Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Syncing modified recurring appointments

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2

    Syncing modified recurring appointments

    Hi,

    I have recently started using an Android device and have successfully installed DejaOffice and Companion Link.

    However, in Outlook I have a number of weekly recurring appointments to which, from time to time, I have to make slight alterations.

    When I do a sync after such a modification, the whole appointment goes missing on the Android.

    Any idea what is going on and how I can put it right?

    Thanks.

    Stephen Carter

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    8

    Modified events/series not syncing properly

    I too have experienced the same......for the past 6 weeks. Got no response in the forum, submitted a log file and am
    waiting to hear back.

    Below is a description of the problems

    In Outlook I have LUNCH - as a recurring appt @12-1pm Tues/Wed./Thurs./Fri.
    I edit each as a seperate appt - by putting in the person and location.
    Sync - REMOVED each of the lunch appts in DJO

    In Outlook the same occurred for 3:15-3:45 appt. name SC except it noted the edit
    for the first SC(Wed)and showed up in DJO with the correct data but again Thurs & Fri.
    disappeared

    The same occured for an appt. called Records @6:45 - it disappeared/deleted in DJO

    -----------
    THe edits that did occurr properly were the appts. labeled FS @9 am & 1:15 Wed thru Sat.
    as well as PT/WT & Hosp

    I have tried deleting the ENTIRE SERIES of recurring appointments and starting again, still I
    have the same problem.

    Also, I have gone into outlook opening each recurring appointment that did not sync and added
    a character to change it again and this seems to work sometimes and the appt. will show up in DJO with
    the added character.

    I know the program works as I was using it wonderfully being able to sync my data but for over a month
    it is causing more problems than I have time to work on. I truly appreciate your help in trying to get this
    solved. I am still having serious difficulty!

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    134
    I am surprised that there has not been a reply to this post. I, too, have some concerns regarding the handling of recurring items (tasks & events), but I can't yet put my finger on what seems to be the problem. What I do see is a monthly recurring event somehow changed to a weekly event within DejaOffice and I'm not sure how that has happened. As soon as I can develop a specific example, I will post back to this forum.

  4. #4
    DejaOffice Team Member Belinda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    222
    Quote Originally Posted by DLP View Post
    I too have experienced the same......for the past 6 weeks. Got no response in the forum, submitted a log file and am
    waiting to hear back.

    Below is a description of the problems

    In Outlook I have LUNCH - as a recurring appt @12-1pm Tues/Wed./Thurs./Fri.
    I edit each as a seperate appt - by putting in the person and location.
    Sync - REMOVED each of the lunch appts in DJO

    In Outlook the same occurred for 3:15-3:45 appt. name SC except it noted the edit
    for the first SC(Wed)and showed up in DJO with the correct data but again Thurs & Fri.
    disappeared

    The same occured for an appt. called Records @6:45 - it disappeared/deleted in DJO

    -----------
    THe edits that did occurr properly were the appts. labeled FS @9 am & 1:15 Wed thru Sat.
    as well as PT/WT & Hosp

    I have tried deleting the ENTIRE SERIES of recurring appointments and starting again, still I
    have the same problem.

    Also, I have gone into outlook opening each recurring appointment that did not sync and added
    a character to change it again and this seems to work sometimes and the appt. will show up in DJO with
    the added character.

    I know the program works as I was using it wonderfully being able to sync my data but for over a month
    it is causing more problems than I have time to work on. I truly appreciate your help in trying to get this
    solved. I am still having serious difficulty!
    DLP -

    Can you please update your signature with your device model, the version of DejaOffice you're using, build of CompanionLink and what sync method you use?

    Also, do you sync with the Android calendar?

    Does this only affect recurring events where you have made edits to individual instances?

    This has been reported by a few users - but for some reason, we can't find a way to reproduce. With your details we'll look into the issue further & hopefully have a resolution soon.

    -Belinda

  5. #5
    DejaOffice Team Member Belinda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    222
    Quote Originally Posted by bmac View Post
    I am surprised that there has not been a reply to this post. I, too, have some concerns regarding the handling of recurring items (tasks & events), but I can't yet put my finger on what seems to be the problem. What I do see is a monthly recurring event somehow changed to a weekly event within DejaOffice and I'm not sure how that has happened. As soon as I can develop a specific example, I will post back to this forum.
    Hi bmac -

    This seems like a different issue from what the other two users in the thread are experiencing...

    If you can include your specific information (version number, device, sync method) in your reply, we'll be able to help better/faster. So many times the issues are related to one specific element in your sync setup - so knowing that cuts problem solving time down by a lot.

    Thanks -

    -Belinda

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    134
    Thanks for the response. I am synchronizing through DejaOffice cloud from Microsoft Outlook 2010 to DejaOffice android version 2.3.5 (Samsung Galaxy Note). I have many recurring tasks in Microsoft outlook. Some are weekly but most are monthly. While I can't be specific at this point, every now and then I find a task in DejaOffice android that should be monthly recurring but has mysteriously turned to weekly.

    I have wondered if this happens because the recurrence configuration in DejaOffice android is different than in Microsoft Outlook. For example, Outlook allows the user to configure a monthly event to occur on the first Tuesday. While this exact wording is not used in DejaOffice android, the closest is "monthly by day" and I must assume that that will pick the first Tuesday if that event is being manually configured within DejaOffice android on a Tuesday which happens to be the first one of the month. Why could not DejaOffice android use the same recurrence configuration logic as found in Outlook?

  7. #7
    DejaOffice Team Member Belinda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    222
    Quote Originally Posted by bmac View Post
    Thanks for the response. I am synchronizing through DejaOffice cloud from Microsoft Outlook 2010 to DejaOffice android version 2.3.5 (Samsung Galaxy Note). I have many recurring tasks in Microsoft outlook. Some are weekly but most are monthly. While I can't be specific at this point, every now and then I find a task in DejaOffice android that should be monthly recurring but has mysteriously turned to weekly.

    I have wondered if this happens because the recurrence configuration in DejaOffice android is different than in Microsoft Outlook. For example, Outlook allows the user to configure a monthly event to occur on the first Tuesday. While this exact wording is not used in DejaOffice android, the closest is "monthly by day" and I must assume that that will pick the first Tuesday if that event is being manually configured within DejaOffice android on a Tuesday which happens to be the first one of the month. Why could not DejaOffice android use the same recurrence configuration logic as found in Outlook?
    bmac -

    It is not that we use different logic from Outlook, but simply different wording. DejaOffice doesn't synchronize with only Outlook - so I believe the choice of phrasing was to be general enough for non-Outlook users, too.

    Are the tasks edited in Outlook, as well? How often does this happen? Are other patterns - weekly, daily - affected as well?

    Thanks -

    -Belinda

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    134
    yes, most usually the tasks originate in Outlook. I am going to do some testing to see if I can reproduce this error. This morning I was updating my tasks on the android device and noticed again that tasks that should have been monthly showed up as having weekly recurrence.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    134
    I have submitted a support ticket as I have easily duplicated this situation. It is quite annoying to create a recurring task -- let's say for a monthly recurrence -- and then a couple of days later see that it's recurring every week. Somehow DejaOffice android is misinterpreting information from Outlook because it's certainly not Outlook that is doing this. I never had this issue before using companionlink and DejaOffice

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2

    Exclamation

    I am also having this issue. Nearly all of my appointments are set up (originally in Outlook) as repeating events. I frequently need to change the times of these events. I did this quite successfully with my iPhone/iTunes but have yet to find software that handles it for my new Galaxy S4.

    When changing the times in Outlook, they are removed completely from my phone and no amount of syncing or modifying will get them to reappear. Needless to say, this has caused some serious problems, as many of my appointments are missing and I have to constantly manually re-enter them in my phone, which are then synced to Outlook as duplicates, and it is just a whole hot mess. Very frustrating and very disappointing.

    CompanionLink Professional 5, build 5040
    MS Outlook 2010, 64 bit
    Samsung Galaxy S4 (verizon) Android version 4.2.2
    syncing over wifi

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •