Thread: Trouble syncing DJO to Outlook BCM CompanionLink when DJO is installed on SD Card

Trouble syncing DJO to Outlook BCM CompanionLink when DJO is installed on SD Card

QUESTION: Is it impossible to sync DejaOffice and Outlook via CompanionLink Express using USB if DJO is installed on SD Card?

My Environment:
    * LG Ally (Verizon smart phone)
    * DejaOffice 2.33
    * CompanionLink Express 5.0 (build 5036)
    * Sync via Direct USB Connection
    * Outlook 2010 with Business Contact Manager
    * Windows Vista Home Premium

My Problem:
    I've been using both DejaOffice and CompanionLink Express for a few years. I sync DJO contacts to my Outlook 2010 Business Contact Manager contacts and DJO calendar entries with my Outlook calendar. I've used it successfully in the past.

Recently my LG Ally's internal storage was full and I noticed that I could move the DJO application to SD Card. I did, which freed up almost 7MB of internal storage.

But now I have a problem syncing. I think it is because DejaOffice needs my SD Card to be unmounted when it transfers data but mounted when it performs the sync operation.

I start the sync via DJO and watch CL start its side of the process of gathering data from Outlook and the phone. During that process, the phone's SD Card is unmounted. Then when I get the notification to click OK on the phone to tell DJO to begin syncing, the SD Card is still unmounted so the application is unavailable.

For some reason that I can't figure, if I simply try to go into my Android settings to mount the card, I only see "Insert CD Card to mount" (that's probably not the exact wording - can't check right now). The only thing I can do is unplug the USB cable and plug it back in to remount the SD card.

At that point, I don't see DJO asking me to sync. If I start the DJO sync app at that point, I just begin the process all over again.

What can/should I do?
    Last edited by Nebulous; 12-08-2012 at 05:19 AM.

BUMP...

[I feel a sense of urgency because I need to rebuild my BCM contact database after a PC problem I encountered. I planned to restore them from DJO as that is where I consistently synced them]

Thanks for any assistance you can provide,!

DejaOffice Team Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nebulous View Post
    QUESTION: Is it impossible to sync DejaOffice and Outlook via CompanionLink Express using USB if DJO is installed on SD Card?

My Environment:
    * LG Ally (Verizon smart phone)
    * DejaOffice 2.33
    * CompanionLink Express 5.0 (build 5036)
    * Sync via Direct USB Connection
    * Outlook 2010 with Business Contact Manager
    * Windows Vista Home Premium

My Problem:
    I've been using both DejaOffice and CompanionLink Express for a few years. I sync DJO contacts to my Outlook 2010 Business Contact Manager contacts and DJO calendar entries with my Outlook calendar. I've used it successfully in the past.

Recently my LG Ally's internal storage was full and I noticed that I could move the DJO application to SD Card. I did, which freed up almost 7MB of internal storage.

But now I have a problem syncing. I think it is because DejaOffice needs my SD Card to be unmounted when it transfers data but mounted when it performs the sync operation.

I start the sync via DJO and watch CL start its side of the process of gathering data from Outlook and the phone. During that process, the phone's SD Card is unmounted. Then when I get the notification to click OK on the phone to tell DJO to begin syncing, the SD Card is still unmounted so the application is unavailable.

For some reason that I can't figure, if I simply try to go into my Android settings to mount the card, I only see "Insert CD Card to mount" (that's probably not the exact wording - can't check right now). The only thing I can do is unplug the USB cable and plug it back in to remount the SD card.

At that point, I don't see DJO asking me to sync. If I start the DJO sync app at that point, I just begin the process all over again.

What can/should I do?
    Nebulous,

Check the SYnc Settings in DejaOffice.
    Settings>Sync Settings.

Is it set to DejaConnect USB, or Direct USB Mass Storage mode?

What OS version is installed on your LG Ally?

Please advise.

Thomas -

Thanks for the reply.

It is set to Direct USB (Mass Storage) and I'm on Android 2.2.2.

~N

DejaOffice Team Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nebulous View Post
    Thomas -

Thanks for the reply.

It is set to Direct USB (Mass Storage) and I'm on Android 2.2.2.

~N
    USB Mass Storage mode Sync will not work unless DejaOffice is installed in internal memory.
    Some options you may consider are:
    Switch to a different Sync method - DejaConnect USB, DejaCloud, or WiFi Sync should work fine in this situation.

Install DejaOfice into internal memory and Sync via USB Mass Storage mode.

Best
    Thomas

Thomas -

Thanks again. I wasn't even aware of DejaConnect USB until now. Must have snuck into a version upgrade when I didn't read the version log. Can you give me a very high-level description of how it differs from USB Mass Storage?

I would like to make a strong suggestion that you disable the USB Mass Storage option when DJO is installed on a card, or in some way show that it will not work? I spent a lot of time trying to make it work before I realized the problem may be me moving the app to SD Card. I would have greatly appreciated knowing ahead of time.

One other quick related question: I been told by CL support staff in the past that switching between USB and WiFi, for instance, can compromise the integrity of my data. Would switching between Direct USB and DejaConnect USB have a similar problem or would it be safe? Remember, since my Business Contact Manager contacts database has problems and needs recreated, the storage in DJO is my only good copythat I want to use to restore BCM. I don't want to lose it.

Thanks,

~N