Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why not sync (or transfer) DJO items to native apps?

Why not sync (or transfer) DJO items to native apps?

I know this has been discussed before, but I'm not up on the latest changes.

Why does DJO not allow the user to sync - or even just purge/overwrite, or add-write to native Contacts and Calendar apps, without having to run a sync process with computer/cloud/whatever?

You know... an entry in settings like "Push DJO contacts to native contacts" and "Push DJO calendar to native calendar"? It doesn't have to be as complex or "correct" as syncing; pushing would be sufficient, because then at least some linkages that are missing from DJO would be available, even if the contacts weren't a perfect match/perfectly synced.

Is there any way to do this on the device without doing a sync? If not, why not?

- Tim
    Sony XZ2 Compact - Android 8.0 (stock)
    DejaOffice v4.4.8, build 1072 - CompanionLink Professional 8, Build 8018
    Outlook 2010 - CL Sync : Outlook <-(WiFi)-> Android

Hi Tim,

If you have sync with the native contacts/calendar enabled, all changes made in DejaOffice will automatically push to the native apps.

If you make changes in the native apps, there is a button on the DejaOffice home screen called "Read Android Data" that you can tap to manually read changes from the native contacts (this happens automatically during a PC sync). Note that with the new changes in DejaOffice 2.2.7 (just released), the Read Android Data button will not appear if you have selected to use the new "DejaOffice" native account to sync with, because those changes are synced automatically.

Kaena...

I understand, but what I want to do is do a mass copying (locally) of all contacts and/or calendar items in DJO to the native contacts/calendar app. That is, DJO->Native Apps (I do not want to read changes from the native apps, but the opposite, push DJO data to the native apps).

I want to do this on demand, NOT at sync time with CompanionLink (which I own, but don't want to always have to depend on), and not just changes I make to a given record in DJO. ALL records from DJO->Native Apps, and initiated on the phone itself, NOT during sync with another data source.

Is this possible, and if so, how? And if not, why not?

If not, I'm assuming it's because it's a way of getting people to buy CompanionLink, but it otherwise could be done (i.e. it's an artificial restriction placed on the app)?

- Tim
    Last edited by tbessie; 08-15-2012 at 05:15 PM.
    Sony XZ2 Compact - Android 8.0 (stock)
    DejaOffice v4.4.8, build 1072 - CompanionLink Professional 8, Build 8018
    Outlook 2010 - CL Sync : Outlook <-(WiFi)-> Android

I think, actually, this would be a nice feature to have, even if, as Tim said, what appeared in the native data bases was an imperfect copy of the Deja Office data. It would allow other apps to access the data, including being able to draw upon the vast library of widgets in Google Play. And being able to select "push only" (DJO overwrites Android, if you will) would prevent the problems introduced by these native Android data bases (the Contacts one isn't bad, but the Calendar one is awful) would prevent Deja Office data from getting infected, or, worse, infecting the CRM on the desktop.

I vote for adding this feature. :-)
    Sadly, I can no longer use CL or DJO as I have replaced Outlook with Thunderbird and Pimlical Desktop. Pimlical, since moving to Java 8 is no longer compatible with Companion Link. I will lurk about just because I am interested. Please let me know if the Pimlical compatibility problem ever changes and thanks to all here for your support and help over the years. This is the best software for synching Outlook to Android.

I've had a few situations in the past month in which I discovered discrepancies between Android contacts and DJO contacts, and would have loved having a "Push DJO contacts to Android" function.

If you know of a specific contact mismatch, there is a workaround: edit the contact in Outlook to add bogus info into the note field, synch, remove the bogus info, synch again. But this leaves me with the uneasy feeling that there may be even more Android contacts, yet to be discovered accidentally by me, which have not been refreshed with the latest version that I keep in DJO.

Tim said it very well in his post at 08-15-2012, 05:46 PM

Thank you for considering this enhancement request!
    (2014-10-18) CompanionLink for Outlook v6.0.0.0 build 6030
    DJO 3.1.3 build 651
    DejaConnect ADB 9/05/2012 build 113

Sync via DejaConnect USB
    Sync with native contacts, but not with native calendar, via "DejaOffice" contact account

Win7 Pro 64-bit, with Outlook 2013
    Samsung Galaxy s4 SCH-i545 Verizon Wireless
    Android version 4.4.2

DejaOffice Team Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandWazoo View Post
    I've had a few situations in the past month in which I discovered discrepancies between Android contacts and DJO contacts, and would have loved having a "Push DJO contacts to Android" function.

If you know of a specific contact mismatch, there is a workaround: edit the contact in Outlook to add bogus info into the note field, synch, remove the bogus info, synch again. But this leaves me with the uneasy feeling that there may be even more Android contacts, yet to be discovered accidentally by me, which have not been refreshed with the latest version that I keep in DJO.

Tim said it very well in his post at 08-15-2012, 05:46 PM

Thank you for considering this enhancement request!
    Grand Wazoo,

The long term fix we are implementing is to sync to the "DejaOffice" Account option now. There are too many variables to manage syncing with native accounts, Android Settings, and Sync Android settings to ever get it all right for everyone on every device.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    Grand Wazoo,

The long term fix we are implementing is to sync to the "DejaOffice" Account option now. There are too many variables to manage syncing with native accounts, Android Settings, and Sync Android settings to ever get it all right for everyone on every device.
    Well, for the life of me, I can't get the DejaOffice account to do anything on either of my devices, although I have focused on my phone device since I don't really need "native contacts" on a non-phone tablet device. I have gone into accounts to check the "Sync Contacts" box. I have also checked the box in "Sync Settings" to "Sync With Android Contacts App." I have gone to the Android contacts app and selected "Display Options" and checked the box for "All Contacts" under the DejaOffice listing in "Choose Contacts To Display." They never show up in my contacts app. I even tried doing a new sync and "Rereading DejaCloud."

What am I missing? Is there a howto?
    Sadly, I can no longer use CL or DJO as I have replaced Outlook with Thunderbird and Pimlical Desktop. Pimlical, since moving to Java 8 is no longer compatible with Companion Link. I will lurk about just because I am interested. Please let me know if the Pimlical compatibility problem ever changes and thanks to all here for your support and help over the years. This is the best software for synching Outlook to Android.

Quote Originally Posted by Hook View Post
    Well, for the life of me, I can't get the DejaOffice account to do anything on either of my devices, although I have focused on my phone device since I don't really need "native contacts" on a non-phone tablet device. I have gone into accounts to check the "Sync Contacts" box. I have also checked the box in "Sync Settings" to "Sync With Android Contacts App." I have gone to the Android contacts app and selected "Display Options" and checked the box for "All Contacts" under the DejaOffice listing in "Choose Contacts To Display." They never show up in my contacts app. I even tried doing a new sync and "Rereading DejaCloud."

What am I missing? Is there a howto?
    I asked the same question a week or so ago but ended up figuring out a solution on my own. No clue whether it's the right one, but here's what I did.

First, I deleted all of my native contacts. Because I'm on a Droid running Android 2.3, this was a pain in the neck (they've turned off the "Delete Data" option for "Stored Contacts"). Ultimately, I downloaded an app from Google Play called "Delete All Contacts", which worked like a charm. (note that I don't have any Google contacts or any others that I want to keep. All of my contacts are in Palm Desktop/DJO)

Then I made sure I had a good copy of my DJO data in Palm on my desktop, including a backup of THAT, in case things went bad.

Next I reconfigured DJO on the Droid to use the new DJO account.

Then I changed CompanionLink on the desktop to use DejaConnect (I wanted to switch to that at the same time so I could also sync to my Kindle), set the "purge device and reload" option (or whatever it's called now - I'm not on the computer I run CL on, so I can't check it), and ran the sync. This took a long time.

When it was done, I verified my data. It was still in Palm Desktop, was in DJO, and the contacts were visible in the native app via the DJO account.

(Then, just for kicks, I tried syncing my Kindle as well. It also worked. You haven't said you're trying this, but it does seem to work - you truly can sync multiple devices via DejaConnect USB. Sweet!)
    Rob Freundlich

Samsung Galaxy Note 2/Android 4.1.2/Kernel Version 3.0.31-1098177
    DJO Version 2.5.4 (500)
    CL Version 5070
    Palm Desktop Version 4.1/Windows 7 64-bit
    Local WiFi Sync

Quote Originally Posted by RobFreundlich View Post
    I asked the same question a week or so ago but ended up figuring out a solution on my own. No clue whether it's the right one, but here's what I did.

First, I deleted all of my native contacts. Because I'm on a Droid running Android 2.3, this was a pain in the neck (they've turned off the "Delete Data" option for "Stored Contacts"). Ultimately, I downloaded an app from Google Play called "Delete All Contacts", which worked like a charm. (note that I don't have any Google contacts or any others that I want to keep. All of my contacts are in Palm Desktop/DJO)

Then I made sure I had a good copy of my DJO data in Palm on my desktop, including a backup of THAT, in case things went bad.

Next I reconfigured DJO on the Droid to use the new DJO account.

Then I changed CompanionLink on the desktop to use DejaConnect (I wanted to switch to that at the same time so I could also sync to my Kindle), set the "purge device and reload" option (or whatever it's called now - I'm not on the computer I run CL on, so I can't check it), and ran the sync. This took a long time.

When it was done, I verified my data. It was still in Palm Desktop, was in DJO, and the contacts were visible in the native app via the DJO account.

(Then, just for kicks, I tried syncing my Kindle as well. It also worked. You haven't said you're trying this, but it does seem to work - you truly can sync multiple devices via DejaConnect USB. Sweet!)
    The only thing that you did that I haven't tried is using DejaConnect. Is this tied to one particular syncing method? Maybe. DejaCloud doesn't directly purge the device and maybe the purge isneeded to push the contacts. When you say "configured DJO to use the new DJO account, is that anything different from checking the box under sync options? I'll play around some more tonight, though maybe I'll get an answer.

Deleting native contacts is easy. Just go to manage Applications, select the all tab and find "Contacts Storage." Delete data and you are done.

The only thing that you did that I haven't tried is using DejaConnect. Is this tied to one particular syncing method? Maybe. DejaCloud doesn't directly purge the device and maybe the purge isneeded to push the contacts. When you say "configured DJO to use the new DJO account, is that anything different from checking the box under sync options? I'll play around some more tonight, though maybe I'll get an answer.
    DejaConnect USB is one of the preferred options, the other being DejaCloud. I don't think this is required to use the new DJO Account, though. I switched to it for the multi-device capabilities.

As for configuring DJO to use the new DJO account, go into DJO Settings -> Sync Settings, and then under "Contact Account", select "DejaOffice" instead of "Phone" or "Google", or whatever.

Deleting native contacts is easy. Just go to manage Applications, select the all tab and find "Contacts Storage." Delete data and you are done.
    That's supposed to work, except that on Android 2.3 (or possibly Droid X, specifically), that button is disabled. See this post for details. I tried the "clear data" button on "Contacts" instead, as a later post in that thread suggests, and it didn't work either. Luckily, the Delete All Contacts app it suggests worked like a charm.
    Rob Freundlich

Samsung Galaxy Note 2/Android 4.1.2/Kernel Version 3.0.31-1098177
    DJO Version 2.5.4 (500)
    CL Version 5070
    Palm Desktop Version 4.1/Windows 7 64-bit
    Local WiFi Sync