Thread: Bug report: DejaTask due date syncs +1 day overnight

Bug report: DejaTask due date syncs +1 day overnight

Strange situation that took me a while to figure out. I thought I was selecting the wrong date, but now I'm sure I didn't. Here's the sequence of what has happened:
    1. I had a task due yesterday 8/30
    2. Last night, in the task list view I tapped on the due date, then tapped on "Change Due Date" (great feature, by the way)
    3. I tapped on the next day in the calendar pop up, 8/31
    4. I did not synchronize with CompanionLink/Palm Desktop.
    5. I turned the phone off for the night (all this was before midnight.)
    6. Turned the phone on this morning.
    7. Synchronized when I got to work.
    8. Palm Desktop showed the task with it's due date +1 day, that is 9/1 NOT today 8/31.

I do not have the task setting "Automatically roll over overdue tasks" selected. I do not use the feature to "Roll Over Overdue."

This same thing has happened to me several times on several tasks and until now I thought I was just selecting the wrong date.

- Al D.
    T-Mobile Gravity Smart SGH-T589
    Android 2.2.2
    DejaOffice 2.2.9
    CompanionLink Build 5036
    Palm Desktop 4.2
    USB sync both ways
    No syncing with Android Contacts and Calendar

Clarification

I did some experimenting and found syncing and powering off and overnight have nothing to do with it. Just by tapping the due date in list view, tapping "Change due date" and selecting a new date, it just changes to the day AFTER the date selected. Definitely a bug.

Time zone?

Definitely has something to do with the time of day... When I change the due date of a task to the next day in the morning, the function works correctly. But when I do the same actions at night, the task due date jumps one day past the due date I select on the month calendar. Could it be affected by time zone, thinking that it's already the next day? I am in Eastern Standard Time Zone, I don't travel, and I have TIME ZONE SHIFT set to NO.

DejaOffice Team Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Al D. View Post
    Definitely has something to do with the time of day... When I change the due date of a task to the next day in the morning, the function works correctly. But when I do the same actions at night, the task due date jumps one day past the due date I select on the month calendar. Could it be affected by time zone, thinking that it's already the next day? I am in Eastern Standard Time Zone, I don't travel, and I have TIME ZONE SHIFT set to NO.
    Al D,

Please make sure the following settings "MATCH" on your PC and your Android Device:
    Date/Time
    Time Zone
    Daylight savings Settings

Also,
    Please update to DejaOffice 2.2.11 and check if the behavior occurs with the new version.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    Al D,

Please make sure the following settings "MATCH" on your PC and your Android Device:
    Date/Time
    Time Zone
    Daylight savings Settings

Also,
    Please update to DejaOffice 2.2.11 and check if the behavior occurs with the new version.
    Thomas,

Settings on phone and PC do indeed match and are accurate. I installed DJO 2.2.11 and the bug still occurs. At 5pm EDT today, the date selection was correct. But at 9:15pm just now, any task I change the due date on using the method previously described jumps to the next day.

- Al D.

Just did a test. At 7:56pm EDT the function worked correctly. But at exactly 8:00, the task jumped to the day after the one I selected. And wouldn't you know... my time zone is -4 hours from GMT. So it seems the date selection is overridden by GMT time and date.

I should mention, that if I change a task's due date from the task edit screen, then it always works correctly no matter what time of day I change it.

DejaOffice Team Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Al D. View Post
    I should mention, that if I change a task's due date from the task edit screen, then it always works correctly no matter what time of day I change it.
    Al D,

I want to make sure I am understanding this correctly. Changing the task in DejaOffice is not the problem. The problem occurs when you sync the edited Due Date info to Palm Desktop. Is that correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    Al D,

I want to make sure I am understanding this correctly. Changing the task in DejaOffice is not the problem. The problem occurs when you sync the edited Due Date info to Palm Desktop. Is that correct?
    Thomas,

No, that's not correct. It's totally in DejaOffice and has nothing to do with syncing (contrary to my initial thoughts and title of this thread). In the DJTasks "list view," I tap on the due date and options pop up to "Change Status" and "Change Due Date." I tap "Change Due Date" and pick a new date from the calendar popup. If it's after 8:00pm EDT, the new due date for the task is one day AFTER the date I selected on the calendar.

The other way I change the due date of a task is to edit the task, scroll down, tap the due date button, pick a new date from the calendar popup, tap the check mark to save, tap the back button to get back to the list view. Obviously that is more time consuming, but the thing is, the date is always right doing it that way. So it's only the new "Change Due Date" feature that has the problem.

Sincerely,
    Al D.