Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Push Sync

Exclamation problem with push sync

I decided to give "push sync" a try this morning. As soon as it was started it started syncing -- but it never stopped. It Looping through all of the applications (contacts, tasks, calendar, journal, notes) and finally I had to stop it forcibly. Something must be telling push sync that Outlook is dirty.
    Using Outlook 2016 Pro on a desktop PC running Windows 10/64 bit Pro with a Moto X 2015 Pure with 6.0 Marshmellow. Laptop is a 8 GB Microsoft Surface Pro 4 running windows 10 Pro 64 bit

tbessie,

It is not frequent polling.

I'm not sure if there is a technical definition of "True Push". BlackBerry Push, for instance is a proprietary technology.

For DejaOffice, we use a variant of what Messenger and Twitter use. DejaOffice and the Server are "Chat Clients" and they send a message to each other when the database is dirty. So in effect, DejaOffice is like Twitter where you are logged in all the time to a chat client, and messages push in realttime to you.

In our case, we only "Chat" a notification to do a sync. When a chat is received by DejaOffice, it performs a full sync as if you hit the Sync button.

Quote Originally Posted by bmac View Post
    I decided to give "push sync" a try this morning. As soon as it was started it started syncing -- but it never stopped. It Looping through all of the applications (contacts, tasks, calendar, journal, notes) and finally I had to stop it forcibly. Something must be telling push sync that Outlook is dirty.
    Was this on Android or PC?

If it keeps looping, that is probably unrelated to Push. Try just hitting Sync and see if it goes through. Continuous syncing is more likely the sync system hitting and internal data corruption and unable to get by it. Sometimes ScanPST helps if you are using Outlook. If this doesn't help, our tech support may be able to check our internals to see if we can identify the platform where the data corruption sits (i.e. Is it the Cloud database or Local database...)

Quote Originally Posted by DJOCTO View Post
    tbessie,

It is not frequent polling.

I'm not sure if there is a technical definition of "True Push". BlackBerry Push, for instance is a proprietary technology.

For DejaOffice, we use a variant of what Messenger and Twitter use. DejaOffice and the Server are "Chat Clients" and they send a message to each other when the database is dirty. So in effect, DejaOffice is like Twitter where you are logged in all the time to a chat client, and messages push in realttime to you.

In our case, we only "Chat" a notification to do a sync. When a chat is received by DejaOffice, it performs a full sync as if you hit the Sync button.
    Thanks for the explanation! By "push" I just meant server-initiated (and which would mean that some port on the device would need to be listening all the time, either via keeping it actively open, or a port-connection-attempt-triggered app execution - I'm going from my old knowledge of TCP from my Unix kernel/driver days, so I may be way out of date as far as how those things work now :-) ).

So yeah, server-initiated as opposed to device-initiated, is what I meant.

- Tim
    Sony XZ2 Compact - Android 8.0 (stock)
    DejaOffice v4.4.8, build 1072 - CompanionLink Professional 8, Build 8018
    Outlook 2010 - CL Sync : Outlook <-(WiFi)-> Android

LOL I know too much.

The appearance is that it is server initiated.

In reality is is a TCP/IP wait system where the client is logged into the server, and the server responds when it wants to... As far as I understand this is how all Chat/Twitter style clients work also.

Quote Originally Posted by DJOCTO View Post
    LOL I know too much.
    And now you must die? (sorry, watched too many sci fi movies)

The appearance is that it is server initiated.

In reality is is a TCP/IP wait system where the client is logged into the server, and the server responds when it wants to... As far as I understand this is how all Chat/Twitter style clients work also.
    Thanks again! I need to read up on this stuff. :-)

- Tim
    Sony XZ2 Compact - Android 8.0 (stock)
    DejaOffice v4.4.8, build 1072 - CompanionLink Professional 8, Build 8018
    Outlook 2010 - CL Sync : Outlook <-(WiFi)-> Android