Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you delete/purge contacts in native database?

How do you delete/purge contacts in native database?

I want to start fresh with the native Android contacts database in my Bionic. How can I wipe/purge this database so when I start a sync with my work exchange server I'll get a new lists of contacts?

The native Contacts database syncs with exchange at my work. I am not synching DejaOffice with the native Contacts.

I've already tried going into Manage All Apps to the various "Contact" items and tried the "Clear data" buttons, but that doesn't seem to do it. My contacts are all still there. I know I'm missing something.

Thanks,

Luke
    Mobile Device and OS: Bionc, 5.9.902.XT875.Verizon.en.US, Andriod 2.3.4
    DejaOffice version#: 2.1.9 (264)
    CompanionLink build #: 5026
    Data Manager App: ACT! 6.0.3.979
    PC OS: Windows XP Media Center Edition 2002 SP3
    Sync Method: USB, Charge only, not synching Android native Contacts or Calendar

Go to manage applications, tap the All tab and scroll down to Contacts Storage. Do clear data on that item.
    After an absence, I may be back! More to come

Hi Hook,

Thanks, but as I said I already tried that (and the problem with Contacts Storage is the Clear Data button is grayed out so I can use it). There's a Force Stop button too that is active, but I wasn't sure if I should try that or not. Are you familiar with why the Clear Data button is grayed out, and/or what clicking Force Stop will do?

I really appreciate you taking time to help!

Luke

Having clear data button in Contact storage is not something I've seen. That would indicate to me the Contacts db is empty. Now I'm wondering if your phone contacts are in the Android Db, or a Verizon Db or another DB (for instance an overlay like Sense has it's own DBs). As I have only ever used vanilla Android, I may not be a lot of help after all. Sorry.

Well, thanks again for trying. My carrier is Verizon and I use their Backup Assistant (that's in My Accounts), but I always assumed the Contacts I see are in the native Andriod database.

Luke

Just to check, see if you have an app on your device called phone. That the native Android phone app which has the contacts (there is no separate contacts app). If you open it up, one of the tabs should be Contacts (the others are phone, Call log and Favorites). If you have any contacts in the Android Contacts DB, they will be on that Contacts tab.

Hi Hook,

Thanks again for your continued help. I do have the Phone app, but when I open it there are no tabs (and nothing that says Contacts, Call Log or Favorites). Like my other apps, there's a button to "Force Stop" and "Clear Data". Am I missing something? Am I on a different version of software than you have maybe?

I didn't try clicking Force Stop or Clear Data...didn't want to make things worse. If you're familiar with and think I should use Clear Data to remove the Contacts in the phone, let me know.

Luke

Sorry, I wasn't clear. It sounds like you are looking at the app listing in manage apps. Go to your app drawer if it is not already on one of your desk tops and open it. That's where you should see the Contacts tab. There may also be a "Contacts" app in the app drawer, which should open the same app, but with the Contacts tab selected.

I don't know if Motorola messes around with this vanilla Android stuff or not. Is it possible that your exchange client is not using the native contacts db?

I think you need help by someone besides me. I don't know enough about your setup.

Hook, thanks so much for trying. I'll bother you with one more question: I don't see the App Drawer in Apps or any other menus on my Bionic (I got a vanilla smartphone). If you know and can tell me specifically how to get there, I appreciate it.

If not, thanks again for all your attempts to help - you rock!

Luke

There should be a button on the row of buttons at the bottom of your home screen that looks a little like a window with 4 panes (black and white). When you tap that, it takes you to the app drawer. It's possible it has another icon, but it should be there.