Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: DejaOffice 2.1.3 beta - new USB sync - DejaConnect USB

DejaOffice Team Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chrskm View Post
    Flakey! On first synch it deleted all 368 contact records from my Outlook, so I switched back to wireless sync and it synched them all back into Outlook. Since then, switching back to DejaConnect USB, I can't get it to run twice in row without intervention. I keep getting an error about a missing ADB device. It does work, I just have to plug, unplug, close the app, reopen and it goes... Far from ideal, which sucks because I've been waiting for a simple one-step sync.
    Chrskm,

Thanks for posting your experience. We would like to try and help. Please read my Signature and update yours or include the requested info in the next post so we can suggest some ways to fix your problems.
    I would suggest doing a Purge n Reload (Wipe all Records on Android Device) the first time you sync via DejaConnect USB.
    Also please include the exact Android Device driver you downloaded and installed on your PC.

Older business owner needing help

I am a 50 yr old business owner. I have a small chemical consulting company for a wide variety of industries. I have more than 800 contacts, and in many of these contacts is engineering info which I refer to often when out and about in industry. I am in the field a lot. Having this info on my person is a huge tool to my business. I presently use Blackberry for my phone service and have for many years. I have been ready for a change for the last year, but given the info in my Outlook is paramount to my business, I don't want, and can't tolerate a disruption to my access to this info. Making a change is a very big deal.

I have spent the last year, or more, asking lots of questions about the various phones and their success in sync'ing to Outlook. As the last 12-18 months have passed, reports of sync'ing Outlook with most phone brands has improved. I am strongly leaning to the HTC Android. When I change from Blackberry to HTC, I need to be absolutely certain that when I return home with my new purchase, I will have my new HTC phone downloaded with all my contacts and info by the next morning, and successfully sync'ing with my laptop on a weekly basis. Any comments or suggestions to address this concern?

Blackberry has done a great job for me, but I am ready for a better phone. I have designed some fairly sophisticated Excel files which I use in the field, but would like to use on my phone, rather than drap my laptop around a plant. Using these large and sophisticated files on a Blackberry is not wise. They are hard to read on such a small screen, and hence easy to corrupt. Something I can't afford. However, having access to these files while in the field walking around large plants would be wonderful. What I have learned about the HTC, I think it will better serve this purpose, as well as other issues directing me to the HTC. I am ready for a change and HTC seems to be the choice. Any suggestions?

In addition, I need to sync my new phone "tethered", which is how I ended up here. I have too much info in Outlook which I don't want surfacing some day somewhere else. It would compromise my business and my clients. I will not even entertain Blue-Tooth syncronization. It has to be a tethered syncronization. You don't spend a decade building a company then risk loosing it all because some kid with a laptop in his bicycle basket riding through the neighborhood stumbled upon your info and posted it out on the web. I have witnessed kids doing this very thing in front of my house. And for those of you who are too young to realize it, there is such a thing called "industrial sabotage". I have personally witnessed such activity more than a dozen times. I don't need to make it easy for my competition to sabotage my business. Syncronizing my info has to be secure (tethered). This is why I am here on the DJO website posting this.

In my quest to do this right, I have been surveying people's opinions, shopping phone stores, and cornering IT people in my clients' offices. Recently, I was shown this website. BINGO! It seems DJO offers the solution for which I have been looking. I read all the posts. I am getting acquainted with the jargon, but not there yet. Also, I have been warned that DJO may work well with some phone generations, but will struggle with newer phones. Considering I will be buying a brand new HTC One X (newest HTC generation), which is just hitting the market, this is a real concern. Any feed back on this issue?

If anyone can address any of these concerns, please do. I am eager to hear your experience. Younger people know more about these things. The younger the better.

Many thanks and God bless ya'll,
    wcsman

DejaOffice Team Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chrskm View Post
    Flakey! On first synch it deleted all 368 contact records from my Outlook, so I switched back to wireless sync and it synched them all back into Outlook. Since then, switching back to DejaConnect USB, I can't get it to run twice in row without intervention. I keep getting an error about a missing ADB device. It does work, I just have to plug, unplug, close the app, reopen and it goes... Far from ideal, which sucks because I've been waiting for a simple one-step sync.
    chrskm,

Please include the information I have requested in my signature file. For DejaConnect issues. submit an email to support@companionlink.com
    Include a link to this thread and mention that you were instructed to work with Michael on this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by wcsman View Post
    I am a 50 yr old business owner. I have a small chemical consulting company for a wide variety of industries. I have more than 800 contacts, and in many of these contacts is engineering info which I refer to often when out and about in industry. I am in the field a lot. Having this info on my person is a huge tool to my business. I presently use Blackberry for my phone service and have for many years. I have been ready for a change for the last year, but given the info in my Outlook is paramount to my business, I don't want, and can't tolerate a disruption to my access to this info. Making a change is a very big deal.

I have spent the last year, or more, asking lots of questions about the various phones and their success in sync'ing to Outlook. As the last 12-18 months have passed, reports of sync'ing Outlook with most phone brands has improved. I am strongly leaning to the HTC Android. When I change from Blackberry to HTC, I need to be absolutely certain that when I return home with my new purchase, I will have my new HTC phone downloaded with all my contacts and info by the next morning, and successfully sync'ing with my laptop on a weekly basis. Any comments or suggestions to address this concern?

Blackberry has done a great job for me, but I am ready for a better phone. I have designed some fairly sophisticated Excel files which I use in the field, but would like to use on my phone, rather than drap my laptop around a plant. Using these large and sophisticated files on a Blackberry is not wise. They are hard to read on such a small screen, and hence easy to corrupt. Something I can't afford. However, having access to these files while in the field walking around large plants would be wonderful. What I have learned about the HTC, I think it will better serve this purpose, as well as other issues directing me to the HTC. I am ready for a change and HTC seems to be the choice. Any suggestions?

In addition, I need to sync my new phone "tethered", which is how I ended up here. I have too much info in Outlook which I don't want surfacing some day somewhere else. It would compromise my business and my clients. I will not even entertain Blue-Tooth syncronization. It has to be a tethered syncronization. You don't spend a decade building a company then risk loosing it all because some kid with a laptop in his bicycle basket riding through the neighborhood stumbled upon your info and posted it out on the web. I have witnessed kids doing this very thing in front of my house. And for those of you who are too young to realize it, there is such a thing called "industrial sabotage". I have personally witnessed such activity more than a dozen times. I don't need to make it easy for my competition to sabotage my business. Syncronizing my info has to be secure (tethered). This is why I am here on the DJO website posting this.

In my quest to do this right, I have been surveying people's opinions, shopping phone stores, and cornering IT people in my clients' offices. Recently, I was shown this website. BINGO! It seems DJO offers the solution for which I have been looking. I read all the posts. I am getting acquainted with the jargon, but not there yet. Also, I have been warned that DJO may work well with some phone generations, but will struggle with newer phones. Considering I will be buying a brand new HTC One X (newest HTC generation), which is just hitting the market, this is a real concern. Any feed back on this issue?

If anyone can address any of these concerns, please do. I am eager to hear your experience. Younger people know more about these things. The younger the better.

Many thanks and God bless ya'll,
    wcsman

Hi wcsman,

We have the HTC One X here in the shop - it works great with DejaOffice! The high resolution screen is especially helpful for busy calendars.

For Microsoft Outlook files (Excel), there are a variety of Android apps available that will handle those. Take a look at Quickoffice Pro, OfficeSuite Pro, Documents To Go, or ThinkFree Office.

CompanionLink has put together a migration guide for switching from BlackBerry to Android. It covers common pitfalls and recommends apps that ex-BlackBerry users might find helpful - http://www.companionlink.com/whitepa...migration.html

Hope this helps!

Thanks, Kaena. I am just getting back in town. I move slow and carefully with this stuff. Fortunately, I have the kids in from college to help me, so I hope to get this done next week. I need to do some research on some of the suggestions you offered. I don't know what all those animals are, which you suggested. Officethis, Officethat. All new to me. Will look them up and see what I can learn.

Many thanks!

DejaOffice Team Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DLP View Post
    I believe I have followed the instructions for the process. I can see my device along with the ADB driver in properties. When you connect with the Bionic 4 options appear(always have used Charge Only for normal sync) - 1-PC Mode 2- WIndows Media Sync 3- USB Mass Storage - 4- Charge Only ......I've tried all and "nothing happens".....tried a few more times and stuck on "Retrieving Android Data". I have set the Sync in CL to ..auto on connect..... what am I missing? I was excited to try this as it sounded similar to the "old activesynce" in windows mobile that I so loved and was awesome in syncing with outlook seamlessly.

THanks for your help in advance,
    D

Droid BionicHTC Desire with Android 2.3.4
    CL 5 build 5026
    DJO 2.1.5 beta
    Windows 7 64bit
    Outlook 2010 32bit
    DejaConnect USB Sync
    DLP,

Update to CompanionLink build 5032 and the follow the steps below:

1. Open the Task manager and verify the ADB.exe is not running. (End the process if it is running.)
    2. Open DejaOffice and verify it is running.
    3. Try Charge Only or Windows Media Sync in that order with the ADB.exe not running.
    4. Try the Sync button in CompanionLink Setup on the PC.

Good Job!

Hi Tomas and Everyone At DJ Office and here!

Thank you for all your hard Work with the Updates and the New "DejaConnect USB (Recommended)

Indeed, I would also recommend it, it worked fine for me, I did a complete new Install of DJ Office on my Phone and reloaded all the Data via Palm Desktop. In other Words after I uninstalled DJ Office from the Phone, I deleted the CLUSB folder as well on the SD-Card and started to load everything from Scratch. Only after everything was backed up properly of course!

For the first Time I could load more than 6000 Calendar Entry's going back more than 7000 Days (+- 20 Years back!) Although, as I know, you people at DJ Office do not recommend that, but I read how somebody else here had successfully done that. Please keep Improving that Calendar, many of us NEED that Data on our Calendar!

Suggestion for Calendar:
    For us with the smaller Screens, it is essential, that we can read something! Why dont you do it like the Palm Calendar did:
    Do Not display all the time Fields in the Day View, but condense it, so that one can see all ones Appointments on one Screen.
    One does not need all the other Time fields.
    For example: It could start at 7:00am and than jump to 11:00am (first appointment) than jump to 2:00pm (second appointment) show a few time fields maybe only every 2. Hour and so on.
    In that way, all the Important things are seen on one Screen and could be in a bigger Font as well!

Question:
    In Companion Link, on the Main Screen right on Top under Options one can tic Optimized update sync . What exactly does that do?
    I looked all over the CompanionLink Support Center and I did not find anything!

Thanks again, and keep up the good works,

Greetings PalmOS
    Win10 - Palm Desktop 4.1 - IPhone 5s IOS 10.2.1 - CL 7.0.34.0 (B.7034) - DJOI 1.10.0 - Local USB Sync

DejaOffice Team Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmOS View Post
    Hi Tomas and Everyone At DJ Office and here!

Thank you for all your hard Work with the Updates and the New "DejaConnect USB (Recommended)

Indeed, I would also recommend it, it worked fine for me, I did a complete new Install of DJ Office on my Phone and reloaded all the Data via Palm Desktop. In other Words after I uninstalled DJ Office from the Phone, I deleted the CLUSB folder as well on the SD-Card and started to load everything from Scratch. Only after everything was backed up properly of course!

For the first Time I could load more than 6000 Calendar Entry's going back more than 7000 Days (+- 20 Years back!) Although, as I know, you people at DJ Office do not recommend that, but I read how somebody else here had successfully done that. Please keep Improving that Calendar, many of us NEED that Data on our Calendar!

Suggestion for Calendar:
    For us with the smaller Screens, it is essential, that we can read something! Why dont you do it like the Palm Calendar did:
    Do Not display all the time Fields in the Day View, but condense it, so that one can see all ones Appointments on one Screen.
    One does not need all the other Time fields.
    For example: It could start at 7:00am and than jump to 11:00am (first appointment) than jump to 2:00pm (second appointment) show a few time fields maybe only every 2. Hour and so on.
    In that way, all the Important things are seen on one Screen and could be in a bigger Font as well!

Question:
    In Companion Link, on the Main Screen right on Top under Options one can tic Optimized update sync . What exactly does that do?
    I looked all over the CompanionLink Support Center and I did not find anything!

Thanks again, and keep up the good works,

Greetings PalmOS
    PalmOS,

Thanks for the great feedback.
    Optimized update Sync is an option when syncing with Outlook. In this mode CompanionLink only parses data records from Outlook that have a time date stamp later than the last sync recorded in CompanionLink.
    For large databases it can improve performance of the sync process.