Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: DejaOffice 2.1.3 beta - new USB sync - DejaConnect USB

Weird. Mine stopped doing that. My sequence is to tap the sync button on mt Nexus One screen and immediately click on the sync button in Companion Link on my desktop.

Maybe needs a setting that allows you to change the length of time it will continue to look for the handshake?
    DejaOffice PC CRM Standalone, Windows 10 Home Version ver. 1903
    DejaOffice 4.4.21 (Android), Moto G6, stock Android 9), May 2019 security patch.*
    Samsung Galaxy Tab S, LineageOS 14.1 (Android 7.1.2), August 2019 security patch.
    DejaCloud Sync (PC and phone), USB Sync (Tablet).

*Temporary phone after my Nexus 6p died, holding out for this phone as a replacement: https://www.fxtec.com/pro1/

Well, famous last words. Suddenly stopped working again. I tried 5 times and it wouldn't connect. That's why it's a Beta, right.

I'm back to Secure Wireless. Frankly, it's worth the monthly fee for something that works reliably first time every time (with the added bonus of OTA if you want it from anywhere). I'll try this other method at various times in the future as it improves since I really do like USB sync. I would be interested to have this method working if it becomes reliable enough. I'm too old to keep niggling with stuff when I have something that works.
    DejaOffice 4.4.21 (Android), Moto G6, stock Android 9), May 2019 security patch.*
    Samsung Galaxy Tab S, LineageOS 14.1 (Android 7.1.2), August 2019 security patch.

*Temporary phone after my Nexus 6p died, holding out for this phone as a replacement: https://www.fxtec.com/pro1/

DejaOffice Team Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ProTel-BS View Post
    Hi Ben,

tested and for me too the connection isn't found the first time, have to do it a second time.

Nevertheless I can't use USB Debugging mode sync, because sync time is too long. I tried with and without "Purge and reload" (which is now "wipe all records before sync") and syncing starts but my estimated sync time (during stage "reading Outlook contacts and calendar") is more than one hour. During this stage of sync the connection to the device has been lost and/or CL crashed, so syncing didn't finish correctly.
    I have to sync about 180 contacts and about 9800 calendar entries (set past range to 30000 days because I want to sync all my calendar data).

With USB (mass storage) syncing runs well as before even with this amount of data and with these settings. But there I always have the problem with the not closed file 'clusb\companionlink.db-shm' and orphan files on the device in directory LOST.DIR as mentioned in another thread.

So this version
    1. is either beta and therefore is so slow and I have to wait for a new version
    2. or "USB debugging mode" is useless for this amount of data?

Kind regards
    Arno
    Arno,

I can only advise that we do not test any parameters inhouse where 30000 days worth of past data is synced via the calendar.
    This represents a parameter beyond normal use. Asa result this may possibly be why you are experiencing some challenges with CompanionLink.

Thomas,

since about 1999 or 2000 I use an PIM, so I have data in my calendar since this time. I DO(!) want to preserve all this data.

When starting to use DJO and CL in 2010 therefore I had about 10 years of data, so first I entered 3000 days past to sync. Then I remarked that this value is too small (because one year has about 365 days and I want to use this software for at least several years) and I simply just added a zero -> 30000 days.

If I want to preserve and sync all my data of the last 13 years, a value of about 4745 should be sufficient. But I assume that it is in fact not the value of 30000 which is the problem but the amount of data of 13 years. In addition if I enter 4745 (or rounded 5000) or 30000 should be no matter: there is only data existent for the last about 5000 days.

So keep in mind:
    1. This problem should definitely not be a problem for a PIM (my old Palm Tungsten never had this problem), and I'm sure that I'm running into the same problem when entering a value of 5000 days in the past.
    2. It IS(!) no problem for CL and DJO, because 30000 days in the past sync fine (at least my data for the last 12 or 13 years) when using the "old" USB "mass storage" sync method.

So this new USB sync method obviously uses another method to collect Outlook's data during sync or Purge and Reload. Perhaps it is possible to use the same one as in the old sync method because the old one performs well.

Regards
    Arno
    (old, not longer used: Samsung Galaxy S2 (GT-i9100) with Android 4.1.2 (German language))
    Doogee Dagger DG550 with Android 4.4.2 (German language)
    CL 7 build 7022
    DJO for Android 4.1.6 (924)
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit
    Outlook 2010 32bit, SP2
    Sync: ADB Mode (DejaConnect USB)
    Sync only with one single PC

DejaOffice Team Member
    Thomas,

since about 1999 or 2000 I use an PIM, so I have data in my calendar since this time. I DO(!) want to preserve all this data.

When starting to use DJO and CL in 2010 therefore I had about 10 years of data, so first I entered 3000 days past to sync. Then I remarked that this value is too small (because one year has about 365 days and I want to use this software for at least several years) and I simply just added a zero -> 30000 days.

If I want to preserve and sync all my data of the last 13 years, a value of about 4745 should be sufficient. But I assume that it is in fact not the value of 30000 which is the problem but the amount of data of 13 years. In addition if I enter 4745 (or rounded 5000) or 30000 should be no matter: there is only data existent for the last about 5000 days.

So keep in mind:
    1. This problem should definitely not be a problem for a PIM (my old Palm Tungsten never had this problem), and I'm sure that I'm running into the same problem when entering a value of 5000 days in the past.
    2. It IS(!) no problem for CL and DJO, because 30000 days in the past sync fine (at least my data for the last 12 or 13 years) when using the "old" USB "mass storage" sync method.

So this new USB sync method obviously uses another method to collect Outlook's data during sync or Purge and Reload. Perhaps it is possible to use the same one as in the old sync method because the old one performs well.

Regards
    Arno
    Arno,

Thank you for the clarification. We are currently working on increasing Sync performance. It isn't an accident that the default Sync History setting is set to 90 days. This is in an the interest of maintaining optimal Sync performance while providing a reasonable "SUB SET" of Calendar Data on the device to assist an individual in managing their calendar.

Users are welcome to adjust this setting to their needs/desire's. Please note changing the value of the date range to 5000 days will affect Sync performance and DejaOffice UI performance. We constantly strive to improve both.
    I feel there is a need here to simply restate for everyone reading that at this time... Back loading a Large Calendar Database affects product performance. Period.

We constantly strive to improve all aspects of our product line, this is certainly one we give regular attention to and will continue to do so.
    The only reasonable expectation I can set here is this:
    Adjusting this setting in the manner described above will have an effect on the Sync performance and DejaOffice Performance.

Thomas,

sorry (I'm German, so it might be possible that I can't clearly describe what I mean), I understand what you mean. But it is obviously NOT the amount of data which brings DJO or CL to struggle:

- Using 'old' USB (mass storage) sync I don't have any problems with my 30000 days setting and the amount of data. Normal sync both ways is done in much less than a minute. One way sync (i.e. Purge and Reload or now wipe all records...) is done in about 3 or 4 minutes which is o.k. for 9800 calendar entries.

- Using 'new' USB (debugging mode) sync two way sync and one way sync are slow. When one way sync (Outlook to device; wipe all records...) is collecting data from Outlook contacs are collected about one entry per second, calendar entries are collected (50 in a bunch) also very slowly.

So there is a difference between sync methods: the old one collects data from Outlook very fast, the new one is slow. I'm wondering if this is 'by design' or it is due to the beta status of USB debugging (!?!?!?) mode?

Regards
    Arno
    (old, not longer used: Samsung Galaxy S2 (GT-i9100) with Android 4.1.2 (German language))
    CL 7 build 7022
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit
    Outlook 2010 32bit, SP2

DejaOffice Team Member
    Thomas,

sorry (I'm German, so it might be possible that I can't clearly describe what I mean), I understand what you mean. But it is obviously NOT the amount of data which brings DJO or CL to struggle:

- Using 'old' USB (mass storage) sync I don't have any problems with my 30000 days setting and the amount of data. Normal sync both ways is done in much less than a minute. One way sync (i.e. Purge and Reload or now wipe all records...) is done in about 3 or 4 minutes which is o.k. for 9800 calendar entries.

- Using 'new' USB (debugging mode) sync two way sync and one way sync are slow. When one way sync (Outlook to device; wipe all records...) is collecting data from Outlook contacs are collected about one entry per second, calendar entries are collected (50 in a bunch) also very slowly.

So there is a difference between sync methods: the old one collects data from Outlook very fast, the new one is slow. I'm wondering if this is 'by design' or it is due to the beta status of USB debugging (!?!?!?) mode?

Regards
    Arno
    Arno,

Much clearer now. Thank you.

Debug Sync was designed as a solution for users who are having issues getting the standard USB Sync Method to work at all. We have a subset of customers who for various reasons cannot successfully utilize this feature.
    Debug sync is in it's infancy and uses a completely different driver set to accomplish the same process.
    We have yet to begin truly optimizing the USB Debug Sync process for performance. This feedback is helpful for us in the long run.
    Our primary goal at the moment is to establish this USB Debug Sync as reliable alternative for users who can't sync via the Standard USB method. We will continue to try to improve performance. But Sync stability is the primary goal at this time.

Does this information help?

Thomas,

yes, thank you for this description.

For me for the moment the normal old USB sync works fine, but I'd like to use the new one. The reason for this is that there is no need to unmount/mount the device's SD card, so I hope the problem with the non closed file 'clusb\companionlink.db-shm' will disappear with the new sync method...

But perhaps you will find a solution for this problem even for the old USB sync method ;-)

Kind regards
    Arno
    CL 7 build 7022
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit
    Outlook 2010 32bit, SP2

Hi all - I've posted a new CompanionLink beta with USB debugging sync support. This build includes several stability improvements for USB debugging. It may also have an effect on the random failure to connect issue that some of you are running into. I didn't see that issue myself, but I did see a case where one of the stability improvements might have also improved connection reliability, so this build may ameliorate the problem.

You can download the new build here. Should install as CompanionLink build 5021.1:

CompanionLink USB Debugging build

Don't hesitate to leave feedback.

So far, it is working nicely. Connecting every time. Of course, that's what i thought last time,so I'll keep testing over the week-end and report if any problems crop up.

By the way, my candidates for descriptions of the two types of USB sync are:

Direct USB Sync

and

Mounted USB Sync.

They are still a little technical, but they are pretty descriptive. In the first case, once youve installed the drivers, you just plug in the USB and go. In the second, you have the extra steps of mounting (and unmounting) the SD card.
    Last edited by Hook; 02-03-2012 at 06:51 PM.