Thread: Anticipating new device. I want to clarify a few things. :-)

Anticipating new device. I want to clarify a few things. :-)

I actually would have just reused my multiple profile thread below, but for some reason it was locked.

I'm hoping to get a new Samsung Galaxy Player 5 in about 2 weeks (Yayy, a PDA-- no phone) which will become my primary device syncing with Companion Link and Outlook.

I would like to, however, use my Nexus One as a backup, so I want to keep both devices in sync with Outlook.

So here are my questions so I know how to do this right:

1. I assume this would require 2 profiles, so am I correct that it would be enough to upgrade to Companion Link Express and that I don't need to go to CL Pro? Is the upgrade price simply the difference in cost between CL for Outlook and CL Express ($30?)?

2. If I want to use Secure Wireless Sync for both profiles, can I use the same subscription or do I actually have to pay separately to do Secure Wireless Sync for both? (If I have to pay twice, I'll likely use an alternative sync method for the backup).

3. Since the second device is a backup, could I save money by using the ability to install CL for Outlook on more than one machine to get around having to upgrade? This would mean I would have to physically copy the Outlook pst file I am using to Outlook on the second computer so that the information matches what is being synced on the primary device and then do a purge and sync to the backup device. I think it is probably more work than a one time payment for the CL Express upgrade is worth, but just curious if you can have a different device on two different installations of CL?

Thanks for your help on this. Also, if there is anything I'm overlooking, let me know. I want to be ready to go when I finally get the new device.
    DejaOffice PC CRM Standalone, Windows 10 Home Version ver. 1903
    DejaOffice 4.4.21 (Android), Moto G6, stock Android 9), May 2019 security patch.*
    Samsung Galaxy Tab S, LineageOS 14.1 (Android 7.1.2), August 2019 security patch.
    DejaCloud Sync (PC and phone), USB Sync (Tablet).

*Temporary phone after my Nexus 6p died, holding out for this phone as a replacement: https://www.fxtec.com/pro1/

DejaOffice Team Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hook View Post
    I actually would have just reused my multiple profile thread below, but for some reason it was locked.

I'm hoping to get a new Samsung Galaxy Player 5 in about 2 weeks (Yayy, a PDA-- no phone) which will become my primary device syncing with Companion Link and Outlook.

I would like to, however, use my Nexus One as a backup, so I want to keep both devices in sync with Outlook.

So here are my questions so I know how to do this right:

1. I assume this would require 2 profiles, so am I correct that it would be enough to upgrade to Companion Link Express and that I don't need to go to CL Pro? Is the upgrade price simply the difference in cost between CL for Outlook and CL Express ($30?)?

2. If I want to use Secure Wireless Sync for both profiles, can I use the same subscription or do I actually have to pay separately to do Secure Wireless Sync for both? (If I have to pay twice, I'll likely use an alternative sync method for the backup).

3. Since the second device is a backup, could I save money by using the ability to install CL for Outlook on more than one machine to get around having to upgrade? This would mean I would have to physically copy the Outlook pst file I am using to Outlook on the second computer so that the information matches what is being synced on the primary device and then do a purge and sync to the backup device. I think it is probably more work than a one time payment for the CL Express upgrade is worth, but just curious if you can have a different device on two different installations of CL?

Thanks for your help on this. Also, if there is anything I'm overlooking, let me know. I want to be ready to go when I finally get the new device.
    Hello Hook,

See my answers below:
    1. Yes CompanionLink Express would work because you would only need two sync profiles. Upgrade price is the difference between the two products.

2. A secure Hosted account can only work with one Mobile device. We may have some changes to this in the future, but for the time being it is a 1 account, 1 device scenario.

3. Theoretically this would work. We do the same procedure over here on a pretty regular basis. (To me it would be easier to just use WiFi or USB Sync for your Backup phone on the same machine. However the choice is yours.)

I hope this helps, and congratulations!

Thanks for the quick response. Yes, on #3, I think paying the upgrade price will be much less painful-- it was more that I was curious if my understanding was correct.

I hope folks can come up with a different approach for the secured wireless sync. I really love it, but $10/month "per device" seems steep. However, since I will likely sync the backup maybe even once a week, using one of the other methods, even if they are figity for me, will be that big a deal.

A suggestion. It would be really nice I think if you had one of theose feature comparison tables for the different versions of CL so that one could see at a glance what is different and what is the same about them. Would make figuring things out easier, I think.

Thanks.
    DejaOffice 4.4.21 (Android), Moto G6, stock Android 9), May 2019 security patch.*
    Samsung Galaxy Tab S, LineageOS 14.1 (Android 7.1.2), August 2019 security patch.

*Temporary phone after my Nexus 6p died, holding out for this phone as a replacement: https://www.fxtec.com/pro1/

DejaOffice Team Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hook View Post
    Thanks for the quick response. Yes, on #3, I think paying the upgrade price will be much less painful-- it was more that I was curious if my understanding was correct.

I hope folks can come up with a different approach for the secured wireless sync. I really love it, but $10/month "per device" seems steep. However, since I will likely sync the backup maybe even once a week, using one of the other methods, even if they are figity for me, will be that big a deal.

A suggestion. It would be really nice I think if you had one of theose feature comparison tables for the different versions of CL so that one could see at a glance what is different and what is the same about them. Would make figuring things out easier, I think.

Thanks.

Hook,

We agree that the pricing structure isn't optimal right now. Secure Hosted was built when the world was a 1 mobile device environment. The 1 device per account is due to technical restraints at the moment and we are working on this in the background.

Sorry, typo in my second post: using altrnate sync for back up *won't* be that big a deal, I meant to say.

I understand about the hosted sync and it's fine. I'm sure there will be changes coming when possible.