Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Deja Office for Android - Timeline?

Talking Deja Office for Android - Timeline?

Greetings -

I apologize if this information is posted somewhere on the web site, but I did perform a few searches and was not able to locate anything.

My question is in regard to the release date of Deja Office for the Android operating system. Is there even a tentative date being thrown around? I purchased a Motorola Droid from Verizon Wireless a month or so ago and love the phone, but the built in PIM functionality is frankly primitive when compared with my Treo 755P running the Garnet Palm OS. I feel as if I have taken a huge leap forward in phone technology, only to take a staggeringly large series of steps backwards in my ability to perform even simple PIM tasks required for my daily schedule.

Also, as I am sure many others have done, if you are looking for BETA testers for Deja Office on the Android platform I would be more than happy to lend my services!

Hi BamBam,

Welcome to the forums! Your situation is not uncommon - DejaOffice was designed to replace much of the lost functionality from your old Treo. We are getting very close to releasing DejaOffice for Android. I don't have an exact date yet, but it should be available within the next 30 days. I'll be sure to send you an email when it's ready!

Kaena -

Thanks for the information. I am looking forward to checking out the Daja Office suite when it becomes available for the Android platform with the sincere hope that it will truly replace the seamless functionality I lost when I migrated off of the Palm platform. I look forward to receiving your email when the product is available.

Kaena and BamBam, The Current release of CL USB Sync has nearly all the features of DejaOffice. We've been doing the development under a different name. At this point, our biggest mission is simply to find whether we can re-name that app in the App Marketplace.

CL USB Sync has Contacts, Calendar, Tasks, Memos, Today View and Categories. What's missing is Expenses. We just put a new release up today (Saturday April 24) and it has a series of small improvements. We will shortly be updating the CompanionLink Sync side with a substantial increase in speed, cutting Re-Sync speed for an average Outlook database under 30 seconds.

So Check out CL USB Sync in the Android App Marketplace. It's the Pre-DejaOffice release, and it's available right now.

OK, that changes things a bit from my perspective. I was under the impression that Deja Office was going to be an entirely different product rather than simply a re-name from the current CL USB Sync application (which I use now). If this is the case, and the final product for Deja Office is essentially what I have now, then I must admit that I am rather disappointed. While the CL USB Sync application has bridged the gap between my Android phone and my PC by providing basic sync functionality, there is still (for me) a rather large laundry list of items that I would like to see implemented in the final version of Deja Office before it would be at the point where I would consider it a one-to-one replacement for my old Treo PIM functionality.

Some examples of changes/fixes I would like to see:

1) Calendar event alerts are unreliable and often do not go off at all. Example: I frequently have anywhere from 4-10 events on my calendar every day for work, virtually all of which have an alert associated with them. I have found that more often than not, none of the alerts will sound throughout the day when they are supposed to - however, when I sync the device to my PC at home or if I manually add a new calendar event for that day, all previous event alerts will suddenly sound all at once (sometimes 15-20 at a time) for events that occurred days before. This is obviously troubling since I rely on these alerts for important work events, and the fact that I now can no longer do so since the alerts have proven unreliable is a growing problem. I have nearly missed several important appointments due to the simple fact that the reminder alarms have not gone off when they should have.

2) Ability to edit recurring events on the Android device. The current application has been stating "Editing of recurring events coming soon" since I first tried the product several months ago.

3) Recurring events do not always continue to appear at the designated interval after the current iteration is cleared. Example: I have a recurring task reminder to pay one of my credit cards on a specific date each month. I made the payment and cleared the entry from the "Today" list last month, but the item was completely removed from my task list both on the device and the desktop. I did not delete it, I simply cleared the current event which should have forced the next month's iteration to populate automatically.

4) The recent change to the "Today" screen to not display completed events was a welcome change, but I have noticed for some time that the "Today" screen does not properly refresh itself after completing or changing an item. Example: I modified the date on a task item earlier today (with the new update release in place), saved the change and was returned to the "Today" screen where the old date was still displayed. I then hit the "Back" button to return to the main menu, then hit "Today" again and at that point the updated date was displayed. I have noticed this behavior in multiple screens throughout the application.

5) Task and calendar reminders should be "snoozable". On the Palm, when an event triggers an alert the option to either snooze the alarm or clear it is offered each time. Also, the ability to define the default snooze duration would be nice.

6) Event reminders that are not acknowledged immediately should force a "Reminder" chirp of some kind every few minutes, then re-sound the alert after the default "snooze" period has passed to ensure that the event is noticed and acknowledged.

7) Categories have been a problem for me since day one. Although they do now transfer from the host PC, the color coding on many categories keeps getting changed back to gray regardless of how often I define a different color.

8) When changing the color of a category (see #7), calendar events are not automatically updated to the new color. The only way I have been able to make this occur is to open each event and then re-save it to update it to the new color coding.

9) The ability to filter tasks by additional criteria like "Next 7 days", "Last 7 days", "Past due" and "No due date" would be a nice addition.

10) Add the ability to force a reminder to occur a specific amount of time after a specific event has been completed. This is useful when follow-up calls or visits are necessary and does not require the creation of a new event to clutter up the task list.

11) Add birthdays as a field for contacts, and populate the birthday entry on the calendar with a definable reminder alert.

I could probably come up with quite a few more ideas, but this is probably a good example for my "wish list" items that I would like to see implemented. If some or all of these items are currently under construction for the future release, that's great. However, if there are no plans to increase the functionality to include items like these then I will unfortunately have to look elsewhere for a PIM solution. I will be honest and say that I have considered going back to the Treo simply for the PIM software. It would be a huge step backwards in terms of device functionality overall and software availability, but in the end what is important is that the device provide the specific features and tools I need to help me perform my job.

Thanks for listening. I would certainly welcome the opportunity (if you are interested) to provide additional input or work with your development group to perform testing of future versions. From reading I have done on many other websites I know I am not alone in looking for some or all of the items I detailed above, so I know they would be welcome additions to your product if they were included in a future revision.

Thanks.

That's a great list. I put all those items in the development queue. You should see action on them quickly. Many are already on my list, especially trying to make alerts more persistent. The release last Saturday should have helped that some.

If you think of more things, please list them. I'll try to put up a roadmap post this week to give the overall vision of the project. We are focused on knocking out the smaller cosmetic issues fast, but also have some very broad goals in our sights.

Actually, one cosmetic item I forgot to mention was in the edit screen for a task. I noticed in one of the recent updates that the date field directly below the "Due Date" checkbox only displays the top portion of the box. The bottom section and most of the text is not visible. It still works properly if you tap it, but visually it looks odd.

Got it! Thanks so much for the detailed notes.

We are planning a release for Wed May 5. I think about half these items will be in it. The rest got deferred down the road just a little bit.

Hi! I just bought and installed the DejaOffice for android today (5/5/10) and I'd like to request a few features.

1) In the today screen, organize the task portion by the same sorting rules as the task app. I use sort by "Due Date, Priority" in the tasks app, but in the today screen it shows up as alphabetical.

2) Color the arrows for priority (red = high, clear=none, green=low) in tasks & today.

3) In the today screen, provide left & right arrows (or some other appropriate control) to scroll to the next day. I love being able to see all tasks & calendar items for a day, but often need to look ahead at both simultaneously.

Thanks!

--Russ

Hi. Just joined after being directed here by sales support at CompanionLink. I have a new Verizon Droid Incredible that comes with some useful HTC widgets, and I'd sent her a note about the minor but irritating difficulty with easily accessing the calendar after syncing from Outlook and not being able to use the widgets. She suggested that DejaOffice might help. Sure looks like it might. Except that unlike Russ in the prior message, I can't seem to find the link to download it and try it. Is it still in beta?

Thanks -

Peter