Closed Thread

Thread: Category Management

Category Management

So I finally installed.

Here's a weird thing I noticed:
    I have about eight or nine categories in my Palm calendar.
    I have about six or seven categories in my Palm contacts.
    I have about a dozen categories in my Palm Tasks.
    I have about ten categories in my Palm Memos.

Now, some of them are the "same" - I have a "Business" in all of them and a "Personal" in all of them. (Actually I don't have a "Business" in Contacts - because I have it specified by the name of the company for whom I work!)

Anyway, whichever module I'm in - DejaContacts, DejaCalendar, whatever, and I select "Categories", it shows me ALL categories - from calendar, contacts, tasks, and DejaNotes (nee Palm Memos).

Is that right? Am I the only one that thinks that's odd?

Thanks again for all your help!

Hi rjbinney,

DejaOffice uses global categories, like Outlook does. This may be a little confusing for Palm users. One suggestion I've had from another user is to set up separate global categories for your data types as a workaround. For example, setup two categories for Personal - "Contacts - Personal" and "Calendar - Personal".

Hope this helps,

Yeah, I thought about that - it's the scrolling that kills me more than anything. So I took it as an opportunity to Clean Up My Life.

So Contacts "Record Stores", Tasks "Records to Buy", and Memos "Notes on Music" all got relabeled "Music". Etc. etc. etc.

I noticed I can select more than one category for an appointment, as well. Wonder if I'll ever feel the need to do that?

One thing that would be nice would be if I'm in Calendar view, to be able to select WHICH categories to see at a time. Just a thought.

Thanks!

In addition to Personal Contacts I use Business Contact Manager in Outlook 2007. On my desktop I assign at least 1 Category to each BCM Contact. Currently, my BCM Contacts on my HTC EVO only show the Category "BCM Contacts". How do I make the Categories of my handheld BCM Contacts mirror my Categories of my desktop BCM Contacts?

DejaOffice Team Member
    Michael, sounds like you are using CompanionLink Professional for your sync, and that you have configured BCM as the secondary database (and Outlook personal as the primary database). What this means is that all of the BCM contacts will come through with the same categorization. What you could do instead is configure BCM as the primary database, and your Outlook personal as your secondary database. In that case, your BCM contacts will come over with the appropriate categorization. You might want to contact CompanionLink tech support for help in getting this set up.

Eric, your analysis of my setup is 100% correct. What would really work for me is categorization for both databases. As you suggest, I will contact CompanionLink tech support. Thanks.

Closed Thread