompanionLink, as you'll need to install the Android debug driver on your PC and enable USB Debugging on your device. (not too difficult -- I promise).

Download ADB drivers

How to Enable USB Debugging

DejaOffice 2.1.3 and the CompanionLink build above have both been recently updated with more DejaConnect improvements:

Full 2.1.1, 2.1.2, 2.1.3 changelogs can be found here: http://www.dejaoffice.com/androidapp/notes.html

One more thing -- right now the old USB sync mode is called "Mass storage mode" and the new USB sync mode is called "Debugging mode".

I don't like either of these names, because I think they're too technical sounding and don't mean much to the average user. Any suggestions as to alternative, more user-friendly names is appreciated.

No option for debugging mode?

Hi Ben,

I was interested in your post, but when I used the provided link to download and install the debugging version of CL, there is no option to choose Direct USB (Debugging mode - beta)) as a sync method, only direct USB.

Am I missing something?

Alan

Alan - It looks like when I made the last build I forgot to tell the installer to include the debugging option for all versions. Sorry about that.

It should be fixed now. I've updated the link in the original post, so that you can go ahead and re-download and give it a try.

Thanks for the quick response. The new download worked. The first sync took a long time (10-15 minutes), and all the contacts on my phone were duplicated. In CL options, I chose to Wipe Contacts on Android Before Sync and that seemed to take care of it. Syncing again went pretty quickly, perhaps a minute or two. Thanks, it seems to sync faster doing it this way.

Hi, Ben. Trying his out and so far is very nice and may lose you folks $10/month if I like it too much. It seems to solve the problems that chased me away from USB sync before, which is the quirkiness of the Android mounting process, especially with Gingerbread. When you have it all set up, it runs very smoothly. I do have to occasionally do it twice because it fails to find a connection on the first try. Don't know why.

I do have to say that, for some folks, the set-up will seem daunting. It isn't really,but you do have to jump through some very poorly documented hoops. I had done it before on another computer because that's how I tool screen shots before rooting, so it was easy for me. Since most of that hoop jumping is simply to get the right USB driver, is there any way Companion Link could optimize this for their users-- i.e. a windows installer that asks the user what Android they have and installs the correct USB driver?

The only other thing I noticed is that, after a sync, my digitizer goes a bit loopy. The Nexus One digitizer was imperfect to begin with, but I have no idea why this aggravates it. I have no doubt it is a Nexus One thing and probably not your problem. A reboot (simply on a rooted phone) takes care of it.

I'll play around with this a few days and then decide whether to stay with it or go back to Secure Wireless, which is really divine, if more expensive.

Thanksfor all the work you folks have been doing with this Syncing stuff. Nice work.
    Sadly, I can no longer use CL or DJO as I have replaced Outlook with Thunderbird and Pimlical Desktop. Pimlical, since moving to Java 8 is no longer compatible with Companion Link. I will lurk about just because I am interested. Please let me know if the Pimlical compatibility problem ever changes and thanks to all here for your support and help over the years. This is the best software for synching Outlook to Android.

Hi Ben,

tested and for me too the connection isn't found the first time, have to do it a second time.

Nevertheless I can't use USB Debugging mode sync, because sync time is too long. I tried with and without "Purge and reload" (which is now "wipe all records before sync") and syncing starts but my estimated sync time (during stage "reading Outlook contacts and calendar") is more than one hour. During this stage of sync the connection to the device has been lost and/or CL crashed, so syncing didn't finish correctly.
    I have to sync about 180 contacts and about 9800 calendar entries (set past range to 30000 days because I want to sync all my calendar data).

With USB (mass storage) syncing runs well as before even with this amount of data and with these settings. But there I always have the problem with the not closed file 'clusb\companionlink.db-shm' and orphan files on the device in directory LOST.DIR as mentioned in another thread.

So this version
    1. is either beta and therefore is so slow and I have to wait for a new version
    2. or "USB debugging mode" is useless for this amount of data?

Kind regards
    Arno
    (old, not longer used: Samsung Galaxy S2 (GT-i9100) with Android 4.1.2 (German language))
    Doogee Dagger DG550 with Android 4.4.2 (German language)
    CL 7 build 7022
    DJO for Android 4.1.6 (924)
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit
    Outlook 2010 32bit, SP2
    Sync: ADB Mode (DejaConnect USB)
    Sync only with one single PC

Hi,

I posted to this thread in the morning, but my post didn't display: dear operator, please unfreeze my post...

Regards
    Arno
    (old, not longer used: Samsung Galaxy S2 (GT-i9100) with Android 4.1.2 (German language))
    Doogee Dagger DG550 with Android 4.4.2 (German language)
    CL 7 build 7022
    DJO for Android 4.1.6 (924)
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit
    Outlook 2010 32bit, SP2
    Sync: ADB Mode (DejaConnect USB)
    Sync only with one single PC

Wow, I'm loving this. Works very smoothly. Just connect, no picking mode, and sync. After the first couple of times, i haven't seen the having to try twice (which I took to be a mistiming of the handshaking between the handheld and the PC) nor the crazed digitizer stuff (who knows what that was, the Nexus One has always had a slightly dodgy digitizer). If it stays this smooth, I'm definitely staying with this sync method.
    Sadly, I can no longer use CL or DJO as I have replaced Outlook with Thunderbird and Pimlical Desktop. Pimlical, since moving to Java 8 is no longer compatible with Companion Link. I will lurk about just because I am interested. Please let me know if the Pimlical compatibility problem ever changes and thanks to all here for your support and help over the years. This is the best software for synching Outlook to Android.

Sometimes I have to start the sync three or four times to finally get it to work. It will give me an error message, telling me that it is unable to connect to my phone and that I need to check the IP address in CompanionLink.

+ Reply to Thread