+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Simple 1-way sync fails to sync some Calendar items, and syncs some to wrong day

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    325

    Unhappy Simple 1-way sync fails to sync some Calendar items, and syncs some to wrong day

    A bit disappointed here - I just did a sync, Palm Desktop via WiFi -> Android.

    --

    I just added a 3-day event to Palm Desktop (event starts Thursday, 1 March, 2012, daily repeat with last day being Saturday, 3 March 2012).

    Sync was set up to go 1-way (Palm -> Android) via WiFi, "Wipe Calendar" NOT checked, "Palm Desktop is the primary database" selected.

    This should be a VERY simple sync... simple 3 day repeat, 1-way sync, newly created Palm Desktop item... and DejaOffice Calendar shows the event on 1 March and 2 March only, no event on 3 March. In DejaOffice, they appear not as a repeating event, but as 2 separate events. Anything to do with it being a leap-year, perhaps?

    Oh, and I'm still getting syncing of some events to the wrong dates - this appears to happen if they contain the same information as another event (or if they are copied from an existing event, possibly). This happens with 1-way sync, as mentioned above.

    For example, I had a weekly repeating event in Palm Desktop, copied it, changed it to a non-repeating event, and set it on a different day and time (but containing all the same info as the original event), and when I synced with CompanionLink, it placed it at the right time but on the same day as the event from which it had been copied, and as a repeating event instead of a one-time event (as it appears in Palm Desktop).

    This is CompanionLink Pro 5022, DejaOffice 1.12.8

    C'mon folks, get it together!

    - Tim

    --------------------
    Google Nexus One
    Android 2.3.6 (stock)
    DejaOffice v1.12.8
    CompanionLink Professional, Build 5022
    Palm Desktop 4.1.4 / Agendus for Windows 5.42 Build 1666
    CL Sync : Palm Desktop (WiFi) -> Android
    Last edited by tbessie; 02-27-2012 at 10:49 PM.

  2. #2
    DejaOffice Team Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,347
    Quote Originally Posted by tbessie View Post
    A bit disappointed here - I just did a sync, Palm Desktop via WiFi -> Android.

    --

    I just added a 3-day event to Palm Desktop (event starts Thursday, 1 March, 2012, daily repeat with last day being Saturday, 3 March 2012).

    Sync was set up to go 1-way (Palm -> Android) via WiFi, "Wipe Calendar" NOT checked, "Palm Desktop is the primary database" selected.

    This should be a VERY simple sync... simple 3 day repeat, 1-way sync, newly created Palm Desktop item... and DejaOffice Calendar shows the event on 1 March and 2 March only, no event on 3 March. In DejaOffice, they appear not as a repeating event, but as 2 separate events. Anything to do with it being a leap-year, perhaps?

    Oh, and I'm still getting syncing of some events to the wrong dates - this appears to happen if they contain the same information as another event (or if they are copied from an existing event, possibly). This happens with 1-way sync, as mentioned above.

    For example, I had a weekly repeating event in Palm Desktop, copied it, changed it to a non-repeating event, and set it on a different day and time (but containing all the same info as the original event), and when I synced with CompanionLink, it placed it at the right time but on the same day as the event from which it had been copied, and as a repeating event instead of a one-time event (as it appears in Palm Desktop).

    This is CompanionLink Pro 5022, DejaOffice 1.12.8

    C'mon folks, get it together!

    - Tim

    --------------------
    Google Nexus One
    Android 2.3.6 (stock)
    DejaOffice v1.12.8
    CompanionLink Professional, Build 5022
    Palm Desktop 4.1.4 / Agendus for Windows 5.42 Build 1666
    CL Sync : Palm Desktop (WiFi) -> Android
    Hello Tim,

    If you recently updated to CL build 5022. I would try the following steps

    1. Open CompanionLink Setup
    2. CLick options
    3. Reread Palm Desktop Data on Next Sync.
    4. Sync your Phone.

    Also DejaOffice 1.12.8 has been in the Market since December. We have made some huge strides with DejaOffice 1.2.3beta.
    If the Reread Sync does not resolve the issue, I would recommend installing 2.1.3beta and doing a Wipe all records Sync.

    I hope this helps.

    Keep me informed if you have this is till a problem or if you run into any other issues.


    I can respond much faster to your questions about DejaOffice if you include the following information in your Signature:
    Mobile Device and OS
    DejaOffice version#
    CompanionLink build #
    Data Manager App (Outlook ACT! PalmDesktop etc..)
    Sync Method with CompanionLink
    DejaOffice Sync Settings for Contacts and Calendar. - Please include the "Account" Selected to Sync with for Contacts and or Calendar.
    Also - Please avoid using terms like, "Latest Update", that can mean too many things. Version # is greatly appreciated.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    325
    Thanks Thomas, I'll try your suggestion. Doesn't CompanionLink read the Palm database if it has changed since the last time CompanionLink was run and/or synced? I don't keep CompanionLink running when I'm not using it, and only sync from time to time (my goal is to move everything to Outlook and do two-way syncs more regularly, eventually - bit of a project, but will get to it).

    I would try out the newer DejaOffice beta, but would rather not since it's still in Beta, and since I see some scary comments here about its stability at the moment. I'd rather wait until it's out of beta before converting - I'm sure you can understand that. :-)

    - Tim
    Sony XZ2 Compact - Android 8.0 (stock)
    DejaOffice v4.4.8, build 1072 - CompanionLink Professional 8, Build 8018
    Outlook 2010 - CL Sync : Outlook <-(WiFi)-> Android

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    325
    Ok Thomas, checking 'Reread Palm Desktop Data on Next Sync' didn't solve the problem - it still only synced 2 out of the 3 days of the repeating event.

    I'm not going to do a wipe, and not going to use v2 until it's out of beta.

    I sure hope you folks can get syncing working 100% someday, without record loss or duplication. I know it's tough (your CEO has described to me in detail the difficulties it doing it, given the many differences in formats and devices that it has to work on). It just saddens me that so much special care, starting from scratch (wiping) etc. has to happen to fix certain syncing issues. It should (eventually, anyway) be "click and sync" and having a virtual guarantee of exact copies of your Tasks, Calendar, Contacts and Memos being on Desktop app and Handheld. I'm sure that's what you're working towards... just still not there yet. :-(

    - Tim
    Sony XZ2 Compact - Android 8.0 (stock)
    DejaOffice v4.4.8, build 1072 - CompanionLink Professional 8, Build 8018
    Outlook 2010 - CL Sync : Outlook <-(WiFi)-> Android

  5. #5
    DejaOffice Team Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,347
    Quote Originally Posted by tbessie View Post
    Ok Thomas, checking 'Reread Palm Desktop Data on Next Sync' didn't solve the problem - it still only synced 2 out of the 3 days of the repeating event.

    I'm not going to do a wipe, and not going to use v2 until it's out of beta.

    I sure hope you folks can get syncing working 100% someday, without record loss or duplication. I know it's tough (your CEO has described to me in detail the difficulties it doing it, given the many differences in formats and devices that it has to work on). It just saddens me that so much special care, starting from scratch (wiping) etc. has to happen to fix certain syncing issues. It should (eventually, anyway) be "click and sync" and having a virtual guarantee of exact copies of your Tasks, Calendar, Contacts and Memos being on Desktop app and Handheld. I'm sure that's what you're working towards... just still not there yet. :-(

    - Tim
    OK. We will let you know when it is a general release.


    I can respond much faster to your questions about DejaOffice if you include the following information in your Signature:
    Mobile Device and OS
    DejaOffice version#
    CompanionLink build #
    Data Manager App (Outlook ACT! PalmDesktop etc..)
    Sync Method with CompanionLink
    DejaOffice Sync Settings for Contacts and Calendar. - Please include the "Account" Selected to Sync with for Contacts and or Calendar.
    Also - Please avoid using terms like, "Latest Update", that can mean too many things. Version # is greatly appreciated.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    OK. We will let you know when it is a general release.
    Thanks Thomas.

    By the way, the reason I don't want to use the "wipe method" is because there is data in both Desktop and Handheld that has changed, and until I manually copy from handheld to desktop, I won't be doing that (since I can't count 100% on 2-way sync). I didn't mean it as a flat refusal without a reason. :-/

    - Tim
    Sony XZ2 Compact - Android 8.0 (stock)
    DejaOffice v4.4.8, build 1072 - CompanionLink Professional 8, Build 8018
    Outlook 2010 - CL Sync : Outlook <-(WiFi)-> Android

  7. #7
    DejaOffice Team Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,347
    Quote Originally Posted by tbessie View Post
    Thanks Thomas.

    By the way, the reason I don't want to use the "wipe method" is because there is data in both Desktop and Handheld that has changed, and until I manually copy from handheld to desktop, I won't be doing that (since I can't count 100% on 2-way sync). I didn't mean it as a flat refusal without a reason. :-/

    - Tim
    No worries Tim,

    A flat resfual with no reason is as valid as any other reason.


    One thing I am not sure you are aware of...
    CompanionLink backs up the Palm Desktop Data automatically before each sync.
    2 Way Sync with PDT is pretty bullet proof because of this nifty little feature.
    FYI...


    I can respond much faster to your questions about DejaOffice if you include the following information in your Signature:
    Mobile Device and OS
    DejaOffice version#
    CompanionLink build #
    Data Manager App (Outlook ACT! PalmDesktop etc..)
    Sync Method with CompanionLink
    DejaOffice Sync Settings for Contacts and Calendar. - Please include the "Account" Selected to Sync with for Contacts and or Calendar.
    Also - Please avoid using terms like, "Latest Update", that can mean too many things. Version # is greatly appreciated.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    No worries Tim,

    A flat resfual with no reason is as valid as any other reason.


    One thing I am not sure you are aware of...
    CompanionLink backs up the Palm Desktop Data automatically before each sync.
    2 Way Sync with PDT is pretty bullet proof because of this nifty little feature.
    FYI...
    Thanks for the info, Thomas. Of course, that would mean I'd have to restore the prior Palm Desktop state if I saw that something had gone wrong, and I have such a large number of records of data, I might not discover that something had wrong until quite some time down the line; that would be an unpleasant and untimely discovery, so I'd rather avoid it until I have 100% confidence in 2-way sync.

    - Tim
    Sony XZ2 Compact - Android 8.0 (stock)
    DejaOffice v4.4.8, build 1072 - CompanionLink Professional 8, Build 8018
    Outlook 2010 - CL Sync : Outlook <-(WiFi)-> Android

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts