Thread: Multiple entries after sync...

Multiple entries after sync...

After spending hours cleaning up my contacts and syncing with Outlook there are multiple entries in Dejaoffice....some contacts will show 4 of the same phone # but when I open to the edit screen there really is only one of that phone # showing; I can't find the other entries to delete...then after going through all the contacts and cleaning them up in Dejaoffice I did another sync thinking it would clean up in Outlook, only to find that although I had made no changes (in Outlook) immediately prior to this second sync, everything in Dejaoffice was completely screwed up...it had numerous entries again, names were added; ie, a contact with only a Company entry initially, now had the company entry and the name of the company again listed in the "first / last name" field....arrrggghhhhhh....I just want a clean Dejaoffice / Outlook address book! Would it be best to enter everything in Dejaoffice, delete everything from Outlook and then do an initial ONE WAY sync from Dejaoffice? Or is this an issue that will hopefully be resolved with an update in the near future?

Thanks!

Whatever the cause, I would suggest leaving Outlook as your primary source of contacts, calendar events, tasks, notes, etc. (or making it the primary source, if not already), and do one-way sync Outlook->Phone, until DejaOffice and CompanionLink USB are 100% and well-vetted by lots of users. I'm willing to wait that long, because I know these things take time (unfortunately, products these days are put on the market before they are anything close to bug-free, but then, maybe it's always been that way :-) ).

Best to keep things in a well-vetted product like Outlook, not do a two-way sync until your Android apps are working and have worked for a long time, then, when all is well, start doing two-way syncs. Anyway, that's my opinion on such things.

- Tim

Julie,

There shouldn't be multiple entries at all. The best way to clean is to clean Outlook, and then sync to DejaOffice.

What kind of Phone are you using? It makes quite a difference as there are many flavors of Android OS out there. In the recent trio; Vibrant, Captivate and Droid X all handle Contacts a bit differently.

Also, with the type of phone number that duplicates; what type is it? "Other", "Work", "Home" ? It may have something to do with the phone type.

An easy way to keep things clean is to sync only PC to DejaOffice. Don't sync to the native Contacts Application.

I have the Droid X - the multiple entries are in the contacts...what I mean by multiple entires is that the phone #, although only entered once in Outlook, will actually show in multiple fields within the same contact entry..i.e Work 425-123-1234 Work 4251231234 Work 425-123-1234 - same contact, multiple phones #'s. Also, multiple addresses...i.e 123 anywhere St 123 anywhere St 123 anywhere St...it just repeats itself. When I go into the contact via "edit", the phone # actually only appears once, there aren't multiple #'s to erase - but when viewing the contact entry, the multiple phone #'s are there.

I started by cleaning Outlook - I spent several hours doing so - then I completed a (two way) sync and everything was a mess in Dejaoffice - should I have done a one way sync? I thought the whole idea of a 2 way synce was that only those items that were "changed" were affected by the sync?

**update - and now after reviewing my contacts in Outlook, it appears that 90% of all the email addresses are GONE!** / I'm about to tear my hair out over this and need an answer as to how to streamline my Outlook and Dejaoffice so that both are the same; this really shouldn't be too hard a task. I did this with my Palm for years and don't recall having any issues.
    Last edited by JulieS; 07-25-2010 at 11:38 AM.

No suggestions....?

DejaOffice Team Member
    Julie, do you have a backup of your Outlook contacts that you can restore? What I would recommend doing is turning off the DejaOffice sync to the Droid X native contact/calendar databases. In DejaOffice, tap "Settings", then "Sync Settings", and make sure that "Sync with Android Contacts App" and "Sync with Android Calendar App" are unchecked. Then, once everything looks good in Outlook, run a purge and reload sync with CompanionLink. This will send the good data over to DejaOffice. If everything looks good in DejaOffice at that point, then it should be okay to run a regular two-way sync.

When you say "run a purge" are you refering to purging the information in Dejaoffice? Is there an easy way to do this?

On Companion Link Settings=>Applications, there's a checkbox to "Purge and Reload".