+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What if I have two BB devices?

Hybrid View

What if I have two BB devices?

I have both a BBZ10 and a Playbook.
    I use Time and Chaos as my PC CRM
    I have DejaOffice on both BB devices and use CompanionLink to sync to the Z10
    Now that BB Bridge has disappeared how do I synchronize them all without total confusion?
    Wouldn't a means of synching between Z10 and Playbook be better?
    I don't think this has been well thought out by BB, no lessons learned from the poor roll out of the Playbook

To be clear, BB Bridge still exists, but the functionality of the Playbook acting as a client to the smartphone has been lost. Why?

Mick, welcome to the forums.

I would suggest using DejaOffice on both BB10 and Playbook. Set up the DejaCloud Sync. And then use DejaCloud from the PC. This should work great with everything.

DejaOffice is not quite yet in the BlackBerry World App Store, so you can side load it with instructions here:

http://www.companionlink.com/support..._BlackBerry_10

Thanks DJOCTO,
    I have switched to DejaCloud for sync and it seems to work OK. In fact is less fiddly than USB.
    Interesting that CompanionLink suggest "that you upgrade to our CompanionLink Express product as this will make use of Profiles in order to sync multiple devices".
    I did that (for $80) and while I can set up two profiles (one for Playbook and the other for BB10) DejaOffice doesn't seem to ask for or recognise that they exist. So that appears to be money down the gurgler.

Will DejaOffice be adding functionality to address, or take advantage of, profiles?
    Cheers
    Mick
    Last edited by mickinoz; 03-27-2013 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Clarity

Resolved, in part

CompanionLink has now advised that their Express version is not necessary.

However, I now have duplicated contacts on one device: the situation I was trying to avoid.

Not happy.

I'm sorry about the duplicates. Which device has it?

In DejaOffice, select Settings, DejaContact settings. The last entry is "Merge Duplicate Records". This should resolve the issue.

Thanks DJOCTO,
    They were on the BBZ10 and they then synced back to Time & Chaos.

I'm very wary of auto de-dupes (it is very possible to have several unique "john Smith" records).

So, I recovered the T&C data from its backup and managed to wipe all data on the device and reload via CompanionLink.
    I have found that using Direct USB is highly unreliable, and often just doesn't work on the BBZ10; but WiFi via Deja Cloud works fine.
    So I am now using (successfully, I think/hope):
    - CompanionLink Express with profiles each for the BBZ10 and Playbook
    - Direct USB to sync the Playbook, and
    - WiFi via Deja Cloud to sync the BBZ10

Thanks and regards

Great news.

+ Reply to Thread