+ Reply to Thread

Thread: how to get phone to use deja for contacts?

Question how to get phone to use deja for contacts?

Sorry if this topic has been covered before. I can't figure out how to tell my phone to use Deja Contacts as its contacts. When someone calls me I see their number, but not the name of who is calling, even though I have them in Deja Contacts. I have an HTC MyTouch Slide with Android version 2.3.4, HTC Sense version 3.0.
    Thanks,
    Jennifer

You can't tell the phone to use Deja contacts. Phone (and other apps) are (mostly) only able to use the native Android contact database.
    The solution is to have Deja synchronize its data with the native Android data. This is a built-in function in Deja and can be activated in its settings. Look for Sync Settings, this is the same place where you setup the syncing methot to sync with your PIM on the PC (if you do so). Activate "Sync with Android Contacts app" and select the approriate account (DejaOffice suggested).
    Please note that if you do not select the DejaOffice and select an account that already has contacts in it, it will merge all contacts from this account with the DejaOffice contacts. Also, do not use an account that is synced to some other place like Google or alike since this can (and will!) lead to duplicates.
    Google Pixel, Android 9.0 German, DJO 4.4.9 (1076)
    Office: Win10 x64, Outlook 365 (v2016, up to date) German, CL Express 7050 --- Local WiFi sync --- manual syncing, daily
    Home: Win10 x64, Outlook 365 (v2016, up to date) German, CL Express 7050 --- Local WiFi sync --- manual syncing, occasionally
    Syncing to native Android contacts (DJO account), not syncing to native Android calendar

account selection?

Can you explain a bit more about this account selection thing? All was working well for me until I had to get a replacement (Android, Razrmaxx) phone. Now I have duplicates all over the place, lost my Favorites, don't have phone numbers in my Deja Contacts, don't have the right contacts in my Android contacts, all my Android phone numbers in my Chaos Intellect program on my computer where I don't want them - a mess.

But this phone just died! So now I'll probably have a chance to start over when I get a new phone. So I'd love a more detailed explanation of the outcome from each sync and accounts choice, if possible.

Thanks!
    Kathy

Motorola Droid RazrMaxx (Android 4.0.4)
    DJO 2.3.5
    Companionlink 5048
    ACT ???
    Local Wi-Fi Sync
    Syncs to Android Contacts App

Kathy -

This page explains a little more about how the sync with Android contacts works:

http://www.companionlink.com/support...d_applications

Thanks -

-Belinda

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda View Post
    Kathy -

This page explains a little more about how the sync with Android contacts works:

Hi, Belinda,

Thanks for this link - it's helpful, to a point. But it leaves a few things unclear (at least to me).

First, if I am *not* syncing my Google account to the cloud, is there any problem with using my Google account as the sync account for my contacts? I understand that the article says it'll be faster to use the DJO account, but will it hurt anything to use the Google account if I'm willing to take the speed hit? The reason I ask this is that the Google account includes a "phonetic spelling" field that Google Voice Search (or whatever it's called) uses to do voice matches to contacts, and my wife's name doesn't match its phonetic spelling. I've filled in the "nickname" field in DJO so that Samsung's S-Voice will find it, but Google Voice Search won't use the nickname as an alternative - only the phonetic spelling field. Since DJO account contacts aren't editable from the native contacts app, I can't add a phonetic spelling, and thus I can't use Google Voice Search. (an alternate solution would, of course, be for DJO to add a phonetic spelling field)

First-and-a-half: Same question for syncing the calendar to the Google account

Second, if I create a contact in the native app (using the synced-to account), at what point is it supposed to show up in DJO contacts? I feel like sometimes it shows up immediately, and sometimes it waits until I sync to my desktop.

Second-and-a-half: Same question for creating a calendar event in the native app

Third (I asked this in another posting, but it seems relevant to this one, so I'll repeat it here), when I receive a contact in via NFC/S-Beam, my phone asks which account to put it in, and the DJO account isn't one of the options. This is another driver for wanting to sync with a different account. But an alternate solution would be to understand why the DJO account doesn't show up and to fix that problem.

Third-and-a-half: I haven't tried an NFC/S-Beam on the calendar, but I bet it has the same problem.

Fourth, the Samsung calendar app supports tasks. Is there any way to sync those tasks and DJO tasks?
    Rob Freundlich

Samsung Galaxy Note 2/Android 4.1.2/Kernel Version 3.0.31-1098177
    DJO Version 2.5.4 (500)
    CL Version 5070
    Palm Desktop Version 4.1/Windows 7 64-bit
    Local WiFi Sync

Quote Originally Posted by RobFreundlich View Post
    Hi, Belinda,

Thanks for this link - it's helpful, to a point. But it leaves a few things unclear (at least to me).

First, if I am *not* syncing my Google account to the cloud, is there any problem with using my Google account as the sync account for my contacts? I understand that the article says it'll be faster to use the DJO account, but will it hurt anything to use the Google account if I'm willing to take the speed hit? The reason I ask this is that the Google account includes a "phonetic spelling" field that Google Voice Search (or whatever it's called) uses to do voice matches to contacts, and my wife's name doesn't match its phonetic spelling. I've filled in the "nickname" field in DJO so that Samsung's S-Voice will find it, but Google Voice Search won't use the nickname as an alternative - only the phonetic spelling field. Since DJO account contacts aren't editable from the native contacts app, I can't add a phonetic spelling, and thus I can't use Google Voice Search. (an alternate solution would, of course, be for DJO to add a phonetic spelling field)

First-and-a-half: Same question for syncing the calendar to the Google account

Second, if I create a contact in the native app (using the synced-to account), at what point is it supposed to show up in DJO contacts? I feel like sometimes it shows up immediately, and sometimes it waits until I sync to my desktop.

Second-and-a-half: Same question for creating a calendar event in the native app

Third (I asked this in another posting, but it seems relevant to this one, so I'll repeat it here), when I receive a contact in via NFC/S-Beam, my phone asks which account to put it in, and the DJO account isn't one of the options. This is another driver for wanting to sync with a different account. But an alternate solution would be to understand why the DJO account doesn't show up and to fix that problem.

Third-and-a-half: I haven't tried an NFC/S-Beam on the calendar, but I bet it has the same problem.

Fourth, the Samsung calendar app supports tasks. Is there any way to sync those tasks and DJO tasks?
    1) and 1.5) There are no issues with synchronizing to the Google account. We encourage the DejaOffice account - but the choice is up to you.

2) and 2.5) If you sync to Google - when you add a record in native you either have to a) Tap on Read Android data or b) Launch a sync with the PC. Same with calendar. If you sync to the DejaOffice account and choose to add a record to the DejaOffice account - you get sent back to DejaOffice itself. This is the whole point of the DejaOffice account - to simplify the interaction between the two apps.

3) What device does this happen on, the Note 2 or the Kindle Fire? If you tap to manually add a contact record, do you see the DejaOffice account? Or - does this only happen when using the S beam app?

4) We cannot sync DejaTasks to the Task application - we've looked into it, but it is not possible.

-Belinda

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda View Post

Belinda,

That's very helpful - thanks! There are a couple of things that aren't clear to me, though.

First, if I *don't* sync to the cloud, is it safe to use the Google (or phone) account on my phone instead of the DJO account? There are a couple of things that the DJO account doesn't provide for me that I'd really like to have, and I believe syncing to one of the other accounts instead of the DJO account would solve it for me. The first is the "phonetic name" field, which Google Voice Search uses if it doesn't find a name match (my wife's name isn't spelled like it sounds). The second is that when I receive a contact via Samsung's S-Beam, the DJO account isn't presented as an option to receive the contact into.

(of course, adding a phonetic name field to DJO and somehow making the DJO account available as am S-Beam recipient would also solve my problem)

Second, I have the same question for syncing to the calendar - if I don't sync to the cloud, is it safe to use the Google or phone account for that? (similar reasons)

Thanks!
    Rob Freundlich

Samsung Galaxy Note 2/Android 4.1.2/Kernel Version 3.0.31-1098177
    DJO Version 2.5.4 (500)
    CL Version 5070
    Palm Desktop Version 4.1/Windows 7 64-bit
    Local WiFi Sync

I used the Google accounts without saving to the cloud for quite some time and without any issue.
    But let's wait on Belinda's comment ;-)
    Google Pixel, Android 9.0 German, DJO 4.4.9 (1076)
    Office: Win10 x64, Outlook 365 (v2016, up to date) German, CL Express 7050 --- Local WiFi sync --- manual syncing, daily
    Home: Win10 x64, Outlook 365 (v2016, up to date) German, CL Express 7050 --- Local WiFi sync --- manual syncing, occasionally
    Syncing to native Android contacts (DJO account), not syncing to native Android calendar

Quote Originally Posted by RobFreundlich View Post
    Belinda,

That's very helpful - thanks! There are a couple of things that aren't clear to me, though.

First, if I *don't* sync to the cloud, is it safe to use the Google (or phone) account on my phone instead of the DJO account? There are a couple of things that the DJO account doesn't provide for me that I'd really like to have, and I believe syncing to one of the other accounts instead of the DJO account would solve it for me. The first is the "phonetic name" field, which Google Voice Search uses if it doesn't find a name match (my wife's name isn't spelled like it sounds). The second is that when I receive a contact via Samsung's S-Beam, the DJO account isn't presented as an option to receive the contact into.

(of course, adding a phonetic name field to DJO and somehow making the DJO account available as am S-Beam recipient would also solve my problem)

Second, I have the same question for syncing to the calendar - if I don't sync to the cloud, is it safe to use the Google or phone account for that? (similar reasons)

Thanks!
    Yes, and yes. There is no reason not to sync to the Google acct if that is your preference.

+ Reply to Thread