Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Day view in Calendar narrowed 20%

DejaOffice Team Member
    Quote Originally Posted by formerpalmfan View Post
    Well now......I have been using "day views" in Pims going back to 1996 and the first psion pim put out........I have used other types since then and all have shown a full page view in the today view.......it is beyond me why anyone would consider this reduced size day view normal and would even be considering this a good thing........you cant even see the time of day properly in the "new" version of the today view.........please change this back to a full page view.....I would like to go back to the normal way of scrolling from day to day and actually seeing a FULL PAGE TO LOOK AT........c'mon guys, really?
    formerpalmfan....

I can't help you if I can't experience what you are seeing.

What font setting do you have for day view?
    What Android Device and what OS is installed please?

I have requested you update your signature with the requested format. This is for a very good reason. The UI of DejaOffice varies depending on the device being used.

Droid3. Windows xp
    Palm desktop USB
    Build 4020 or something in that area
    Thomas..if you can access my name I have sent this to you many times....
    Micro delightful or business size all have the 10 percent margin problem on each size
    I have tried many times and failed to figure out how to permanently put all the above info my respOnses.....tried and just can't figure it out....sorry....is the above info enough???????
    Last edited by formerpalmfan; 04-11-2012 at 08:19 AM.

Wink

Having also gone from every Psion made through all the Treos & the N900, I find the day view ok. Maybe it's because I am using the Galaxy Note & screen real-estate is not an isssue. I do think screen size is a big issue here.

I like the 10% either side as it almost encourages you to side slip a day or so when you want & it is intuitive.

Just my point of view I guess.

.. I am close to getting wet eyes when remembering my Psion Revo .. it simply was "the" PIM
    Last edited by McLion; 04-11-2012 at 09:26 AM.
    Google Pixel, Android 9.0 German, DJO 4.4.9 (1076)
    Office: Win10 x64, Outlook 365 (v2016, up to date) German, CL Express 7050 --- Local WiFi sync --- manual syncing, daily
    Home: Win10 x64, Outlook 365 (v2016, up to date) German, CL Express 7050 --- Local WiFi sync --- manual syncing, occasionally
    Syncing to native Android contacts (DJO account), not syncing to native Android calendar

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    Hello Folks,

I spoke with the CTO regarding the day view.
    He is interested in honest feedback regarding the new design.
    I found out the intention of creating the border is to visually demonstrate the user can swipe forwards and backwards to view different days. This is in alignment with consistent feedback we have gotten from new users to make DejaOffice more intuitive.

So the dev team is willing to consider feedback on this however, the specific request is for a good reason to change the current design. A compelling reason will need to be something beyond personal preference, as we have business needs to address new users being able to navigate DejaOffice effectively and easily right after downloading the app.
    Anyone trying to design a UI eventually hits a conflict between making it easy/intuitive for the new user and making it comfortable/uncluttered for the experienced user. This is a classic example of that conflict.

I think your CTO is spot on in wanting to show new users that they can swipe to change days, and the way you've chosen to do it is one good option. The popups sjamie suggested are another one.

However, as much feedback on this forum has shown, many experienced users find the stripes of yesterday/tomorrow to be clutttery (is that a word?) and a waste of space. (I will state here for full disclosure that I am one of those users, having started a thread similar to this one a while ago)

So now your company needs to decide how you are going to handle this conflict. Many, many companies handle it by ignoring the conflict and choosing to make one user or the other happy. Whichever user they choose considers the UI to be good, and whichever they don't choose considers it to be bad.

A truly good UI addresses both users via compromise, options, and/or adaptibility For example:

• compromise - find something that shows swipability without cluttering up the screen. I can't come up with a specific suggestion here. Maybe sjamie's popups?
    • options - let the user turn off the yesterday/tomorrow strips or popups
    • adaptibility - use popups or the yesterday/tomorrow strips, with an option to turn them off. After a certain number of appearances, offer to turn them off for the user.

(note: my sig is wrong - I'm running DJO 2.1.9 (264))
    Rob Freundlich

Samsung Galaxy Note 2/Android 4.1.2/Kernel Version 3.0.31-1098177
    DJO Version 2.5.4 (500)
    CL Version 5070
    Palm Desktop Version 4.1/Windows 7 64-bit
    Local WiFi Sync

This is a test to see if my sig shows
    Droid3. windows 7
    Version 2.2.11
    Build 5030
    Palm desktop
    Usb

Ok I figured it out....can you help me now?
    Droid3. windows 7
    Version 2.2.11
    Build 5030
    Palm desktop
    Usb

I have tried every font and it doesn't change the intruding margins in the day view.......
    Now what?
    Droid3. windows 7
    Version 2.2.11
    Build 5030
    Palm desktop
    Usb

DejaOffice Team Member
    I have tried every font and it doesn't change the intruding margins in the day view.......
    Now what?
    We are all going to have to wait for product changes that are on the way. I haven't seen them yet and can't speak to them directly.
    This will continue to evolve.

DejaOffice Team Member
    Now what?
    Thanks for updating your signature file.

I think you mis-understood me.
    The margin isn't going to change. The amount of text that displays in each line will be affected by the font setting.