+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sorting Tasks, multilevel

Sorting Tasks, multilevel

Well, I've downloaded and installed Deja Office 1.2.11 - it fixes some problems, but simply doesn't address the feature that I feel is most important for real usability: the ability to SORT TASKS BY MORE THAN ONE CRITERION -- e.g. Category within Due Date, Priority within Category, or any of a variety of arrangements which would allow really meaningful grouping of a large number of tasks. As it stands now, I have to restrict my view of tasks to today's tasks to have them fall into (partly) sequential order for today, so I can't look at tomorrow's tasks along with today's without seeing a meaningless jumble, because I can't arrange them in useful order. I use Category to indicate a rough measure of the period of the day when a task should be completed -- as I feel many ToDo lists are organized -- which is useful only when I can separate this morning's tasks from tomorrow morning's, or the next day's morning tasks, etc. As I've mentioned before in this forum, my ideal sort would be by Priority within Category within Due Date, but there are other arrangements which might be meaningful to users with goals different from mine. What's difficult about a multilevel sort? It's the kind of resequencing which is done routinely by any spreadsheet program.
    Does anybody else have feelings on this?
    Thanks, - Bob
    Mobile Device: iPod Touch, iOS 9.3
    Deja Office version#1.9.0
    CompanionLink build 7012
    Data Manager App: Palm Desktop
    Sync Method: Local Wi-Fi

DejaOffice Team Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bhutton View Post
    Well, I've downloaded and installed Deja Office 1.2.11 - it fixes some problems, but simply doesn't address the feature that I feel is most important for real usability: the ability to SORT TASKS BY MORE THAN ONE CRITERION -- e.g. Category within Due Date, Priority within Category, or any of a variety of arrangements which would allow really meaningful grouping of a large number of tasks. As it stands now, I have to restrict my view of tasks to today's tasks to have them fall into (partly) sequential order for today, so I can't look at tomorrow's tasks along with today's without seeing a meaningless jumble, because I can't arrange them in useful order. I use Category to indicate a rough measure of the period of the day when a task should be completed -- as I feel many ToDo lists are organized -- which is useful only when I can separate this morning's tasks from tomorrow morning's, or the next day's morning tasks, etc. As I've mentioned before in this forum, my ideal sort would be by Priority within Category within Due Date, but there are other arrangements which might be meaningful to users with goals different from mine. What's difficult about a multilevel sort? It's the kind of resequencing which is done routinely by any spreadsheet program.
    Does anybody else have feelings on this?
    Hello Bob,

We have sent a feature request to the dev team regarding this specific request. Apologies for the slow response on this but I can assure you the request was delivered some time ago. The dev team will evaluate the feasibility.

Best.

I can respond much faster to your questions about DejaOffice if you include the following information in your Signature:
    Mobile Device and OS
    DejaOffice version#
    CompanionLink build #
    Data Manager App (Outlook ACT! PalmDesktop etc..)
    Sync Method with CompanionLink
    DejaOffice Sync Settings for Contacts and Calendar. - Please include the "Account" Selected to Sync with for Contacts and or Calendar.
    Also - Please avoid using terms like, "Latest Update", that can mean too many things. Version # is greatly appreciated.

Any more info on this? Looking to switch from pocket Informant and so far Deja Office looks like it will do the job, except for thise feature.

TIA - R.

DejaOffice Team Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooster99 View Post
    Any more info on this? Looking to switch from pocket Informant and so far Deja Office looks like it will do the job, except for thise feature.

TIA - R.
    Hello Rooster,

I have not received an update form the dev team on this. I will check again and post if I have anything new to share on this.

I can respond much faster to your questions about DejaOffice if you include the following information in your Signature:
    Mobile Device and OS
    DejaOffice version#
    CompanionLink build #
    Data Manager App (Outlook ACT! PalmDesktop etc..)
    Sync Method with CompanionLink
    DejaOffice Sync Settings for Contacts and Calendar. - Please include the "Account" Selected to Sync with for Contacts and or Calendar.
    Also - Please avoid using terms like, "Latest Update", that can mean too many things. Version # is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the fast reply, Thomas! I look forward to hearing back (and have my fingers crossed it's a positive message).

- R.

I second that sentiment, in spades!! My original remarks -- and needs -- haven't changed.
    Thanks, - Bob
    CompanionLink build 7012

I started this thread about the beginning of January, 2012. Received a reply in March that a request had been put in to the Development team to evaluate the proposal; saw another reply to about the same effect in July, but nothing since then. I feel it's something that's really needed to make the app useful, and that multilevel sorting is a rather ordinary feature of many apps, so how tough can it be? I'm really pushing to have this feature installed; or alternatively, I'd like to correspond with someone who understands the problem and can maybe help me get the effect I need in some other way.
    Has the development team been heard from? Is there any hope?
    Thanks, - Bob
    CompanionLink build 7012

I started this thread about the beginning of January, 2012. Received a reply in March that a request had been put in to the Development team to evaluate the proposal; saw another reply to about the same effect in July, but nothing since then. I feel it's something that's really needed to make the app useful, and that multilevel sorting is a rather ordinary feature of many apps, so how tough can it be? I'm really pushing to have this feature installed; or alternatively, I'd like to correspond with someone who understands the problem and can maybe help me get the effect I need in some other way.
    Bob -

This request was reviewed at the time, but other features were prioritized. We'll be sure to communicate your desire for this functionality, though.

Thanks -

-Belinda

OK, please do. This is of considerable importance to me -- thanks for your help.
    Thanks, - Bob
    CompanionLink build 7012

Bob - We've added multi-level sort for tasks, so this feature should be in the next release of DejaOffice, version 1.4.1, which should be available on the App Store within the next few days.

Additionally, I expect that we'll add this same feature for all the apps (contacts, calendar, memos) in the next one or two builds, in case you're hoping to use it for more than just tasks.

+ Reply to Thread