Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DJO new update 2.1.5 causing problems with week view

DJO new update 2.1.5 causing problems with week view

I let my Android auto-update, and unfortunately now my week view is acting strange. Basically, it's not "snapping" to Sunday on the left side. Before, a "swipe" would move it one week at a time, which was perfect. Now it's infinitely movable, which is surprisingly hard to control
    Deborah

CL 5040 -- not yet repurchased
    DJO 3.1.3 (651)
    Droid Turbo with Android 4.4.4
    System version 21.21.15.quark_Verizon.en.US
    Outlook 2007

Yes, I noticed this with the last beta. My jury is still out on whether I like it or not-- there are some advantages for looking ahead and back quickly. It would probably be useful if there was an option to lock the scrolling, making it behave as it did before.
    Sadly, I can no longer use CL or DJO as I have replaced Outlook with Thunderbird and Pimlical Desktop. Pimlical, since moving to Java 8 is no longer compatible with Companion Link. I will lurk about just because I am interested. Please let me know if the Pimlical compatibility problem ever changes and thanks to all here for your support and help over the years. This is the best software for synching Outlook to Android.

Quote Originally Posted by Hook View Post
    Yes, I noticed this with the last beta. My jury is still out on whether I like it or not-- there are some advantages for looking ahead and back quickly. It would probably be useful if there was an option to lock the scrolling, making it behave as it did before.
    There should absolutely be an option to lock the scrolling to the old behavior. My two most common uses for the week view are:

1. What do I have this week? What do I have next week?

2. Manually Syncing to the paper calendar in our kitchen.

In both cases, the week view has to be locked to Sunday-first or it takes significant mental effort to process it.
    Rob Freundlich

Samsung Galaxy Note 2/Android 4.1.2/Kernel Version 3.0.31-1098177
    DJO Version 2.5.4 (500)
    CL Version 5070
    Palm Desktop Version 4.1/Windows 7 64-bit
    Local WiFi Sync

my 0.02:
    Basically, I like the new behavior.
    However, it should be activated only if moving the week with the finger kept on the screen. If giving the screen s swipe (I am not sure its the right terminus) it should move an entire week and lock to the starting day specified in the preferences. Also, if the week view is newly opened, it should always start fixed to the starting day from preferences as well.
    Google Pixel, Android 9.0 German, DJO 4.4.9 (1076)
    Office: Win10 x64, Outlook 365 (v2016, up to date) German, CL Express 7050 --- Local WiFi sync --- manual syncing, daily
    Home: Win10 x64, Outlook 365 (v2016, up to date) German, CL Express 7050 --- Local WiFi sync --- manual syncing, occasionally
    Syncing to native Android contacts (DJO account), not syncing to native Android calendar

Quote Originally Posted by McLion View Post
    my 0.02:
    Basically, I like the new behavior. .
    Usually with UI behaviors I dislike, I can see how some people might like them and find them useful (I'm a UI developer, so I try very hard to think that way), but in this case I'm having a very hard time seeing it. Can you help me out and tell me what you like about it? (if that sounds flip or challenging, it's not intended that way - I'd really like to understand this)

However, it should be activated only if moving the week with the finger kept on the screen. If giving the screen s swipe (I am not sure its the right terminus) it should move an entire week and lock to the starting day specified in the preferences. Also, if the week view is newly opened, it should always start fixed to the starting day from preferences as well.
    I think the usual drag-vs-swipe behavior is the opposite of what you describe - if you keep your finger on the screen (drag), the display scrolls only as far as you move your finger (snapping to a logical point when you lift your finger), and if you swipe, it scrolls some other distance (or possibly until you touch the screen again). For an example, go to the Tasks list and do a drag and then a swipe.

The fact that you would prefer it the opposite way suggests that an option may be needed to control that behavior.

I'd also like to see an option to turn the behavior completely off (as the OP suggested) so that whether I drag or swipe, I get a one-week scroll.
    Rob Freundlich

DJO Version 2.5.4 (500)
    CL Version 5070
    Local WiFi Sync

Quote Originally Posted by RobFreundlich View Post
    Usually with UI behaviors I dislike, I can see how some people might like them and find them useful (I'm a UI developer, so I try very hard to think that way), but in this case I'm having a very hard time seeing it. Can you help me out and tell me what you like about it? (if that sounds flip or challenging, it's not intended that way - I'd really like to understand this)
    If not thinking in "fixed weeks", I find it useful to be able to "move" the week day-by-day and see whats up in the next few days. Doing this on Friday for instance gives me the option of seeing a week starting from today instead of having 2 weeks to view for this, either this one until Sunday and the next one, but not together. ... could be just me ...

Quote Originally Posted by RobFreundlich View Post
    I think the usual drag-vs-swipe behavior is the opposite of what you describe - if you keep your finger on the screen (drag), the display scrolls only as far as you move your finger (snapping to a logical point when you lift your finger), and if you swipe, it scrolls some other distance (or possibly until you touch the screen again). For an example, go to the Tasks list and do a drag and then a swipe.
    Actually, that's what I meant. If reading my posting again, it was not clear.
    - Drag: Snapping to the day, in the current position when lifting the finger
    - Swipe: Moving and snapping to the next week.
    Google Pixel, Android 9.0 German, DJO 4.4.9 (1076)
    Office: Win10 x64, Outlook 365 (v2016, up to date) German, CL Express 7050 --- Local WiFi sync --- manual syncing, daily
    Home: Win10 x64, Outlook 365 (v2016, up to date) German, CL Express 7050 --- Local WiFi sync --- manual syncing, occasionally
    Syncing to native Android contacts (DJO account), not syncing to native Android calendar

DejaOffice Team Member
    If not thinking in "fixed weeks", I find it useful to be able to "move" the week day-by-day and see whats up in the next few days. Doing this on Friday for instance gives me the option of seeing a week starting from today instead of having 2 weeks to view for this, either this one until Sunday and the next one, but not together. ... could be just me ...

Good morning gentlemen.
    I am enjoying this thread from the perspective of good feedback and what is important to you both regarding this.

Having used the new approach, I really like it. It turns out you can get it to snap back to the current week based on the week settings by pressing the "Today" button in week view. I would suggest maybe adding another button that would allow you to "page" through the weeks using those same buttons, but I am happy with the glide. Oh, and at least on mine, wherever I left it when I exited with the home key, when I return, it has snapped back to this week with the right start day.

This is all week view, which I use 90% of the time.
    Sadly, I can no longer use CL or DJO as I have replaced Outlook with Thunderbird and Pimlical Desktop. Pimlical, since moving to Java 8 is no longer compatible with Companion Link. I will lurk about just because I am interested. Please let me know if the Pimlical compatibility problem ever changes and thanks to all here for your support and help over the years. This is the best software for synching Outlook to Android.

That makes total sense. Thanks!

Hmmm. I think we're still talking opposites here. My expectation in this case is:

- Drag: the display will shift by one week
    - Swipe: free-scroll until I touch the display again (or it slows down and stops by itself at some point, as I've seen some UI's do). I think I'd like it to still snap to a Sunday-to-Saturday week, though.

My reasoning on both of these is that since this is a week view, the granularity I'm interested in is the week, and for me, the week is always Sunday-to-Saturday. However, given that you don't think in fixed weeks, what you describe is internally consistent.

Perhaps what's needed is a "fixed weeks" option. With it checked, the display would behave as I've described, and with it cleared, it'd behave as you describe. The default, of course, should be to have it checked
    Rob Freundlich

DJO Version 2.5.4 (500)
    CL Version 5070
    Local WiFi Sync

It turns out you can get it to snap back to the current week based on the week settings by pressing the "Today" button in week view.
    I noticed that, too, and I like that it does that. But if you've scrolled several weeks out and want to get to a fixed week (as defined by McLion and as I'm advocating for), there's no way to do it.

I would suggest maybe adding another button that would allow you to "page" through the weeks using those same buttons, but I am happy with the glide.
    If they can't add an option to make swiping to do only fixed weeks, paging buttons would definitely be an acceptable solution. I'd prefer the option, though, since swiping is so natural a gesture now.

Oh, and at least on mine, wherever I left it when I exited with the home key, when I return, it has snapped back to this week with the right start day.
    I hadn't noticed that before, but I just checked it and it does that on mine too. Good behavior, that!
    Rob Freundlich

DJO Version 2.5.4 (500)
    CL Version 5070
    Local WiFi Sync