Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Palm Memos won't Sync to Android

Palm Memos won't Sync to Android

I am a new user of DejaOffice with my source being Palm.

I am running Palm Desktop (6.2.2) on Windows 7 with CompanionLink (5.0 Build 5060) synching to DejaOffice (2.4.1) through Deja Cloud to a Motorola Atrix Android phone. I got all my Contacts, Tasks and Calendar entries synched. Works great ... but ...

None of my Palm Memos are getting synched to the Android phone. I expected them to appear in DJO Memos on the phone. Right? NOTE that I can create a new DJO memo on the Android and it gets synched properly to the Palm Desktop.

- I went into Palm HotSync Manager and verified that Memos are correctly set to be synchronized in both directions.
    - I went into CompanionLink and verified that Memos are correctly set to be synchronized in both directions.

Any other ideas?

Thanks, John
    jhderosa <at> yahoo.com

John, welcome to the forums. I'm going to remove the duplicate post, you only need to post once.

I also use DJOA, CL and Palm Desktop 6.2 and have no issues with my memos. Feel free to call tech support and they can run you through some steps.

1. One thing to try is just to Hit "Sync" in DejaOffice Android menu. See if this brings them in.

2. Another thing on PC in CL hit "Reread Palm Desktop data on next sync". This forces a refresh of the data.

If these don't help, post back again and I will see what I can find here.

I was thinking that the duplicate post might bring in others sets of eyes. But I understand.

I had done both of your suggestions 1 and 2 previously. Neither helped.

- I created a new memo on the Android and it synched fine and appeared on the Palm.
    - I created a new memo on the Palm and it did not get synched and appear on the Android.

Other ideas? Corrupted database on the PC?

- John

cemx86, I'm checking the backend so may update this message.

In DejaOffice, a Memo has a Title, and a Body.

In Palm Desktop, a Memo has only a body. So we make a title out of the first line of the Memo.

Are you sure there's not a formatting feature in your Palm Memo, for instance that it starts with a couple blank lines (i.e. no title). In this case it may sync, but it may show as a blank line.

Might there be any other formatting difference? As far as I know Palm Desktop notes are plain text, and not HTML or Rich Text; is this the case with your notes?

What Categories/Private settings do you have? Might the Memos be marked Private in Palm Desktop, with the "Sync Personal" turned off in CompanionLink. This would prevent synchronization of private info.
    Last edited by DJOCTO; 04-25-2013 at 11:16 AM.

Thanks again for your help.

- I have scanned the memos and each appears to have a first line (aka title).
    - They all appear to be plain text. I don't think that Palm supports otherwise.
    - Some memos are private, some are not private. I think memos can be marked private but not categories.

I noted two things that I investigated.

- Two of the categories had a leading space (which was meant to force them to the top of the category list). I renamed these two categories so there are no leading spaces. Didn't help.
    - The first memo (1 of 181) was totally blank. It is in one of the categories with a leading space. I deleted this memo. Didn't help.

More ideas?

I am thinking of backing up the Palm DB (hard drive and inside the my Palm device), uninstalling Palm Desktop and Companion Link, reinstalling and then resynching. What do you think?

Thanks Again, John
    Last edited by cemx86; 04-25-2013 at 12:23 PM.

Don't uninstall. That won't change anything.

We just need a log. Please do the following.

1. Open CompanionLink.
    2. Press CTRL + Shift and "L", then press "OK" on "Logging Enabled."
    3. Press CTRL + Shift and "D", then minimize the Explorer window
    4. Reproduce the steps that resulted in the issue (i.e. run a sync or go through the settings)
    a. Go to Settings, Advanced Settings, Applications
    b. Select "Wipe" for Memos ONLY. Do not wipe any other stuff. Note: This will delete the 2 memos you have from Android and iPhone.
    c. Press Sync
    d. Double check to see if this didn't just fix everything...

5. Open the folder from step 3 and right click on the companionlinklog.log file and select "Send To..." and choose "Compressed (Zipped) Folder"
    6. Send an email to support@dejaoffice.com and attach the companionlinklog.zip file found in the folder from step 3.

I'll tell the support people to send to me when it comes in, or just post here and I can check.

No uninstall. Got it.

I performed steps 1-6. I can see in CompanionLink that the memos total went to zero (from 2). So the 140 memos in the Palm Desktop didn't get synched. Sigh - take...deep...breaths

I put the CompanionLink log file at [redacted]. Hope that this helps.

As an aside, the two (IPhone, Android) test notes were deleted (which you predicted!) - at first this seemed surprising as I can these two memos generated on the phones were sycnched to the Palm Desktop (and to the Palm) - so why not back again. I assume they "disappeared" (from DejaOffice) because we did a wipe and not syched back to the phone for the same reason that my 180 memos won't synch in the first place! They are stuck in Palm-Land until we figure out the problem!

Thanks Again for all your help, John
    Last edited by cemx86; 04-28-2013 at 08:16 PM.

John,

Got the log - and then edited your post to eliminate the URL.

This log definitely shows the problem. Not sure what it is, but I think my programmer will figure it out on Monday.

DJOCTO,

I thought that I'd float this to the top with a ping on status. I'm willing to be a beta tester on some new code. Let me know.

FYI - For fun I installed the latest build of CompanionLink (5062, April 25). I had 5060 installed. No change that I can detect but wasn't really expecting any.

Thanks Again, John
    Last edited by cemx86; 05-02-2013 at 08:55 AM.

John, It's a good thing you pinged. It got fixed, and I totally missed that...

Once of the notes had an unusual character and the encoding system couldn't handle it. This is fixed.

Please download the inhouse build of CL, and it will run... This fix will be incorporated into future releases.

http://www.companionlink.com/inhouse/