Thread: Phantom Categories

Phantom Categories

I have some categories that have phantom duplicates, these have the same name as the originals yet may have a different colour associated with them. I have tried everything I can think of to get rid of them, if I delete them they come back when I exit/relaunch DejaOffice. The duplicate categories have no DejaOffice items linked to them, I have removed all links to them in sync settings and it appears these are being generated by the DejaOffice app rather than via the sync settings. I can change the colour of these duplicate categories and remove any association with them to any DejaOffice modules and they stay recorded like that, but as soon as I delete them they reappear upon exit with the default android module links restored. None of these duplicates are synchronised to Outlook, only the originals remain there. Some, but not all of theses categories I created exclusively in DejaOffice.

DejaOffice allows the merging of duplicate contacts, appointments etc, but not categories.

I want rid of them!
    Tablet: Archos 101 G9 Turbo ICS
    Phone: HTC Sensation XL ICS
    DejaOffice version# 2.2.11
    CompanionLink build # 5036
    Data Manager App Outlook: 2010
    Sync Method with CompanionLink: DejaCloud
    DejaOffice Sync Settings for Contacts: Native Android
    DejaOffice Sync Settings for Calendar: DejaOffice

Well I created another category this morning on my tablet and it duplicated before I even did a synch, so there must be something amiss with the local setup.

Edit: The tablet was brand new last week so the first edition of DejaOffice installed was 2.2.9. The duplicate above occurred after I had upgraded to 2.2.10

^^^ BUMP ^^^

Well it doesn't look like anyone from DejaOffice/Companion link cares , but for anyone else out there this problem occurs on either of the Android devices and the Categories become duplicated when exiting out of the application.

Definitely seems to be a bug in the program. I guess I'll either have to find a way to work around this or look for another product.

DejaOffice Team Member
    Quote Originally Posted by omneity View Post
    Well it doesn't look like anyone from DejaOffice/Companion link cares , but for anyone else out there this problem occurs on either of the Android devices and the Categories become duplicated when exiting out of the application.

Definitely seems to be a bug in the program. I guess I'll either have to find a way to work around this or look for another product.
    omnetity,

Apologies for not responding to this more quickly.

Since you are NOT using these categories in Outlook that makes things a bit more complicated.
    The fastest way to fix this (perhaps not the most convenient) is to do a Wipe all records on Android before Sync and then add the new Categories again. That could theoretically be very inconvenient for you however.

What specific settings have you configured to keep these categories out of Outlook on your PC?

Hi Thomas,

I am using categories in Outlook, but this is not where the problem is happening, even when I completely turn off synchronisation on my Android devices the problem occurs, so I believe the problem to be with the Android app rather than with the synchronisation procedure.

What I have found is that if I delete the originally assigned category after the phantom category one has been created, the duplicates do not usually reappear. However, because removing the original category leaves tasks/events without assigned categories I have to go back and manually reassign them. This works OK until I get to the last unassigned task when DejaOffice force-closes. I have replicated this scenario several times and it always force-closes on the last task/event. I have also noticed that the duplicated categories would appear if I left the original category assignments and exited DejaOffice via the exit button.

So as a workaround when wanting to create a new category without getting this duplication I have to create the category in DejaOffice and then immediately exit out of the app before going back in and assigning any tasks/events to the new category. Likewise, if a duplicate is created using a category already assigned I need to delete the original category and thus remove its associated links to DejaOffice entities and then create them using the newly created duplicate category. To this end the newly created category is always the first of the two in the category list.

This scenario is the same on both my Android tablet and Android phone, both of which are running Ice Cream Sandwich.

I hope this makes sense, it's taken me a good while of trial-and-error to work out when this bug is occurring.